PDA

View Full Version : Favorite books for 8 y/o girl going into 3rd grade?

jerseygirl07067
06-07-2013, 03:48 PM
She reads at grade level, and has never been much of a reader. Now that school is out and we have more time, I'd like to find books that really captivate her and keep her attention. I am hoping with more reading, her reading will improve too.

Please share your recommendations!!

georgiegirl
06-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Clementine
Ramona books
Ivy and Bean

cilantromapuche
06-07-2013, 04:00 PM
I think it all depends on what she is into. What has she liked to read in the past? I also highly recommend audiobooks (the incorrigibles of Ashton Place are some of our favorites). Dd has here own CD player so she can draw while lstening.
in addition to those above:
Sisters 8 series
fairy tale detectives by Michael buckley

If you search past threads you will find some great suggestion as well

BabyBearsMom
06-07-2013, 04:15 PM
I remember devouring Romona books at that age.

quinnsmom
06-07-2013, 04:21 PM
The Doll People series by Ann Martin.

Percycat
06-07-2013, 04:25 PM
My 8yr DD is also going int 3rd grade and reads at level -- and is just now starting to get confidence to read books.

She likes AtoZ Mysteries and the Calender Mysteries by Ron Roy.

She also really enjoyed reading The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy and plans to read others in the series this summer. This story is about a young witch in her first year at a magical boarding school, similar to Harry Potter except this series is cute, funny, and all about girls.

I look forward to the ideas in this thread.
angela

jren
06-07-2013, 07:06 PM
My DD liked Dork Diaries at that age.

brittone2
06-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Ditto The Doll People. Those are fun.

Does she like animals?

EB White? Roald Dahl?

Would AG stories appeal? They aren't high literature but there's some pretty educational stuff in the content, and there are lots of them!

hollybloom24
06-07-2013, 07:10 PM
Rainbow Magic
Junie B Jones
A to Z Mysteries
Magic Tree House

anonomom
06-07-2013, 07:43 PM
The Emily Windsnap series
Mrs. Piggle Wiggle
Bunnicula and its sequels
Scooby Doo Mysteries
The Nevergirls
Whatever After series

94bruin
06-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Mine *loves* mysteries. Nothing really sparked her interest until I introduced her to Nancy Drew last summer. There is a younger version called Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew, and which is for younger readers.

erosenst
06-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Definitely check out the Rainbow Magic series. They're somewhat formulaic, so will give her confidence in her reading. Having said, that, my DD9 (a strong reader) still really enjoys them (for reasons that escape me).

Agree with Ivy and Bean. Have found Ramona to be hit or miss. A lot of people like Mercy Watson, but DD never really did.

Eleven Candles (and the two others in that series) were a big hit, but may still be a little tough.

georgiegirl
06-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Rainbow Magic are good for readers trying to build confidence. My DD was obsessed with them for a while, as was her best friend who reads at a 5th grade level (she's only 7).

giavila
06-07-2013, 10:11 PM
My DD1 is finishing up 3rd grade. Last summer she loved Ramona, Clementine, Little House on the Prairie, A to Z Mysteries

giavila
06-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Mine *loves* mysteries. Nothing really sparked her interest until I introduced her to Nancy Drew last summer. There is a younger version called Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew, and which is for younger readers.

:yeahthat:
Forgot to mention that Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew were a huge hit for her at that age too.

mom2beofboy/girltwins
06-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Narnia series (Lion, Witch, and wardrobe...)
Indian in the Cupboard books
Babysitters Club series
Choose Your Own Adventure books

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Neatfreak
06-08-2013, 12:05 AM
Not yet mentioned:

- Judy Moody series by Megan MacDonald
- The Sisters Club series, also by Megan MacDonald
- American Girl chapter books (various authors), and there is a newish series of books that are of the "choose your own adventure" tradition.

citymama
06-09-2013, 04:08 AM
Another mom with a girl of this age posted a similar question about 2 weeks ago. Rather than repost the list, I would recommend doing a search.