PDA

View Full Version : Tipping at the club

wellyes
06-05-2013, 12:23 PM
We joined a pool club which has a snack bar. You just put food/drink from the snack bar on your account. On the receipt, there is a line for tips. Do you tip for every thing? Or just for hot meals? How about alcohol? How much?

AnnieW625
06-05-2013, 12:33 PM
Maybe I am stingy but I only tip for wait staff ordered/served meals. If you order at the walk up counter and pick up at the walkup counter for food I don't tip. I will tip a bartender though. I guess that is kind of a double standard, but with bartenders it has always been kind of expected, the order taker/cashier person I think that is a newish thing (mid 90s maybe) and why should I tip the cashier?

SnuggleBuggles
06-05-2013, 12:33 PM
what kind of service do they provide? Do they deliver food to you? Clean up after you? Just cook the food and you pick up at the counter? Our pool is the latter and so I either don't tip or toss an occasional $1 or loose change into the jar. In your case, putting it on your account vs paying with cash, I'd probably do $1/ order still unless they are doing table service. At that point, I'd do 10-20%, based on your satisfaction.

Philly Mom
06-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Our club automatically adds tip to every food transaction. You may want to verify before you double pay.

lizzywednesday
06-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Maybe I am stingy but I only tip for wait staff ordered/served meals. If you order at the walk up counter and pick up at the walkup counter for food I don't tip. I will tip a bartender though. I guess that is kind of a double standard, but with bartenders it has always been kind of expected, the order taker/cashier person I think that is a newish thing (mid 90s maybe) and why should I tip the cashier?

:yeahthat:

Cashiers are paid minimum wage & do not rely on tips to make ends meet.

Wait & bar staff, OTOH, are paid with the assumption they receive tips & do rely on it.

If someone bends over backwards for me at a place where employees have a better base-pay, I will make the time to fill out a comment card or find the franchise's Facebook page to leave my positive comment about the employee, especially if I am a regular customer.

wellyes
06-05-2013, 12:56 PM
They hand you drinks and chips and whatever, but they will deliver hot meals to your table if there's a wait. Or, you can sit at the counter.

Drinks are poured by the cashier or general staff, there is no bartender. Not sure what to do about that. I'm not accustomed to tipping the cashier, but, I do always tip when I'm at the bar.

westwoodmom04
06-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Our club automatically adds tip to every food transaction. You may want to verify before you double pay.

Ours as well. Do you get a monthly bill or pay each tab? If you get a monthly bill, tip is probably included.

mmsmom
06-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Well if it is like our pool visits where we are at the snack bar multiple times... drinks/snacks, lunch, ice cream I would not tip for every transacation. We pay cash though so I usually put change or a couple dollars in the tip bucket a couple times.

Definitely check to see if there is a service charge added on... there often is at clubs. I would ask other members to see what they do. At a prior club it was common to tip your favorite staff cash at the end of the summer.

wellyes
06-05-2013, 01:13 PM
At a prior club it was common to tip your favorite staff cash at the end of the summer.

I think that's what I'd like to do, I just don't want to seem like a jerk all summer long.....