PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk stretch mark prevention?

Zukini
06-11-2013, 12:07 AM
For all mamas and mamas to be, what did you use specifically for stretch mark prevention during pregnancy? Were you pleased with the results?

I use Cetaphil lotion (& cream in the winter) for regular daily body moisturizing and had purchased a tube of Mustela Ultimate Hydration for those specific growing areas - abdomen, boobs, thighs and butt. I'm sort of "meh" on it for the scent (a little cloying) and also for extended hydration - its not too greasy, absorbs well but I feel like a few hours later I may have well used the Cetaphil because my skin feels dry.

So I'm in the market for something else - and instead of going on a buying spree I'd like to narrow it down to a few tried and trues. And who better to ask than the BBB? So please share, which would you recccomend... Or not? Thanks!

♥ms.pacman♥
06-11-2013, 12:17 AM
i think i used some sort of Palmer's stretch mark cream i bought at BRU. i didn't get any stretch marks despite 2 back-to-back pregnancies, but i don't think it was bc of the cream. TBH i think it was mainly genetics and having small babies (both of mine were under 7 lbs)..oh and having morning sickness so badly i only gained 20-30 lbs with each pg.

i liked having the cream on hand, though, just for moisturizing/soothing...i had some serious belly itching for like a month when i was 7mo pregnant with DS...i almost thought i had PUPPP or something.

georgiegirl
06-11-2013, 12:33 AM
I think it's genetic. I didn't get any with my first two pregnancies (and neither did my mom). I'm hoping this pregnancy also doesn't leave me with stretch marks,

lovebebes
06-11-2013, 12:38 AM
Body oils are great for ultimate hydration, there are many good ones such as jojoba for example (go with organic if you can)

http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Jojoba-Pure-ounce/dp/B0009NBCXC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370925354&sr=8-1&keywords=jojoba+oil

http://www.amazon.com/Jojoba-Golden-Organic-100-Pure/dp/B005FFVATK/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_6

As far as truly preventing the stretch marks-I honestly feel like its a luck of the draw kind of thing-you either get them or not-although I am still 100% pro moisturizing!

ps although i am not totally sure on this but Mustela probably has a bunch of chemical junk in it that you probably are better off not putting onto your skin during pregnancy :) I recommend you check out this site for products that you are using or thinking of using:

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

megs4413
06-11-2013, 12:44 AM
My sons plastic surgeon says the creams are useless...what really helps is massaging the areas to increase blood flow and healing. So it's the act of rubbing in the cream that actually helps people. So, yeah, any quality lotion should do, just rub it in well a few times a day and that's about all you can do aside from gaining slowly, staying hydrated, and following a healthy diet. Really it has to do with your genetics and the quality of your connective tissues.

lchang25000
06-11-2013, 07:30 AM
My sons plastic surgeon says the creams are useless...what really helps is massaging the areas to increase blood flow and healing. So it's the act of rubbing in the cream that actually helps people. So, yeah, any quality lotion should do, just rub it in well a few times a day and that's about all you can do aside from gaining slowly, staying hydrated, and following a healthy diet. Really it has to do with your genetics and the quality of your connective tissues.

:yeahthat:

jennilynn
06-11-2013, 11:18 AM
I like to use an oil, either Burt's Bees Mama oil or Earth Mama Angel Baby. Seems to work, I have no stretch marks yet and I'm on baby #3! I slather it on after the shower and that's it.

bostonsmama
06-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Yeah, total genetics. I didn't get a single stretch mark with my first pregnancy to go to term. I only gained 27lbs, though, and I have a ridiculously tall torso. Even at 7 months pregnant, I only looked about 3-4 months along. I didn't really massage a drop of lotion onto myself. Someone gave me a Palmer's for pregnancy lotion but it was horribly sticky & awful (and had parabens).

Just so you know, I used to be very overweight--and I have stretch marks from being overweight, so it's not impossible to get them if you gain a lot quickly. But I lost over 70lbs five years before I eventually conceived DD, and so I started at a very favorable weight.

With this pg, my breasts have been growing like gangbusters. I'm normally a 32C (pretty itty bitty), and now I'm a 32F. Yesterday I was scratching so hard under my breast that I drew blood. I had DH rub lotion into them (LOL--he was totally game), and today they're still itching. I'm pretty sure I saw a pink line under the right one, so the damage is likely done. I breastfed for over 2 years, though, and I only weaned this past January, so I think my breasts are gearing up for some super milk this fall!

okinawama
06-11-2013, 03:46 PM
I also think it boils down to genetics rather than weight gain or creams used. I gained 40lbs with DS1, and didn't get any stretch marks. Ds2, I gained 24lbs and used earth baby stretch mark cream and got deep purple ones on my stomach and sides.

edurnemk
06-11-2013, 03:54 PM
I agree it's genetics. My mom didn't get them and neither did I. With my first PG I was diligent about smothering the greasiest lotion I could find and also almond oil every.single.night. With DD I rarely did and got no stretch marks. I didn't gain much weight with either (about 20 pounds tops each time)

My OB told me to save my money because it's been proven special stretch mark lotions don't work, and that I should just use a greasy lotion, but that ultimately it came down to genetics, so if my mom didn't get them I probably wouldn't either.

abh5e8
06-11-2013, 04:26 PM
yeah...its genetics. but drinking lots of water, avoiding caffeine and regular exercise with do wonders for the health of your connective tissue, and that is what really counts with stretch marks (and tears during the birth!). i've had 4 babies, up to 8lb 4oz (and i'm small, only 5"2) and never any stretch marks. i don't really use any lotion. but i would use coconut oil/massage when i would get that itchy skin feeling during 2nd/3rd tri.

jennilynn
06-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Both my mom and sister got stretch marks but I haven't, so it can't be all genetics unless I take after my dad's family. I do drink a ton of water especially while pregnant

Zukini
06-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm secretly glad I don't need to go looking for some super expensive miracle rub :) Will just keep on moisturizing as usual and stay hydrated and yoga'd up for this pregnancy.

KrisT3243
06-14-2013, 10:23 AM
In my opinion palmers is the best for stretch mark prevention. My stretch marks aren't nearly as bad as some of my friends. I really enjoy the scent of the lotion as well.

waitingforgrace
06-14-2013, 10:35 AM
All of the advice is good and it never hurts to do those things but you just never know. I got horrible stretch marks with DD1 and none with DD2. I carried the pregnancies very differently. Both were big babies, >9 lbs and I only gained 30lbs with each.