PDA

View Full Version : Single stroller for City walking under $400

MoeJoe
06-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Can you give me some options to tell my sister who is expecting her first baby. She lives in NYC but travels sometimes by train/bus. These are her qualifications and she is looking at the B-Ready and Graco Modes.

1- large storage basket
2- walk well in city walking
3- reversible seat
4- not too bulky
5- can put a carseat in
6- up to $400

Thanks! She heard of the Babies R Us giveaway for the britax, so she is on pins and needles to make a decision. So, time is of essence!

Thanks!

Kaylee31
06-11-2013, 12:24 AM
The Baby Jogger City Versa would be a great choice over the B-ready. And I'm not a graco fan. The versa is $400 but you can find a 10% code, sometimes 15%. It's lighter and more compact than the B-ready. Easier fold, with the seat facing either direction. Pushes well on most terrain. Has optional bassinet, carseat adapter, snack tray, belly bar accessories.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

amom526
06-11-2013, 06:12 AM
I second the versa

kep
06-11-2013, 08:12 AM
I second the versa

Yes. I cannot imagine the B-Ready in NYC, and IMO it would be a nightmare on mass transit. It's very wide, heavy, and ackward.

We don't live in a super urban area, but we have an UppaBaby Cruz, which might work as well. Full features, great for newborns and toddlers, reversable, huge canopy, fantastic basket, and lightweight. The push is great, and it does take a car seat. There are probably some deals to be had now that it's been out for a while.

kaharris83
06-11-2013, 08:12 AM
Thirding the Versa.

edurnemk
06-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Another yes to the Versa. The B-Ready is massive for PT.

Tell her to run, not walk, away from the Gracos, the steering is AWFUL, for someone who walks a lot it gets old very quickly, and quality is so-so.

Kissmark
06-11-2013, 08:52 AM
When I visited NYC recently I actually saw a lot of City Select, along with Upababy Vista and BJCM.

MoeJoe
06-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Thanks! I actually had mentioned to her the Versa, but now that I spoke to her again she reminded me that the $400 was to include a car seat...:)
So, the Versa is a smidgin above her budget, especially if she needs to spend more money on the car seat adapter and other accessories...
But, it is a good option for her and I told her for her baby gift I'd give her some money towards it. She's thinking about it, but wants some more options.
Are there anymore out there?

crl
06-11-2013, 09:58 AM
How strongly does she feel about reversible? If that's not a must it would open up a lot more options. And how does she feel about used? Buying the stroller (not the car seat of course) off CL could save her enough to get so etching better within her budget.

Also, how does she feel about baby wearing when she is using public transit? That would make bigger strollers more viable.

Catherine

MoeJoe
06-11-2013, 10:40 AM
How strongly does she feel about reversible? If that's not a must it would open up a lot more options. And how does she feel about used? Buying the stroller (not the car seat of course) off CL could save her enough to get so etching better within her budget.

Also, how does she feel about baby wearing when she is using public transit? That would make bigger strollers more viable.

Catherine

I'll talk to her again, but answering your questions:
1- She really wants reversible...
2- She is really against buying used because of the problem with bedbugs being so big in NY... <shrug>
3- She wants to baby wear (I'm making her a mai tei), but I doubt she wants to depend on it for long term, especially if she doesn't know if she'll enjoy it. Plus, for long distances I'm sure she'll want a place to put the baby down if needed.

But, thank you for the suggestions and I'll talk it over with her again :)

legaleagle
06-11-2013, 11:23 AM
What kind of car seat does she want? I assume she intends to use the stroller seat most of the time, rather than snap & go the car seat? Is the seat mostly for taxis and how much will it actually be used?

ebp913
06-11-2013, 11:47 AM
What kind of car seat does she want? I assume she intends to use the stroller seat most of the time, rather than snap & go the car seat? Is the seat mostly for taxis and how much will it actually be used?

Piggy backing off this... it seems like she should get a nice quality stroller and get a simple and cheap car seat since she probably won't use it much. nobetterdeal.com has lots of car seat options for cheap cheap. There's a Graco Snugride there for $42 right now. I think she could get the Versa and a car seat for barely over $400. If she puts the Versa on her registry and buys it with the completion coupon and then find a cheap seat, she would be set.

hihellonikki
06-11-2013, 12:02 PM
I like ebp's suggestion. A Graco Snugride is a very decent infant carseat. Heck, I'd buy one for $42.

HipMama
06-11-2013, 12:23 PM
What about the Combi Catalyst? http://www.amazon.com/Combi-301132-Catalyst-Stroller-Red/dp/B00A6622FO $290 on amazon. Reversible, big basket, takes a Carseat. StrollerQueen did a review on it recently.

ebp913
06-11-2013, 12:25 PM
What about the Combi Catalyst? http://www.amazon.com/Combi-301132-Catalyst-Stroller-Red/dp/B00A6622FO $290 on amazon. Reversible, big basket, takes a Carseat. StrollerQueen did a review on it recently.

And there's one on NBD for $190. Sorry for all the NBD plugs but I have been refreshing that page all morning!

moll73
06-11-2013, 02:04 PM
And there's one on NBD for $190. Sorry for all the NBD plugs but I have been refreshing that page all morning!

I just got an email that NBD is having a 15% off baby and kids sale until June 15th. The code is KBJUNE. I also say the Versa or she could take a look at the Valco Spark (seat turns into a bassinet) or Snap/Snap 4 (light weight). Unless she plans to use the car seat in the stroller frequently, she may be able to do without the car seat adaptor. My Graco Snugride fits perfectly in the Versa when it is reclined and she could get some sort of strap to fasten it in as an extra safety precaution.

ebp913
06-11-2013, 02:15 PM
I just got an email that NBD is having a 15% off baby and kids sale until June 15th. The code is KBJUNE. I also say the Versa or she could take a look at the Valco Spark (seat turns into a bassinet) or Snap/Snap 4 (light weight). Unless she plans to use the car seat in the stroller frequently, she may be able to do without the car seat adaptor. My Graco Snugride fits perfectly in the Versa when it is reclined and she could get some sort of strap to fasten it in as an extra safety precaution.

That's exactly what I am doing with my B-Ready. That Britax strap and the Cybex adapters are both great for that.

edurnemk
06-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Albee Baby has 20% off coupons every holiday (next is 4th of July, I believe). I got my Bee for $425 (retail price $649) by looking around and waiting for a deal, so she can definitely get the Versa + car seat for $400 if she waits for a deal.

There's the Valco Spark, as well.

hollissmama
06-12-2013, 01:43 PM
I fourth or is it fifth? The BJ versa. It's perfect for almost everywhere. Push is fantastic and I still mostly use it in reverse still at 3.5. Reversible is a great feature IMO.

ebp913
06-12-2013, 03:21 PM
I fourth or is it fifth? The BJ versa. It's perfect for almost everywhere. Push is fantastic and I still mostly use it in reverse still at 3.5. Reversible is a great feature IMO.

I want one! But a Bee- is more in my budget at the moment.