PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Stuff Happen When DH is not Home??

StantonHyde
06-05-2013, 01:29 AM
Honestly, my kids are sh!t magnets when DH is not home. I have had to break the news about the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, AND Santa Claus! Have the sex talk and read the book with DS! Puking, pooping, robbery break in--oh yeah, only when DH is working at night!

And tonight--it is time for bed. I tell DS to get off the computer. He can't/doesn't want to shut down and is hiding it from me. Oh no you don't kid! I made him bring it over and it is some gross shooter game (free on the web-great). WHUCK!!!! He is almost 11. He knows better. He knows it is not appropriate.

He starts sobbing that he is an awful person and that he is addicted to these games and has been playing them for a while now. I promptly set up parental controls that only allows him access to PBS kids and told him he is off the computer for 3 days. He is beating himself up--how could he be so stupid? He says he prayed for forgiveness. Honestly, save the drama!!!!!!!!

I told him he made a mistake, he took responsibility for it, he asked for help to make sure he didn't do it again, and we move on. He was thankful I took him off the computer. You would think with all the sobbing and chest thumping etc etc he had run over somebody!!!!

So now I get to call DH tomorrow (I will be at work) and tell him to fix the parental controls and talk with DS when he picks him up tomorrow.

Good gravy. Why can't this happen on DH's watch--just once!!!!!!!

elephantmeg
06-05-2013, 07:26 AM
oh geez! Hugs. DH says the kids only puke at night when I'm at work so I hear you!

hellokitty
06-05-2013, 08:01 AM
Oh, I'm sorry. It does sound as if these things tend to happen when your dh isn't home. Hopefully, nothing else will happen while he's away.

larig
06-05-2013, 08:09 AM
You poor thing! You have had more than your share of tough things!!

momm
06-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Oh I am so sorry.How stressful :(

StantonHyde
06-05-2013, 12:13 PM
ok, some perspective here. At least DH is not in the military and on tour for 6 mos-1 year. There could always be more!

MelissaTC
06-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Always happens that way around here too. I feel for you!

wellyes
06-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Poor kid. It's always harder to discipline the ones that beat themselves up.

gatorsmom
06-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Poor kid. It's always harder to discipline the ones that beat themselves up.

Unless they are faking it-like my kids do. Cha Cha tricks DH every time into thinking he is truly remorseful so that DH (who is a complete wimp where the kids are concerned) doesn't give him any sort of punishment. When Cha Cha tries that with me I just have to ask him a few questions about the behavior in question and he starts to giggle. He's the sneakiest kid I've ever known. :rolleye0014:

Rebecca, I think you have more than had your fair share of drama lately. You should have a week away to recuperate from it. ;)

georgiegirl
06-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Ugh. Hope things settle down soon.

We usually have the opposite problem: when DH is alone with the kids all hell breaks loose. Once I went to trader joes, and by the time I reached the parking lot (it's 2 miles away), DH called and said DD had choked on a peace of candy and had puked all over the kitchen floor and peed in her pants because she was so upset (she was 5). How did the happen in 4 minute?

hillview
06-05-2013, 02:33 PM
WOW that is crazy. You are doing a GREAT job -- WOW.

StantonHyde
06-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Ugh. Hope things settle down soon.

We usually have the opposite problem: when DH is alone with the kids all hell breaks loose. Once I went to trader joes, and by the time I reached the parking lot (it's 2 miles away), DH called and said DD had choked on a peace of candy and had puked all over the kitchen floor and peed in her pants because she was so upset (she was 5). How did the happen in 4 minute?

Oh for pete's sake!!! I think I feel worse for your DH!

StantonHyde
06-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Unless they are faking it-like my kids do.

Rebecca, I think you have more than had your fair share of drama lately. You should have a week away to recuperate from it. ;)

Lisa--he is really sorry. I think this will last another year or so and then the hormones will kick in and he won't care! ack!

I had my annual backpack a month ago--it was lovely. I actually have another week away coming on Monday--I get to go to 4 days of training in an office park outside of Cincinatti. Not close enough to actually see or do anything there, mind you. I am checking Urban Spoon for anything other than steak houses, Bob Evans, or Cracker Barrel. I do plan on runnng every day. And-hey--I will be in a hotel and on an airplane all.by.my.self. In mommyland, that counts!!

gatorsmom
06-05-2013, 04:04 PM
In mommyland, that counts!!

That definitely counts. Enjoy!