PDA

View Full Version : Hanes under-skirt shorts at Target

boolady
06-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Maybe everyone has already seen these, but I had never seen them before last night. They're like a Monkeybar Buddy type of under-skirt or dress short made by Hanes, at Target. They were in the girls' section, $8.99 for a two-pack, in several different color combinations. I bought DD two packs-- one with an aqua blue pair and light green pair, and one with a light pink pair and a dark pink pair. They're really lightweight, and DD seemed very happy with them when I showed them to her this morning. I have found it hard in the past to find something reasonably priced to go under her skirts and dresses, so thought I would pass it along. I noticed Old Navy also has some this year.

I can't find them on the Target website, but they were in store. Here's a link to a blogger's website (no affiliation with me) for anyone who's interested in what I'm talking about:

http://www.ladyandtheblog.com/2013/05/16/play-shorts-girls-play/

sariana
06-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Thanks! Were they in the underwear section?

boolady
06-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Thanks! Were they in the underwear section?

No. Sorry, I should have said that. They actually had them very cleverly merchandised hanging, on pegs, on a rack that had a bunch of summer skirts, though it may vary by store.

wendibird22
06-06-2013, 09:46 AM
I also found "bike" shorts for DDs at Walmart. The toddler size were with the Garanamals mix/match t's and shorts. They have a bit of a lace band at the bottom of the short. I was able to get DD2 black, grey and hot pink (I think they had white too). In the girl's sizes they had Danskin shiny lycra kind. I got DD1 black, hot pink and white. I was worried about them being hot since they aren't 100% cotton but DD1 likes them and wears them often.

Here's the toddler style: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Garanimals-Baby-Girls-Biker-Short/23014728

Here's the girl's style: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danskin-Now-Girls-Compression-Short/22631135

elbenn
06-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks for posting. These look great!

athompson
06-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Thanks for posting! I'll definitely pick some up for our girls. I'd like some for me too...maybe the XL girls will fit me:wink2:

Melaine
06-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Thank you! These look great. How long are they?

athompson, you are a genius, I would love to try the XL for me as well!

TwinFoxes
06-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Thanks OP! I hope they come in DDs' size.

boolady
06-06-2013, 11:28 AM
How long are they?

Hmm. I hope my explanation makes sense. Shorter than bike shorts, for sure, but not so short that there's a risk of any behind hanging out. DD put them on this morning and asked to wear them as shorts to school (um, no, they're very fitted), but they definitely have some inseam of maybe 2 inches to them.

elektra
06-06-2013, 11:41 AM
We will have to try these, thanks.
We have also been happy with the Old Navy ones for under dresses, especially DD's school uniform dress. We call them "shortsies" :). I personally like them shorter so they don't hang out from underneath the skirt or dress.

boolady
06-06-2013, 12:08 PM
We call them "shortsies" :). I personally like them shorter so they don't hang out from underneath the skirt or dress.

Poor DD still calls them "bloomies" from when she was a baby and I always called them bloomers. Technically, that's what she's still using-- 5T diaper covers from old toddler Gap dresses. :bag She's 51 inches tall, but thin, and they still fit her, even though she wears a 7 or 8, often slim. When I saw these last night, I thought it was time to move on.

Although they may be an inch or so longer than hot pants length, they won't show under any of DD's dresses or skirts I can think of, including her Boden pleated knit skirt that's pretty short at this point. They are definitely not as long on DD as they are in the illustration silhouette on the package, which is good as far as I am concerned.

daisysmom
06-06-2013, 12:55 PM
We got 2 pairs for my 6 year old DD at the start of the summer. In our Target, they were smack in the rear middle of the clothing section, on a rack. Not with the undewear, but kind of near the sale stuff.

I had previously, this winter, ordered some biking shorts (I think they were called) from Gymberee which were on sale for something like 2 for $8. The gymbo ones are cotton, and lim fitting all the way down. I sized up to 7s but those are baggy (she wears those as shorts) but the 6s are perfect for under the dresses. The Target ones are "slinky" material, but cut not like biking shorts... they are (for want of a better term) like 1980s style running shorts. I swear my highschool gym unifrom had the same kind of shorts. But my DD likes them, though they are definitely shorter than the typical biking shorts look. I keep a pair of these and a pair of biking shorts in the car... as several times we were 20 minutes away from home nearly at school this spring and my DD said "oh my gosh, I forgot to put biking shorts on". While last year and before she would not have ever thought twice or cared about sharing her undewear on monkey bars during recess, the kindergarten year has really been nutso about that. So keeping a pair or two of these in my car has been a lifesaver!

egoldber
06-06-2013, 01:30 PM
I saw these at Target this weekend and they looked a lot more like underwear than shorts to me. They had a slinky/silky texture.

Younger DD wears the bike shorts from Target or Gymbo under her dresses. Like a PP said, sizing down makes them fit more snugly be less obvious.

http://www.target.com/p/circo-bg-bike-short/-/A-14308777#prodSlot=medium_1_14

VClute
06-07-2013, 07:53 AM
I like the "cartwheel" shorts at children's place. They're cotton, but shorter than bike shorts, with vents and bows at the sides.

mypa
06-07-2013, 12:25 PM
I like the "cartwheel" shorts at children's place. They're cotton, but shorter than bike shorts, with vents and bows at the sides.

I like the Children's Place one, too. I got one for DD last year and they were so nice I went back to get some more, maybe 2 months later, and they were sold out.

a2mom
06-07-2013, 02:17 PM
I found the playshorts today at Target: at this store, they were on an end section of the girls' underwear.They look like they'll work fine - silky material so they don't stick to dresses and they come in cute colors.

I also looked at the cartwheel shorts at Children's Place (20% off today, BTW) - they look really cute but it's a little cheaper to get the 2 pk at Target for $8 less 5% discount w/ REDdebit card than to buy the TCP cartwheel shorts.

AnnieW625
06-07-2013, 03:32 PM
We got the Monkey Bar Buddy knockoffs from Target last summer and they work pretty well. DD1 preferred them to the Cartwheel Shorts from TCP. She also really likes the uniform under shorts that our uniform company sells because they are longer than the MBB knockoffs, but aren't as long as a bike short (so they don't show) and when it is really hot she and the other daycare kids who have them have been allowed to take off their skirt or jumper and just wear their top and the shorts. The uniform under shorts are $8 or $10 a piece, but we have two of them and they are well worth it.

Thanks for the Hanes rec., I wonder if they come in a size 4, DD2 will need some for pre k next year just in case the uniform company doesn't sell their shorts in XXS or XS.

Also a few years ago Lands End had some great short shorts that were great for under skirts and dresses for DD1.

Nooknookmom
06-08-2013, 12:08 PM
I don't think DD would like the skinny waistband on the Hanes. She is super picky about seams. THey are kinda short and to me still kinda look like chonies. The boys in first grade are sharp and may make commemts! ESP if my tomboy does flips like she usually does! I may try the cartwheel shorts from TCP thx for that tip! They look more like shorts.

We have always used ON bike shorts and Gymbo bike shorts for under dresses, that way I get them on sale for $5 and she can wear them as shorts or under dresses...