PDA

View Full Version : Stir fry?

bigsis
06-11-2013, 04:31 PM
What kind of veggies do you put in your stir fry? I tried to put green beans in last night and it was not quite cooked all the way. Is there a trick to cook those faster?

Any stir fry recipes would be greatly appreciated as well as it's a great way to get more veggies into the kids' bodies :) TIA!

boolady
06-11-2013, 04:35 PM
When I use green beans in a stir fry, I blanch them first-- drop them into boiling water for about 5 minutes, take out, run under cold water to stop the cooking process, then throw into stir fry with a few minutes left. Other veggies we like in stir fry, but from fresh will definitely stay more crisp, are bell pepper, broccoli (cut small), carrot coins, squash or zucchini, baby bok choy or shredded Napa cabbage, etc.

elbenn
06-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Other veggies we like in stir fry, but from fresh will definitely stay more crisp, are bell pepper, broccoli (cut small), carrot coins, squash or zucchini, baby bok choy or shredded Napa cabbage, etc.

Also snow peas and sugar snap peas.

rin
06-11-2013, 05:06 PM
We usually add mixtures from the following:

onions
mushrooms
broccoli
green beans
cabbage
carrots
red peppers

Sometimes I'll toss in bean sprouts at the very end.

I like to throw a clove or two of garlic and a few pieces of fresh ginger in the oil first, saute it for a few minutes, then take them out (otherwise they'll burn). That makes the oil taste like garlic/ginger & gives the flavor to all the other veggies.

KonzaPrairie
06-13-2013, 07:12 AM
I'm kind of lazy and stir-fry is one of our quick week night meals... this means that I use bags of frozen 'stir-fry' veggies. So quick and easy when I don't have to chop/prep or keep fresh ingredients on hand! My favs are mixes that include broccoli, water chestnuts, carrots, and sugar snap peas.

wendibird22
06-13-2013, 08:29 AM
I'm kind of lazy and stir-fry is one of our quick week night meals... this means that I use bags of frozen 'stir-fry' veggies. So quick and easy when I don't have to chop/prep or keep fresh ingredients on hand! My favs are mixes that include broccoli, water chestnuts, carrots, and sugar snap peas.

:yeahthat:

Beth24
06-13-2013, 11:27 PM
I stir fry chicken then take it out and stir fry zucchini and mushrooms...I also blanch the green beans or broccoli first if I'm going to use them.