PDA

View Full Version : Disney in Oct or early Nov

DualvansMommy
06-13-2013, 12:05 AM
DH & i were tallking about how we'd like to do a trip to WDW with our 2 year old DS along with my mum (granny) and DH's parents later this fall.

Is it too late to plan? one biggest factor that is prompting us to plan for a disney trip sooner than later is my in-laws advanced ages. It's DH's wish to have them join in & share the joy of experiencing disney through our DS's eyes.

initially we were thinking until he's 3-3.5 but by then, my mother in law will be 86 which is bit too much for her. She's 84 who is in excellent health (although don't think she can be up to for long walks all.day.long) also for my mom to join us too, although she's 70 but had 3 heart attacks, so i don't really expect her to live as long well into 80's.

hence this year or early next spring is our best shot...and i'm pregnant with a due date of 1/14 so spring trip to WDW might be a challenge with a 3 month old DC?? DS will be closer to 3 if we go next March vs this November.

we're looking into either a 5 night/6 day at the poly or grand floridian as we'll still have a napper and particularly more so with an infant if we go next year.

which resort would you recommend? and is a dining meal plan recommended too? we're not going to be making ADR as wanted to be flexible in case DS is tired, becomes fussy or whatnot. QS will be more likely our main mode of meals and maybe one character meal?? mickey mouse or goofy? as hes into both but hadn't met any real characters in person at all yet. So, maybe gets scared by them??

ideally i prefer to go next March as it leaves us more time to save/plan, since we have two vacations planned this year already. But im really concerned with the idea of travelling with an infant that i don't know will handle napping in stroller well? etc? would you go this November with just one child while being 7 months pregnant....feasible?

As far the parks go, we've decided we'll be just focusing on MK & AK, maybe epcot but i told DH that i feel like DS is just too young to enjoy that park? i feel like he'll really enjoy lots of downtime in the pool and all that since he naps from 1-3 daily.

sorry if im rambling and not making sense, but trying to organize my thoughts....so any tips would be greatly appreciated with BTDT

megs4413
06-13-2013, 12:58 AM
In terms of timing:
-only you know what will work best for you. personally, I think crowds are easier to deal with in nov than march, but if you're planning to do limited touring at a relaxed pace that probably doesn't matter much for you. Just from what you wrote, I'd be tempted to recommend March. I also think you're more likely to find better prices in Nov. so that's something to consider.

In terms of dining plan:
-it probably won't be worth it for your family. if they happen to offer free dining during your trip, that would be a bonus. if not, i wouldn't worry about it. sometimes the room discount ends up being better than a free dining promo, so that's something you'd have to examine closely.
-if you want to do a character meal, I highly recommend doing it day 1 for breakfast on your first full day. Lots of places have Mickey and Goofy in their lineup. We love Chef Mickey's for breakfast with characters and also loved Tusker House for character breakfast. An added bonus with Tusker House was getting to enter the park early before opening because of our early reservation. Make sure you make an ADR for your character meal, though, or you won't be able to get one.

Mobility for your mother-in-law:
-you can get an ECV from Disney or from a number of reputable and inexpensive rental places in the Orlando area. I would recommend doing that because disney is just a serious ton of walking.

Resort options:
-Personally, I prefer the Poly to the GF if you're planning on spending a lot of time in-resort. I'm not a huge GF fan, admittedly if you go in nov, though, the christmas decor at the GF is just amazing. it's beautiful everywhere, but particularly the GF. With a party your size, a DVC rental at Bay Lake Tower might be an even better option to consider and then I *think* you get poolhopping privileges (someone correct me if I'm wrong, i'm not an owner.)

Theme park advice:
-When i took my 3yo, DHS was his favorite by a MILE. Honestly, AK isn't much beyond the safari ride for little ones, IMO, YMMV....
-MK is definitely a two day park at minimum. it's huge and there's just so much to do.

egoldber
06-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Early November is a wonderful time to go. Warm, but not hot, and very low crowds. I would absolutely do that vs. going with an infant.

I think there is something for all ages at every park.

My kids adore Epcot. There is Turtle Talk with Crush, the Nemo ride, the boat ride in the Lands Pavilion, the Mexico boat ride, etc. It's also just a very pleasant park to walk around in. There are also many character interaction opportunities.

