PDA

View Full Version : test results show gestational diabetes

Nemesia
06-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Ugh... OB's office just called and said the 3 hour came back showing GD. She said it is more common for AMA... I'm 39. I'm not upset about the diet and checking my sugar levels 4 times a day, but I am upset that it will affect my sweet baby girl and she'll have to have her blood sugars checked. My sister had GD and said the nurses pricked her baby boy's heel every time before breastfeeding the first few days, which didn't help the breastfeeding process.

Any BTDT advice?

mommylamb
06-11-2013, 02:38 PM
I had GD when I was pregnant with DS2. They tested his blood sugar right after he was born, but never again.

It sucks. It really does. But it's totally doable. You can do this. I was very freaked out. Beth24 here on BBB, who also had GD, was a huge support to me. It felt good to know other people who had gone through it and what their strategies were.

The good news for me was that I kept to the diet had a perfectly normal pregnancy, and I only gained 14 lbs, which meant that *I* actually lost weight while pregnant. I was wearing my jeans within days of giving birth. I know I would gained a lot more weight if I hadn't had to stick to the diet. And DS2 was totally fine. In fact, he was actually tiny when he was born! They induced me on my due date (wouldn't let me go past because of the GD), so DS2 was to term exactly-- and he was only 5lbs, 11oz. Totally healthy. And my induced labor was all of 2 hours from the moment of getting the first contraction to holding a baby in my arms.

It is scary, but you can do this. I was AMA with DS2 too, and I do think that contributed to it, since I didn't have it with DS1.

ETA: They did have to put me on oral medication at night to control my fasting level because it was too high without the meds, and there is nothing you can do with diet to influence it. The meds worked like a charm.

nrp
06-11-2013, 02:39 PM
:grouphug: I had GD with my second pregnancy (but not my first or third). I controlled it with diet and exercise without any meds or insulin, and as I recall, DS had one stick soon after birth to check his blood sugar and then nothing after that. I'd ask your OB or ped what to expect, because maybe your DD won't have to have multiple BS tests like your nephew.

ETA: I had to have a CS at 38.5 weeks with DS for a totally unrelated reason (previa), and he was 6lbs, 13oz, also perfectly healthy. Your doc/midwife will monitor you throughout, and there is absolutely every reason to expect your DD will have no issues related to the GD whatsoever.