PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the little car w/handle for toddler?

Melaine
06-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Like this:
http://www.step2.com/p/Push-Around-Buggy

I saw one on CL and am tempted to try it with DS who is a big pain and has been refusing to ride in the stroller. The girls would probably enjoy pushing him also. But I'm not sure if it's a waste of space. Any feedback?

crl
06-06-2013, 10:31 AM
We used a neighbor's. It was fun for an occasional toy. No way would I use it as a stroller substitute. It's not easy enough to steer or push for any real distance, IMO. And it would be really tough to curb jump with one. Plus it's kind of loud, which would drive me nuts.

Catherine

Melaine
06-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Well, I'm certainly not getting rid of my stroller. However, outings are consisting of my holding DS and pushing the stroller. It's awful....I'm thinking this might be nice for the park maybe.

chozen
06-06-2013, 10:45 AM
We have one I bought at a garage sale and we like it. I have seen them used as stroller replacement many times. I agree with pp about them not being ideal for this but hey it beats trying to fight with them to keep them in the stroller! I think they are fine for short outings. Forgot to mention mine is an older one, someone told me (not sure if this is true) that the newer ones are bigger and have cup holders for parents and a longer handle which would make them much better for strolling use.

crl
06-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Well, I'm certainly not getting rid of my stroller. However, outings are consisting of my holding DS and pushing the stroller. It's awful....I'm thinking this might be nice for the park maybe.

We have one I bought at a garage sale and we like it. I have seen them used as stroller replacement many times. I agree with pp about them not being ideal for this but hey it beats trying to fight with them to keep them in the stroller! I think they are fine for short outings.

I guess it's just a matter of what is worse for you. I walk three or more miles most days, a lot of them with the dog. It would be nearly impossible with one of those little cars. Dd just doesn't have a choice about the stroller a lot of the time, just like she doesn't have a choice about riding in the car seat.

For me, if its too far to carry a kid, it would be too far to push one if those little cars, but ymmv.

Catherine

chozen
06-06-2013, 11:02 AM
I just looked online and the new ones are bigger,have cup holder for parents AND the front wheels can turn.

elbenn
06-06-2013, 11:19 AM
I don't have one but a neighbor does and she uses it a lot for walks around the block.

psimpson3-5
06-06-2013, 11:25 AM
I have this w/a handle. My mother gave it to DS for his birthday. He LOVES it. He thinks it so fun. He esp loves to get in and out of it. (The door doesn't lock :nono:) We walk around the neighborhood in it, but that's about it. We didn't pay for it, but if I had seen it at a garage sale or cheap on CL, I probably would have bought it for him. Since the handle is adjustable, he likes pushing it too, but it's quite fast for him. We help slow it down by holding on to the roof handle.

kaharris83
06-06-2013, 11:44 AM
We have one but we stopped using it because it was SO loud. I worried about hearing loss. I made DH use it on the grass but it was a pain to push there so now it goes unused. They do make ones with rubber wheels for a quieter ride.

gatorsmom
06-06-2013, 11:46 AM
We had one and the kids loved it. When older kids would ride their bikes in the driveway I'd push the little ones around in this car. It was easy to steer, IMO. Oh and it was easy for the kids to get into and out of by themselves.

I could see using it to push a child a few blocks to a park or a friends house. But it couldn't replace a true walking/jogging stroller. But I think you knew that. :wink2:

Depending on the amount the sellers want, I'd say get it. It should be easy to resell.

klwa
06-06-2013, 12:32 PM
My dad has one that all of the grandkids (including the 12 year old until about a year ago) would fight to get to use. Daddy used to use it at the zoo, etc. regularly. Now that the kids closest to him are older, it doesn't get taken out as much.

Melaine
06-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Wow this is definitely not the fancy one with cupholders! Thanks for all the feedback. I think I may try to get if I can get to that side of town. I feel like we could get enough use out of it to make it worth it.

mmsmom
06-06-2013, 02:59 PM
The newer version (after about 2008) has wheels that are supposed to be quieter. We had the loud version but it still got a lot of use & we just passed it on to a neighbor.

s7714
06-06-2013, 03:36 PM
We use ours all the time. I hauled it to school for pick-up/drop off nearly every day this year because DS (2 years old) willingly sits in it! It is loud unfortunately. I do wish it was easier to steer too, but if you pop wheelies it's much easier to navigate turns. ;)

Tenasparkl
06-06-2013, 03:40 PM
My DS (same age as yours) uses DD's old pink car like that every day. He LOVES it. He likes riding in it, pushing it, opening and closing the hood. I'm so glad I didn't get rid of it just because it was pink!

