PDA

View Full Version : perfectionism

Sweetum
06-05-2013, 01:27 PM
DS is somewhat of a perfectionist, and not unexpected given that he has Autism. Things have to be a certain way, in a certain glass, a certain color, etc. we are working through those rigidities and perfectionisms but it's exhausting and annoying when I need to be the same!!! If I don't do things a certain way, I am doomed, if I drop a little bit of food on the floor as I am chasing him to eat, heavens come crashing down!! So, if he doesn't perform perfectly, we are doomed, if I don't perform perfectly, we are doomed. It's exhausting and feels like I am spending the day focusing on getting these little things just right, and this after working on it so much...

crl
06-05-2013, 01:43 PM
:hug: I know how you feel. My ds was similarly rigid at that age and I felt like I lived on pins and needles trying to find the right balance of not catering to that too much but not pushing too hard on the issue, plus the times I would just inadvertently not get it quite right. And the melt downs that ensue, oh, torture. It is just exhausting.

And everyone IRL was complaining about their kids but ds was just a whole other level. At the time I was never sure if I was just a wimp or if ds really was harder. Now that I have dd, OMG, ds really was just so much harder.

Catherine

gatorsmom
06-05-2013, 06:27 PM
I understand how you feel and it is exhausting walking on eggshells. Hugs to you.

sidmand
06-05-2013, 06:37 PM
DS was like this to some extent but DD was worse! And DS is the one with a diagnosis. I know my friends thought I was too coddling but they had "typical" kids and had no idea of the repercussions and some things I just didn't mind.

How old is your DS? I did find it got better as they got older and you could reason with them a bit. It was hard for a long time. Still is but much fewer and farther between.

Sweetum
06-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Thanks, ladies. I am hoping that it gets better as he grows older.

crl
06-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks, ladies. I am hoping that it gets better as he grows older.

For us it is completely gone now. Ds is nearly ten. It got substantially better around age four for us. But ymmv.

Catherine