PDA

View Full Version : New small house, need your best organizing tips!!!!

crayonblue
06-10-2013, 04:28 PM
We are moving into a much smaller home in August. We are going from 2700 sq. ft and a three car garage (third spot used for storage) to a 1700 and small two car garage. I need your best organizing tips!

Couple of years ago we moved cross-country with all of our belongings in two 8x8 pods. We bought new furniture but haven't really added much "stuff". So, we have LOTS of room in our current home. I LOVE having space. I am anxious about going smaller and tripping over ourselves so I need this next place to be as organized as possible!

As far as the house itself, it has lots of cabinets and closets. It's in a small community built by a British builder so it is more European in style. Every square inch of that house is "useable" space.

But, how do I organize games, toys, paperwork, office stuff, clothes, odds and ends, etc. in a nice, neat, attractive way?

Thanks so much!!!!

boltfam
06-13-2013, 11:27 PM
I am not a naturally organized person but am really working on it. I have spent a lot of time watching organizational videos on you tube, so that would be my first tip. My second tip would be to use vertical space. Over the door hooks/hangers are some of my favorite products.

zukeypur
06-13-2013, 11:37 PM
Multipurpose bins from the container store.

Globetrotter
06-14-2013, 01:02 AM
I would get multifunctional furniture, like storage ottomans and storage benches. We keep games in storage ottomans from crate and barrel, and I am planning to get a gorgeous leather storage bench to replace our current shoe bench. They all double as seating.

Those Multipurpose bins are amazing!

Neatfreak
06-14-2013, 01:59 AM
We're moving from 5000+ sq/ft to 1500 sq/ft next week, and I've had a great time organizing and purging already! In our new (to us) house, I'm going to rely heavily on storage cupboards. I think it will be great to be able to hide everything behind doors, in bins, filing boxes for paper, and so on.

Melaine
06-14-2013, 06:57 AM
Purging is the first tip for sure! I am subbing for ideas. We are in a small space and I'm NOT naturally organized and I buy too much stuff so it's a constant process.

okinawama
06-14-2013, 10:40 AM
I second/third the purging. Fly lady (eye roll.... I know) says "you can't organize clutter", which is a motto of my house.

Once the purging is done, I've loved perusing boards on pinterest for organizational ideas. I haven't found any life changing ideas, or I'd post them, but there have been some interesting and creatives ideas on there that have helped me, especially with my kids rooms.

Globetrotter
06-14-2013, 11:34 AM
oh yes, I 100% agree that purging is the first step. My goal is to only have the stuff I actually use. I have entire cupboards that have been untouched for years! It's mind-boggling, really, and I'm slowly going through everything.

SASM
06-14-2013, 06:23 PM
Ohhh, Lana! Thank you for posting this!! We are in the exact same situation - SF comps and everything. We are renting for a year and then hopefully buying a larger home. We are using the garage as our storage unit and I am AFRAID for the furniture that will not fit into the house and are destined for the garage. Looking forward to responses! Good luck!!!

crayonblue
06-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Thanks guys! We are signing a lease today...ended up finding a slightly bigger home than the one we originally found. Still smaller than our current one but this one has a lot more storage space which will help a LOT!

I'm in purging the house mode which I actually truly enjoy. I hate clutter so this does my soul good. :)

I'm going to look into those multipurpose bins. We have an IKEA nearby so I'll check storage ideas there too. Honestly, the most disorganized aspect of our home is paperwork (I HATE paperwork. We have a file cabinet and I just HATE filing.) and the inevitably mash of toys, art supplies, games, etc.