PDA

View Full Version : Ack first pooplosion in cloth tell me about dreaded swish or spray

ExcitedMamma
06-11-2013, 04:46 PM
DD just had her first massive pooplosion in cloth. Ick! Why couldn't it have been when DH was here! We've been very fortunate in never having to deal with poop in her diaper. I always take her to go potty before and after waking and before and after meals so she's always pooped on the potty. Unfortunately it looks like her bowel movements seem to be in transition so she's now going poop 0-3 times a day so I'm guessing I might miss some more. Is it time to get a sprayer? The idea of a sprayer that my DS could get a hold of is a big fear! I dropped the dirty dipe in the toilet and flushed a couple of times while I was cleaning up. Would a sprayer really do much more? Her poop is the consistency of mud now so not really something I can wipe off the dipe.

lizzywednesday
06-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Get rubber gloves & stick with the dunk-and-swish.

Alternately, you can try using "flushable" liners - I have flushable in quotes because it will all depend on how old your plumbing is or if you have septic vs. sewer - to cut down on the amount of poo that ends up in the diaper.

The sprayer removes the need to dunk & swish.

edurnemk
06-11-2013, 08:04 PM
yeah, I'd get some flushable liners for that transition phase if you don't want the sprayer. Is there a way to keep the bathroom door closed so your DS can't get a hold of the sprayer.

♥ms.pacman♥
06-11-2013, 10:21 PM
i used liners and a sprayer (mini-shower). Both worth their weight in GOLD. I used only liners for a while, but then when dd got a little older (9mo?) i had both kiddos eating solids, i got a sprayer. SO useful. my kids have NEVER gotten into it to play with it or anything..it's so not an issue.

and am i reading something wrong?? your dd is 9 mos (??) old and you have never had to deal with poop in a diaper (??). what about when you're out for the day?

i cannot imagine cloth diapering full-time and not using either liners or a sprayer. so my answer would be YES, a sprayer does a TON more to get the poop off easily. it is also useful for when they have poopy accidents in their underwear, so you can spray off the poop before throwing it in the washer. and when the kids got sick, i've also used it to blast off puke bits off clothing/blankets or whatever before throwing it in the washer. it is the most useful thing ever, imo.

hellokitty
06-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Spray! I used that thing for 9 yrs and never had any issues with it and then gave it to a friend who is now using it with the fuzzibunz I sold her. It's good for barf too and spraying out trash cans or anything gross that you might normally have to take outside to hose down or something that you want to hose down and just dump into the toilet.

I do have a friend who swears by the liners, and she washes them and reuses them a few times before throwing them away. I never tried them. My kids didn't poop in neat rectangular shapes.

mikala
06-11-2013, 11:15 PM
I never used a diaper sprayer and never missed it. For muddy poops I just pulled off what I could easily with toilet paper and threw it in the diaper bin. We occasionally got stains from things like blueberries but they don't bother anything and usually bleached out in the sun.

kaharris83
06-12-2013, 08:02 AM
I never used a diaper sprayer and never missed it. For muddy poops I just pulled off what I could easily with toilet paper and threw it in the diaper bin. We occasionally got stains from things like blueberries but they don't bother anything and usually bleached out in the sun.

:yeahthat: DS1 just potty trained a few weeks ago DS2s been on solids for a few weeks. We haven't used a diaper sprayer at all

lizzywednesday
06-12-2013, 08:12 AM
... My kids didn't poop in neat rectangular shapes.

Neither did my DD, but the liners were absolutely awesome for us - they actually helped save a few diapers from a couple nasty poop issues after DH lost his job when she was 10 mos old & he had trouble figuring out how to manage his germ-phobia with cloth diapers.

hellokitty
06-12-2013, 08:14 AM
Neither did my DD, but the liners were absolutely awesome for us - they actually helped save a few diapers from a couple nasty poop issues after DH lost his job when she was 10 mos old & he had trouble figuring out how to manage his germ-phobia with cloth diapers.

Didn't you still have issues with poo stuck in the gussest crevices? That was my hesitation with the liners. The spray was the only thing to get that stuff off.

Katigre
06-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Didn't you still have issues with poo stuck in the gussest crevices? That was my hesitation with the liners. The spray was the only thing to get that stuff off.

