PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to see a doctor for this?

ExcitedMamma
06-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Ok this is so embarrassing...I've been having diarrhea now for over a month. I've added yogurt to my diet to try to help but its not changing anything. I haven't seen a primary care doctor where we live so I don't have one. Is this something I should see a doctor for? I was hoping that it was related to my DD sleeping through the night and by body getting ready to start AF again but that hasn't happened. I've never had any issues with dairy but I tried eliminating it and nothing changed. I love bread its seriously a staple for me and my DH has Celiacs so there's no way I could suddenly have it too, right? If I were to cut out gluten how soon would anything change if that's what this is?

I'm worried its just a stress reaction or something and I don't want to deal with embarrassing doctor visit and getting DH to take time off to watch the kids...but do I need to make an appointment?

weech
06-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Have you tried pepto? Personally, I'd go see a doctor. You could have a food allergy, IBS, or some other issue. Your body seems to be telling you something is wrong.

lizzywednesday
06-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Have you tried pepto? Personally, I'd go see a doctor. You could have a food allergy, IBS, or some other issue. Your body seems to be telling you something is wrong.

:yeahthat:

I'd actually have gone to a doc for a workup after having it for over a couple of days if it were me. I would be concerned about dehydration and nutrient loss.

I know it's a hassle with small children, but a well mama is a happy mama!

wendibird22
06-06-2013, 12:48 PM
I would see a doc. And yes, it could be celiac or even gluten sensitivity (I'm pretty sure that mine was caused by pregnancy). Most people I know with a gluten issue who have loose stool as a result see improvement in that within a week or so...now not complete normal mind you, but improvement. That said, if you think you'll see a doc DO NOT quit gluten please. If you get tested for celiac you have to be on a full gluten diet for accurate testing.

And it could be stress. Or imbalance of gut flora (try a probiotic instead of yogurt...or in addition to). Is this a once a day thing or several times a day? Is this the only symptom or are there other things bothering you (headache, heartburn, bloating, aches/pains, exhaustion, etc? Have you been ill in the past few months? Taking any medications? Travel recently where you could've picked up a stomach bug?

You could start a food and symptom diary. That's pretty easy to do. Track what you've eaten and what symptoms you have and when/how often.

daisysmom
06-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Not to get graphic, but if you are having diarrea like water shooting out with just a few seconds warning and stomach pains, then yes, I would say to see a doctor. I have had loose stools off and on for years and years and went to see a GI guy once who told me that there is a difference b/t loose stools and diarrea.

Like PP, I would opt for seeing a dr versus trying to eliminate something yourself since you have gone this long. I have suspected a gluten intolerance for me and I just went gluten free/paleo/whole30. I am glad I did this, but now I will never know if I have a true intolerance b/c I would seriously never be able to do the trial necessary to test it.

georgiegirl
06-06-2013, 01:11 PM
I would definitely go to the doctor. You might have c. diff., which can be very serious. My stepmom had it and her main symptom was diarrhea. It got so bad she lots tons of weight before the GI doctors figured things out. Have you been on antibiotics recently?

ett
06-06-2013, 02:17 PM
A month is a long time. I'd get it checked out by the doc.

babyonway
06-06-2013, 05:44 PM
I would definitely go to the doctor. You might have c. diff., which can be very serious. My stepmom had it and her main symptom was diarrhea. It got so bad she lots tons of weight before the GI doctors figured things out. Have you been on antibiotics recently?

:yeahthat: I had C diff and it was AWFUL.

I got it from Levaquin. BOO! Did the onset coincide with taking any antibiotics.

Tondi G
06-06-2013, 07:58 PM
You could try a homeopathic to help slow things down in your gut ... see if it helps.

I've used this one and it worked well. http://www.boironusa.com/products/podophyllum-peltatum/

I second the rec to get some probiotic powder/capsules rather than eating yogurt ... it's just not the same!

KLD313
06-06-2013, 08:07 PM
That's also a symptom of hypERtyroidism and Graves Disease.

hillview
06-09-2013, 08:23 PM
I've had this (still do). Went to my doc, I had a bunch of blood tests done. They resulted in nothing (they were looking for cdiff, gluten issues/celiac, and a parasite). So then I had a colonoscpy and they found I have some issue with my lining. I cannot remember the real dx, will find my post and link.

