PDA

View Full Version : What is Downtown Disney?

KrisM
06-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Shops and restaurants? Any reason to make a point to go if my kids hate shopping?

SnuggleBuggles
06-09-2013, 10:39 PM
Shops and restaurants. :) The Lego store is pretty fun, especially because of the really great Lego sculptures all around (including a sea dragon in the water). It's a fine stop to make but I would watch the crowd level...some pros may know the right time to hit it. It got so packed that we could barely get around in the evening during spring break.

megs4413
06-09-2013, 11:10 PM
I wouldn't bother.

TwinFoxes
06-09-2013, 11:21 PM
It's better than a mall...there are performers and what not. And the Lego store is fun. There is a great splash pad to play in. And, well ya gotta eat, it might as well be there. But I wouldn't set aside time just to go there.

lalasmama
06-09-2013, 11:26 PM
Not sure what stores are at Downtown Disney at WDW, however, at Disneyland, DD loves it... She's only a willing shopper when she has money to spend, LOL.

She loves to see what exclusive Disney animals and clothing are available at Build A Bear Workshop (and typically will spend $20 here for something Disney-exclusive). The DL BABW is 2 stories and almost all windows, which is pretty cool. She loves to see the Lego sculptures (currently, Malificent is fighting with whatever Prince-to-Be is involved in that story [blanking on what story now], and Belle and the Beast, and I think maybe RC from Toy Story). We head that way to see what kind of interesting live music may be going on (at our last trip, there was a man playing some instrument we had never seen before, and can't remember the name of now). DD also loves to look in Studio 365, which is a Bibbity Boppity Boutique type place for the tween set (more punk looking, wild hair colors, wild make-up, etc).

Is it a must-see? No. But we enjoyed it overall.

bisous
06-09-2013, 11:47 PM
TBH, I'm not a fan of the Downtown Disney concept. And really, it is because I am cheap! I know that while I'm in a Disney park, if there is an attraction, it is free! I can do it without paying extra money. Anything you do at Downtown Disney you pay for and I can't get past that. I know that rationally, I'd pay LESS to do anything at Downtown Disney but my experience is colored by the fact that admission to the parks is free for me and my family, lol.

On the other hand, my kids do love the Lego store. Of course it is at Disney in CA although I imagine they have one in FL too!

KrisM
06-10-2013, 07:44 AM
It sounds like I don't need to plan on it. If we end up wanting a break from parks/resort, we can head over. I'm sure they'd like to look at some of it, but would probably be just fine skipping it completely!

twowhat?
06-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Mine loved browing in Downtown Disney (Disneyland). But they like to "shop". We did plan to spend 1 day out of the parks to hang out in the morning at DTD, and then in the afternoon back at the hotel pool. It turned out to be a perfect "break" from the parks (we had 4-day parkhopper tiks for Disneyland and California Adventure).

BayGirl2
06-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Shops and restaurants. :) The Lego store is pretty fun, especially because of the really great Lego sculptures all around (including a sea dragon in the water). It's a fine stop to make but I would watch the crowd level...some pros may know the right time to hit it. It got so packed that we could barely get around in the evening during spring break.

Besides the Lego store, the DTD in FL has Disney specific Mr. Potato Head parts. I didn't get to go this trip but sent DH there to get a box for us and a box for our daycare director. That alone seems worth stopping in for to me.

KrisM
06-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Besides the Lego store, the DTD in FL has Disney specific Mr. Potato Head parts. I didn't get to go this trip but sent DH there to get a box for us and a box for our daycare director. That alone seems worth stopping in for to me.

That sounds cute. We are past Mr. Potato Head though. If not, I could see going for that.