That came out in the washer for us. I'm in child 3 I'm cloth and have never used a sprayer. I scrape what I can.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype

tg_canada
06-12-2013, 10:17 AM
If you have a laundry sink, I'd put a sprayer on that instead of the toilet. You can then spray with warmer water than ice cold toilet water which is especially nice when squeezing the water out after rinsing. My diaper pail is also right there since it's beside my washing machine so no carrying a dripping diaper to the pail (not enough floor space in my bathroom for pail there). And I've got hand soap right at the sink to wash up after.

I typically keep a spray cleaner under the sink too to give the sink a quick wipe if necessary afterwards.

jam224
06-13-2013, 01:36 AM

DD has been in cloth diapers since she was 12 weeks old and we've never had a diaper sprayer (she's now 2). We've managed without just fine. When we started solids, I began using flushable liners and those did the trick. A tip that I learned along the way: the poo is a magnet for other poo. Meaning, if I can get the majority of it rolled up into a ball, I can roll the poo into the gussets to get the tiny bits (or sometimes I use toilet paper to pick up the poo and dab it where I need it). Then I just plop the whole thing into the toilet and my diaper is relatively clean! Sorry if that sounds gross, but maybe it will help!

FWIW, my baby didn't have a solid poop in her diaper for the longest time too. She was like clockwork at that point and always had a BM right after breakfast, so that's when I would put her on the potty. Ah, those were the good ol' days! :tongue5:

lizzywednesday
06-13-2013, 01:23 PM

Nope. If anything was left, it was a dunk-and-swish for me. I considered a sprayer, but just didn't have the patience.

We used a combo of Snappi'd prefolds with wool covers and AIO's, but I could see that being an issue if you tri-folded.

hellokitty
06-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Nope. If anything was left, it was a dunk-and-swish for me. I considered a sprayer, but just didn't have the patience.

We used a combo of Snappi'd prefolds with wool covers and AIO's, but I could see that being an issue if you tri-folded.

I could never get the hang of the dunk and swish without getting my hands dirty. Oh well, whatever works. It seems like there are two parties. Those who like the sprayer and those who like the liners and probably whichever one you started out with is the one you stuck to.

edurnemk
06-13-2013, 07:50 PM
I could never get the hang of the dunk and swish without getting my hands dirty. Oh well, whatever works. It seems like there are two parties. Those who like the sprayer and those who like the liners and probably whichever one you started out with is the one you stuck to.

I use the sprayer at home, but use liners when we go out. DD tends to be constipated so her BM's are pretty well formed, They just fall right off the diaper, no spraying or dunking needed. But DS was a VERY different story.

Melaine
06-13-2013, 07:55 PM
and am i reading something wrong?? your dd is 9 mos (??) old and you have never had to deal with poop in a diaper (??). what about when you're out for the day?

i cannot imagine cloth diapering full-time and not using either liners or a sprayer. so my answer would be YES, a sprayer does a TON more to get the poop off easily. it is also useful for when they have poopy accidents in their underwear, so you can spray off the poop before throwing it in the washer. and when the kids got sick, i've also used it to blast off puke bits off clothing/blankets or whatever before throwing it in the washer. it is the most useful thing ever, imo.

i'm also completely baffled by the OP. Is this an EC thing???

boltfam
06-13-2013, 09:46 PM
I cd'd DD1 with no sprayer, and it was awful. Part of it might be that her poop was not well-formed at all? DD2 does have well-formed poop but I do have a sprayer and am so thankful.

I can't use liners b/c we have septic.

AustenFan
06-15-2013, 11:50 PM
In 6.5 years of CDing, I've never used a sprayer. All of my kids have really loose stools all the time, and we've had great success with Imse Vimse diaper liners (https://www.nickisdiapers.com/imse-vimse-disposable-diaper-liners.html).

Somebody mentioned blueberries...we went blueberry picking yesterday, so I dealt with blue diapers today. The liners caught most of it, but of course there was some in the gussets, etc. I used toilet paper to get any big glops off, but the rest just went in the diaper pail. I've never had anything left in my washing machine after a load of diapers. That diaper will be stained, but I'll put it out in the sun to bleach as it dries.