PDA

View Full Version : Eating nonstop

flashy09
06-06-2013, 08:13 PM
I am feeling so gross - constantly tired and with this weird hunger/nausea feeling. I feel low grade nauseous and get a growling stomach combined with feeling weak (feels like low blood sugar) every 1-2 hrs and eating is all that helps. It worries me that it's not true hunger, but a hormonal/blood sugar issue and that all this eating is just going to pack on the pounds. But my stomach IS truly growling. I don't want light snacks either, I just crave substantial, protein filled food. I am a bit underweight so trying not to freak out, but at the same time I feel like I am going to gain 50 lbs if I keep going.

Does this pass after the first trimester? Could it be hypoglycemia?

TxCat
06-06-2013, 08:26 PM
I am feeling so gross - constantly tired and with this weird hunger/nausea feeling. I feel low grade nauseous and get a growling stomach combined with feeling weak (feels like low blood sugar) every 1-2 hrs and eating is all that helps. It worries me that it's not true hunger, but a hormonal/blood sugar issue and that all this eating is just going to pack on the pounds. But my stomach IS truly growling. I don't want light snacks either, I just crave substantial, protein filled food. I am a bit underweight so trying not to freak out, but at the same time I feel like I am going to gain 50 lbs if I keep going.

Does this pass after the first trimester? Could it be hypoglycemia?

I felt the same way - constantly nauseated, but I was still snacking constantly because I would feel better while I was actually eating and for about 15 minutes afterwards - then I would feel crummy again. And I felt way too crummy to work out - too nauseated and too tired. Despite throwing up at least 2-4x/week throughout the first trimester, I did gain a good amount of weight during the first trimester - 12-14 lbs. But, it slowed down considerably during the second and third trimester, and once I started feeling better mid-second trimester I was able to work out again too, which helped. Hopefully, you'll have a similar experience. Good luck - I know it feels miserable right now.

Philly Mom
06-06-2013, 08:58 PM
I firmly believe that during pregnancy our bodies tell us what they need and we should listen to it. Your body needs food so I would not worry about it. For me, I have a bad habit of eating too much when not pregnant but when pregnant I am much better about listening to my body. Only way to make it through the day.

BDKmom
06-06-2013, 09:49 PM
I was exactly like this with DS. I would eat a cereal bar and milk on the way to work, a bowl of oatmeal when I got to work, a cup of fruit about an hour before lunch, lunch, cheese and crackers around 2, and a handful of nuts on the way home. Then get home, take a nap until dinner, eat a huge dinner, then go to bed. Lasted the first trimester, then tapered off as I got into the second. I tried not to worry as it wasn't like I was eating donuts and Oreos. I ended up gaining 22 lbs for the pregnancy, and I am an average weight person.

I would just try to focus on having high protein/fiber/good fat stuff on hand and not worry. You are growing another person and your body needs energy. And like PP, I believe that if we listen to our body, it lets us know what it needs.

BunnyBee
06-06-2013, 11:36 PM
If you're eating healthy food, don't worry about it! Now doughnuts every 1-2 hours would be another story. ;)

One of the few things I could eat and keep down was turkey breast. I avoided lunch meat, so I just roasted the breast and ate slices. You could do roast chicken breast too. I don't think super strict low-fat is healthy, but lean proteins are good too.

Any chance you could be having twins? :p

bostonsmama
06-07-2013, 02:03 PM
I was really hungry this first trimester, too, especially before 7 weeks when the worst nausea hit. All I craved was fat and protein. I'd have real cheese and tortilla chips, hard boiled eggs with mayonaise drizzled on the yolk, pistachios and milk, unsweetened raw almond butter on bread, lots of eggs for breakfast...it was insane. As I've hit 13 weeks, it's tapered for sure. At first I was up 5 lbs, but as I layed off the strange cravings for chips and potato salad w/ egg (mayo is the theme of this pregnancy-LOL), I'm now up a healthy 1.5-2lbs for the first trimester. I started at a healthy BMI this time, too (21.0, 20.0 last time), and I gained 27 lbs w/ my first pregnancy. I'm hoping it's less than 35lbs this time around, too. I have the hardest time gaining weight in my 2nd trimester, usually, so we'll see where my cravings take me this time.

flashy09
06-07-2013, 03:09 PM
I feel a little more normal today - I gave in to the cravings and ate a bigger lunch with more fat and protein and that helped. I think before I was eating smaller meals because I knew I had just snacked and was going to snack again in an hour, but today I made myself a hearty meal (egg and cheese sandwich....organic and on high fiber bread, but I usually never eat that sort of thing)...it was so good. Had some cantaloupe with it and actually am still feeling fine 3 hrs later.

My last pregnancy I was so active with the horses and doing hard physical labor all day, I think I didn't feel the tiredness as much. Now being home with DD, I can't get off the couch. Still in my pajamas now! Even putting on makeup seems like a huge ordeal. So scared this is going to last the whole time!

The twins comment is interesting as I keep thinking about twins! Wonder if that's a sign, lol. Have a scan on Monday and now it's really in the back of my mind!

pastrygirl
06-07-2013, 05:28 PM
My pregnancy with my youngest was like that. I needed PROTEIN all the time. I kept huge batches of chili in the fridge at all times. I've never eaten so much meat in my life as I did during that pregnancy! And now he's a huge meat eater.