At AK there are many shows that my kids love. The Lion King, the Nemo show, Flights of Wonder, and my kids love the parade there. I think it is my favorite parade. There are not many rides other than safari for younger kids, but there are the animal attractions and the train ride to the petting zoo. Lots of good character interactions as well IMO.

I think that in general, you need 2 days for MK, 2 days for Epcot, 1 for AK and 1-1.5 for DHS depending on how much your kids like it and how you time the shows.

123LuckyMom
06-13-2013, 09:35 AM
I agree that you should get an ECV for your mom. Disney is miles of walking every day. It's MUCH easier with a scooter, and since you'll have a stroller anyway, the extra wheels won't hold you up. The stroller and ECV parking are usually in the same place. I would rent from an outside company so you have guaranteed access and use of the scooter outside of the parks.

I would stay at the Poly in Tahiti house. It is very close to the TTC (transportation and ticketing center), so no matter what park you go to, it will be just one loading and unloading. You won't have to travel to the TTC and switch.

I would plan to have 5 or 6 days in the parks. 2 days for MK, 2 days for EPCOT, and a day each for DHS and AK. Don't skip any park. I promise you there are really fun things for a two year old in every park. I just went with an 11 month old and a 4 year old, and both of them loved every park, though DHS finished last--so every family is different. You just can't know what will be magic for you until you experience it.

I would go in November over March for lower crowds. If you do go in March, go the very first week. After that the spring break prices and crowds kick in. I believe November will be less expensive than even early March. if you go the week after Thanksgiving, the park will be decorated for Christmas, which is magical! If you go in late October, there are Halloween activities. We've never gone then.

We didn't do a dining plan or a character meal. We wanted flexibility, and I wasn't sure how the kids would react to the characters. As it happened, the characters were a huge hit from afar, but not up close, so we made the right decision.

Do not miss the evening stuff at MK. I promise you your DS will be entranced by the electrical parade!

westwoodmom04
06-13-2013, 03:54 PM
If you go in November, avoid New Jersey Teacher Conference weekend and Veteran's Day, they often fall the same time, but not always.

DualvansMommy
06-13-2013, 08:26 PM
In terms of timing:
-only you know what will work best for you. personally, I think crowds are easier to deal with in nov than march, but if you're planning to do limited touring at a relaxed pace that probably doesn't matter much for you. Just from what you wrote, I'd be tempted to recommend March. I also think you're more likely to find better prices in Nov. so that's something to consider.

In terms of dining plan:
-it probably won't be worth it for your family. if they happen to offer free dining during your trip, that would be a bonus. if not, i wouldn't worry about it. sometimes the room discount ends up being better than a free dining promo, so that's something you'd have to examine closely.
-if you want to do a character meal, I highly recommend doing it day 1 for breakfast on your first full day. Lots of places have Mickey and Goofy in their lineup. We love Chef Mickey's for breakfast with characters and also loved Tusker House for character breakfast. An added bonus with Tusker House was getting to enter the park early before opening because of our early reservation. Make sure you make an ADR for your character meal, though, or you won't be able to get one.

Mobility for your mother-in-law:
-you can get an ECV from Disney or from a number of reputable and inexpensive rental places in the Orlando area. I would recommend doing that because disney is just a serious ton of walking.

Resort options:
-Personally, I prefer the Poly to the GF if you're planning on spending a lot of time in-resort. I'm not a huge GF fan, admittedly if you go in nov, though, the christmas decor at the GF is just amazing. it's beautiful everywhere, but particularly the GF. With a party your size, a DVC rental at Bay Lake Tower might be an even better option to consider and then I *think* you get poolhopping privileges (someone correct me if I'm wrong, i'm not an owner.)

Theme park advice:
-When i took my 3yo, DHS was his favorite by a MILE. Honestly, AK isn't much beyond the safari ride for little ones, IMO, YMMV....
-MK is definitely a two day park at minimum. it's huge and there's just so much to do.

Early November is a wonderful time to go. Warm, but not hot, and very low crowds. I would absolutely do that vs. going with an infant.

I think there is something for all ages at every park.

My kids adore Epcot. There is Turtle Talk with Crush, the Nemo ride, the boat ride in the Lands Pavilion, the Mexico boat ride, etc. It's also just a very pleasant park to walk around in. There are also many character interaction opportunities.

