PDA

View Full Version : Poly or YC with kids

Mommaof3
06-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Trying to decide between these two resorts. The Poly seems more kid friendly, esp having the monorail access but wondering if location of YC is better being able to walk to Epcot. I think my older kids (12&10) would love the location of YC and pool better but thinking Poly would be "easier" with my 3 year old. Thoughts? Thanks!

123LuckyMom
06-07-2013, 10:04 AM
We stayed at the Poly in the Tahiti longhouse. It was very, very close to the transportation and ticketing center (TTC), where you can get the monorail, ferry, or busses directly to any park or other resort. It's the transportation hub for WDW, and that's why we chose that resort. We had a scooter and an infant in a stroller, so with that many wheels, our priority was ease of transportation. Every resort is family friendly, so that's not really an issue.

megs4413
06-07-2013, 02:21 PM
I think your general take is right on. Is there a significant price or view difference? Do you know if there is a conference booked at YC during your stay? Do you plan to do the pool quite often? Do you have the dining plan?

I'm a big poly fan, but I think I'd do the YC if I were in your shoes....it's my plan for our next trip.

Mommaof3
06-07-2013, 02:39 PM
The Poly is about $60 more a night...I think we will get a meal plan.

How do you find out if there are conf. at the hotel that week? Call them?

I know all Disney resorts are kid friendly, but the more I am reading it sounds like BC is more geared towards kids than the YC but I really like the idea of a balcony that YC offers. We do plan on being at pool a lot. My kids love pools/slides. hoping the weather cooperates!!

How the heck do you make up your mind about a resort??? I am making myself nuts lol!

hellokitty
06-07-2013, 02:58 PM
When are you going? If you are going when it's hot and you will definitely get pool time, I'd definitely lean toward YC. Your older kids will love SAB, but your 3 yr old will still like it too. The Poly is going to undergo construction soon for the new DVC resort, so I would be concerned about construction noise.

Mommaof3
06-07-2013, 03:03 PM
We are planning to go the 2nd week in Nov. after Jersey Week lol. Never heard of that before. I am a Disney novice and have learned a ton in the last week reading up on stuff. Thanks for the heads up on the Poly renovations, I had no idea!

megs4413
06-07-2013, 04:19 PM
The Poly is about $60 more a night...I think we will get a meal plan.

I would lean toward YC knowing this for a few reasons:

1. your olders will love SAB
2. there are SO many restaurants (both QS and TS) within walking distance in the boardwalk area that you could enjoy if you are on the meal plan. I love the restaurants at the Poly, but there are only 3 (1 QS, 2 TS) and that's it. they are GREAT, but there aren't endless options like in the boardwalk area with so many resorts packed closely together.
3. you have a very "walkable" group....with 4 of you being totally walkable and just the one stroller, you may find that walking to DHS and Epcot is easier/more convenient for you than taking the monorail to MK would be. I have to consider this an advantage for you. my kids LOVE epcot. LOVE it.
4. there's a price difference....

How do you find out if there are conf. at the hotel that week? Call them? yes I would just call. I think it all depends on who answers the call, though, in terms of how helpful will they be....i consider conferences a plus, because frequently it means less kids....i love my own kids...other people's when I'm trying to sleep in a hotel? not so much. ;) that's just a personal preference.

I know all Disney resorts are kid friendly, but the more I am reading it sounds like BC is more geared towards kids than the YC but I really like the idea of a balcony that YC offers. We do plan on being at pool a lot. My kids love pools/slides. hoping the weather cooperates!!
that's the one concern for me with putting too much emphasis on swimming during your trip...the weather will be unpredictable at that time of year and may even be cool.

How the heck do you make up your mind about a resort??? I am making myself nuts lol!
I do this every single time I plan...I can't even tell you how many times i've switched resorts while planning....

megs4413
06-07-2013, 04:23 PM
We are planning to go the 2nd week in Nov. after Jersey Week lol. Never heard of that before. I am a Disney novice and have learned a ton in the last week reading up on stuff. Thanks for the heads up on the Poly renovations, I had no idea!

in terms of the renovations for DVC, I would not put too much stock into it. It seems pretty certain that *something* is going to start happening at the end of this year, but no one is quite sure what or when exactly. the info I think is probably "most likely" to be accurate would put the construction on the opposite side of the resort from my recommended longhouses, and therefore, probably wouldn't be a significant issue.

Mommaof3
06-08-2013, 04:27 PM
My SIL got a pin for free dining the week we are going, anyone know if that will be made available to the public? Would love to get free dining if I can.

hellokitty
06-08-2013, 06:50 PM
My SIL got a pin for free dining the week we are going, anyone know if that will be made available to the public? Would love to get free dining if I can.

Is she going? If so, she can book 3 rooms under her name with her pin. As for public pins, there's no way to know if they will do them or it. You can always call Disney to see if they will transfer the pin to your. Same since you are family.

Mommaof3
06-09-2013, 10:50 AM
No they are not going. I called and they said she could not transfer pin to us.

megs4413
06-10-2013, 01:28 PM
No they are not going. I called and they said she could not transfer pin to us.

There is a chance this PIN will go public because they seem to have sent out A LOT of them. If they get a lot of takers, though, with the private PIN, they won't need to go public with it. You can always keep calling and ask if there IS a PIN under your name and you just haven't gotten it in the mail yet. I have done it and had success that way to get them to release what eventually became a public discount to me before it was public.

Mommaof3
06-10-2013, 01:46 PM
I just sent away for the planning DVD, is that how they get your info for the pins or do I need to register some other way?

megs4413
06-10-2013, 02:02 PM
I just sent away for the planning DVD, is that how they get your info for the pins or do I need to register some other way?

no one knows the answer to that. clearly Disney has to get your info from somewhere, so I tell people to order the DVD and also to register on the website and plan some dummy vacations they won't ever take. but, truly, it's a total mystery as to how Disney chooses who to send PINs to. we got one once we couldn't use. My mom has gotten like 3! we used one of them when she came along with us one time and it was the BEST discount i've ever gotten. 35% off the room.

Mommaof3
06-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks, I went ahead and registered. Fingers crossed..
Pretty sure we are going to book the Poly, my oldest DD saw pics and fell in love!

123LuckyMom
06-10-2013, 04:40 PM
For us, once we went we started getting pins up the wazoo. I think you should just keep bugging them.