PDA

View Full Version : Nursing bra without any metal?

oneontheway
06-11-2013, 02:42 PM
I am being induced on Friday and want to wear a bra since it feels so much more comfortable but I know the hospital rule is that they don't want any metal. Anyone know of a nursing bra that doesn't have metal?

The ones I recently got at Target have a metal clasp. Sports bra is out because I want to be able to nurse easily and might be hooked up to ivs making changing it difficult.

TIA!!!

BabbyO
06-11-2013, 02:54 PM
The Gillian O'Malley nursing tanks don't have any metal (available at target). I loved the GOM bras, too, but I suspect that they have a metal clasp.

That wouldn't make it any easier for changing with IV's....

I think I've seen nursing type sports bras that might work....again, won't be able to change.

I've never seen any bra that didn't have metal hook & eye type closures, though.

Beckylove
06-11-2013, 02:58 PM
The Bravado original nursing bra is metal free. It pulls on overhead. Hard to change but metal free and easy to breastfeeding in.

BDKmom
06-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Trying to picture something to suggest, but, honestly, I can't picture how you would get any bra off if you have an IV. How would you get it off your arm?

How long are you going to be hooked to an IV? If just a day or two, I wouldn't worry about changing the bra, and in that case I can recommend a nursing bra for sleeping that I got at target last year. Looks like a sports bra, comes in a set of two, but the front fabric is criss-crossed, so you can pull it down to access the girls. I think it was Gillian O'Malley brand. I think they came s,m,l, and I would recommend sizing up.

edurnemk
06-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Trying to picture something to suggest, but, honestly, I can't picture how you would get any bra off if you have an IV. How would you get it off your arm?

How long are you going to be hooked to an IV? If just a day or two, I wouldn't worry about changing the bra, and in that case I can recommend a nursing bra for sleeping that I got at target last year. Looks like a sports bra, comes in a set of two, but the front fabric is criss-crossed, so you can pull it down to access the girls. I think it was Gillian O'Malley brand. I think they came s,m,l, and I would recommend sizing up.

I got a Medela that's just like the one pp describes (at BRU), I use them for sleeping. But for the first few days I wanted more support and used a Medela bra that looks like a sports bra, really comfy and no metal.

oneontheway
06-11-2013, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the recs so far!! I like the idea of Target since I would pick one up easily. And it wouldn't be the end of the world if it got ruined.

As long as it is a nursing bra I won't need to remove it. I was just thinking that a typical sports bra doesn't have metal but would be hard to nurse in. I didn't realize there were several other options.

Thanks!!

bostonsmama
06-12-2013, 08:34 AM
I had a sleep bra in the hospital for nursing, although I delivered completely naked. I did not want a THING touching me. I read somewhere recently that the contracting part of the uterus (top part) bunches up toward your breasts, and that a good sign of dilation is that your navel is almost up in your grill.

I think I got the sleep bra at Target. You're going to be so engorged as your milk prepares to come in that you don't want a bra in your size, per se. The sleep bras were S, M, L, XL...and there were just enough support to make me feel covered and to hold in my nursing pads. My doula/Lactation consultant wanted me to air dry my nipples a lot--but it's hard when visitors just walk in and nurses are constantly in/out checking your vitals, even if you have a private room. I wore a knee-length nursing dress pretty much right after birth. It was so comfy. They could raise it to do those pushing on your uterus to bust up clots thing.

As far as IVs go, you shouldn't need to change your bra while IN labor, but afterwards, all you have to do is have them detach the IV and leave the heplock in (they would do this for a shower, etc). They can flush it with saline before they reconnect any fluids bag or medication--although I can't imagine what post-partum. I found it most irritating that they didn't want to remove the IV until the hour before discharge. YMMV.

tabegle
06-12-2013, 08:52 AM
My walmart nursing tanks had plastic closures.

YouAreTheFocus
06-12-2013, 12:27 PM
I am curious, why no metal? I have never heard this mentioned before!

klwa
06-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the recs so far!! I like the idea of Target since I would pick one up easily. And it wouldn't be the end of the world if it got ruined.

As long as it is a nursing bra I won't need to remove it. I was just thinking that a typical sports bra doesn't have metal but would be hard to nurse in. I didn't realize there were several other options.

Thanks!!

Oh, good. Run by Target & get the nursing sleep bras. They work pretty good & are comfy. (Not the best support, but enough.)