All that said, go see the doctor.

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=458039&highlight=colonoscopy

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=454556&highlight=colonoscopy

babyonway
06-16-2013, 11:29 PM
Ok this is so embarrassing...I've been having diarrhea now for over a month. I've added yogurt to my diet to try to help but its not changing anything. I haven't seen a primary care doctor where we live so I don't have one. Is this something I should see a doctor for? I was hoping that it was related to my DD sleeping through the night and by body getting ready to start AF again but that hasn't happened. I've never had any issues with dairy but I tried eliminating it and nothing changed. I love bread its seriously a staple for me and my DH has Celiacs so there's no way I could suddenly have it too, right? If I were to cut out gluten how soon would anything change if that's what this is?

I'm worried its just a stress reaction or something and I don't want to deal with embarrassing doctor visit and getting DH to take time off to watch the kids...but do I need to make an appointment?

ExcitedMamma, how are you doing?

ExcitedMamma
06-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Thanks for asking! I'm still pretty miserable. I got a couple of recommendations for doctors but they are either not seeing any patients or booked until August. I had no idea about probiotics so I've started taking those. I hate yogurt so can I stop eating yogurt and just stick to the probiotics? I haven't taken any prescriptions so this isn't a side effect. My stomach just hurts like I need to go have a bowel movement but there's actually very little output during those times so maybe loose stool is a better description. Ugh so awful! It's like gas pains or something and doesn't go away for awhile. Not sure what I should do about it.

babyonway
06-23-2013, 11:36 PM
Yogurt is good but if you can't stomach it then at least taking the probiotic should help. Are the dr. recommendations for GI drs? If you can't get in to one quickly I would at least see your PCP about it.

Still-in-Shock
06-24-2013, 12:00 AM
Years ago, I had a bad bout of IBS triggered by stress. I cut dairy and fish out of my diet for a while, and took lactobacilis tablets. I also added bran and rice to my diet.
The BRATT (bananas, rice, applesauce, tea and dry toast) diet is also good for diarrhea. But these just treat the symptoms, so while they might help you until you can get into a doctor, you should consider going to a doctor, even if it is your gyn, and get some bloodwork done, because this has been going on for so long.

But also try to figure out what happened about a month ago that might have set this off. Where you on any strong antibiotics? Did something upset you? That will help rule out some things.

Melaine
06-24-2013, 07:41 AM
I have had a lot of tummy issues which I think are linked to several things. Less than ideal diet, stress, and for a long time candida (overgrowth of yeast in the body). When I was in the worst of it, I tried a ton of different things. The only thing that gave me any relief was a colonic. It made a HUGE difference. I had another a couple years later and the same result. I need another one now. For me, I tend to have loose stools all the time. My PCP is wanting me to do a colonoscopy but I'm not convinced that it's worth it. I get my colonics from a natural doctor that was trained by Native American medicine men, but you can get it in a clinical setting as well. It's amazing the difference it makes.

hillview
06-24-2013, 10:49 AM
I finally got in to see my GI doctor, she told me to cut down on veggies, NO raw veggies and take pepto (1.5 of the cups it comes with) 3x a day. I have been free of loose stool/direaha since!!

ExcitedMamma
06-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate the suggestions!

I finally got in to see my GI doctor, she told me to cut down on veggies, NO raw veggies and take pepto (1.5 of the cups it comes with) 3x a day. I have been free of loose stool/direaha since!!

I really love the idea of just taking pepto and being done with this! Is this for just one day or ongoing? What does pepto do?

hillview
06-24-2013, 12:22 PM
I really love the idea of just taking pepto and being done with this! Is this for just one day or ongoing? What does pepto do?
She told me to do it for 30 days. It is a mega dose for sure. It coats my colon to make it less upset (lay woman explination).

JamiMac
06-26-2013, 06:40 PM
She told me to do it for 30 days. It is a mega dose for sure. It coats my colon to make it less upset (lay woman explination).

Can I ask if you can still eat raw fruits? Thanks!