YouAreTheFocus
06-06-2013, 07:24 PM
We have one of the newer ones, where the handle actually steers by turning the front wheels. I find it surprisingly awesome. It is great one-handed, easier than any (2 handle) stroller. I have pushed that thing all over the place, even carted it on the bus a few times for DC pickups. DS will be 4 in the fall and still loves it.

KrisM
06-06-2013, 08:58 PM
We had one and the kids loved it. When older kids would ride their bikes in the driveway I'd push the little ones around in this car. It was easy to steer, IMO. Oh and it was easy for the kids to get into and out of by themselves.

I could see using it to push a child a few blocks to a park or a friends house. But it couldn't replace a true walking/jogging stroller. But I think you knew that. :wink2:

Depending on the amount the sellers want, I'd say get it. It should be easy to resell.

That's how we used it, too. It was great when DD was 1 and wanted to play with the "big" kids of 3-5 years old and they were cruising down the street on bikes and scooters. Same thing for DS2. It was good until age 2 or so and then the summer they were 3, they had moved on to their own scooters, bikes, etc.

I wouldn't go too far with one. I did take it to the bus stop a number of times.

jgenie
06-06-2013, 09:29 PM
We had one and both boys loved it. I wish you lived nearby. We are ready to get rid of ours - it's sitting in the garage waiting to be donated.

mnosky1
06-08-2013, 12:33 PM
If you want something for stroller replacement (like in stores, etc)- I've seen people with smaller things that are a cross between a trike and a stroller- but more likely you'd call it a stroller. I'm sorry I can't be if more help however, but maybe ask on stroller board? I used our Ketler trike a couple times but mostly outside, walks, a festival etc, - it maneuvered pretty well. I had heard the trike/stroller is popular in Europe but don't know.
A

Melaine
06-10-2013, 02:52 PM
We had one and both boys loved it. I wish you lived nearby. We are ready to get rid of ours - it's sitting in the garage waiting to be donated.

That's so sweet!! Too bad shipping is so pricey!:ROTFLMAO:

I went ahead and bought the one on my craigslist for $15. I figure for that price if he doesn't like it we will just pass it along or re-sell. If it works for just ONE park or zoo trip I will probably feel like it was worth it at this point! (I'm carrying him so much that I'm worried I'm hurting my wrist...it is sore almost constantly now.)

I will let you guys know if my picky little guy likes the push car!

lovebebes
06-10-2013, 03:00 PM
we have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Step2-824200-Pink-Whisper-Buggy/dp/B008CO812U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370890442&sr=8-2&keywords=quiet+buggy

i absolutely swear by it. DD3 much like my other two refused to sit in the stroller at quite an early age. she adores her pink car and never once has refused to sit in it. We use it for walks around our area and for the outdoor shopping center/play center we go to all the time-they are kind enough to let me "valet" it at the valet service (we just tuck it behind a bench there). SO much better than a stroller for us!

Melaine
06-10-2013, 03:16 PM
we have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Step2-824200-Pink-Whisper-Buggy/dp/B008CO812U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370890442&sr=8-2&keywords=quiet+buggy

i absolutely swear by it. DD3 much like my other two refused to sit in the stroller at quite an early age. she adores her pink car and never once has refused to sit in it. We use it for walks around our area and for the outdoor shopping center/play center we go to all the time-they are kind enough to let me "valet" it at the valet service (we just tuck it behind a bench there). SO much better than a stroller for us!

That one looks really nice! The one we got is definitely a step down but hey if he likes it as much as your DD I would totally upgrade. :ROTFLMAO:awesome!

Melaine
06-23-2013, 09:36 AM
so DS loves this thing. our only issue is that he sticks his feet out purposely and drags them on the pavement....so much for reselling those stride rites. anyway, really happy with the car. Have used it probably 10 times in the last week and used the stroller....0 times.