At AK there are many shows that my kids love. The Lion King, the Nemo show, Flights of Wonder, and my kids love the parade there. I think it is my favorite parade. There are not many rides other than safari for younger kids, but there are the animal attractions and the train ride to the petting zoo. Lots of good character interactions as well IMO.

I think that in general, you need 2 days for MK, 2 days for Epcot, 1 for AK and 1-1.5 for DHS depending on how much your kids like it and how you time the shows.

I agree that you should get an ECV for your mom. Disney is miles of walking every day. It's MUCH easier with a scooter, and since you'll have a stroller anyway, the extra wheels won't hold you up. The stroller and ECV parking are usually in the same place. I would rent from an outside company so you have guaranteed access and use of the scooter outside of the parks.

I would stay at the Poly in Tahiti house. It is very close to the TTC (transportation and ticketing center), so no matter what park you go to, it will be just one loading and unloading. You won't have to travel to the TTC and switch.

I would plan to have 5 or 6 days in the parks. 2 days for MK, 2 days for EPCOT, and a day each for DHS and AK. Don't skip any park. I promise you there are really fun things for a two year old in every park. I just went with an 11 month old and a 4 year old, and both of them loved every park, though DHS finished last--so every family is different. You just can't know what will be magic for you until you experience it.

I would go in November over March for lower crowds. If you do go in March, go the very first week. After that the spring break prices and crowds kick in. I believe November will be less expensive than even early March. if you go the week after Thanksgiving, the park will be decorated for Christmas, which is magical! If you go in late October, there are Halloween activities. We've never gone then.

We didn't do a dining plan or a character meal. We wanted flexibility, and I wasn't sure how the kids would react to the characters. As it happened, the characters were a huge hit from afar, but not up close, so we made the right decision.

Do not miss the evening stuff at MK. I promise you your DS will be entranced by the electrical parade!

If you go in November, avoid New Jersey Teacher Conference weekend and Veteran's Day, they often fall the same time, but not always.

Thank you so much, ladies for your wonderful tips! Megs, Luckymom; good tip about ECV. Is it easily rented from Disney, like the disability office or something like that?

We're leaning towards November now after thinking more & your feedback so far. Egoldber & westwoodmom; it's the idea of having just one child vs. a toddler and an infant that is way easier, and good tip on the Teacher's week! do you know when that week falls on this November, Westwood?

as far with dining plan, a lot seems to do fine without....isn't it more expensive to purchase each entree at every meal time?? trying to see if how does it work if people at the resorts are going without dining plan?

luckymom: you mentioned a rental from an outside company? where would i rent it from? especially if it offers us a guaranteed ride, i think we'd go for that vs. trying to rent from disney.

which way is best to book it? through disney website, expedia, or other avenues? i priced ourselves as a party of 3 just to see the prices and it worked out around 4,850 which includes poly room, airfare, dining meal plan...does not include park tickets as DH can get them through his corporate discounts.

Does that sound about right? this is for 5 nights/6 days? i have no clue on what's reasonable, expensive etc with disney since i'm really a novice ;)

we don't mind spurgling on good trips as we want it to be worthwhile, memorable and fun!! i know i'll be back asking more questions but this is what im thinking above for now....again, thank you!!

megs4413
06-14-2013, 10:29 AM
Thank you so much, ladies for your wonderful tips! Megs, Luckymom; good tip about ECV. Is it easily rented from Disney, like the disability office or something like that?

They're easy to rent at Disney, but they're pretty expensive and then you can only use them in-park and there's a LOT of walking around resorts. You can rent offsite for a more reasonable price. All the info you need is in this thread (post #2) on the disboards:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=595713

as far with dining plan, a lot seems to do fine without....isn't it more expensive to purchase each entree at every meal time?? trying to see if how does it work if people at the resorts are going without dining plan?

It really depends on *how* you eat. if you prefer to order a la carte at a counter service place, then you will probably not benefit from the meal plan unless it's a free promo. If you (like me) prefer to eat at table service restaurants and have an appetizer/drink/dessert with your meal, then the meal plan might be worth it for you.

which way is best to book it? through disney website, expedia, or other avenues? i priced ourselves as a party of 3 just to see the prices and it worked out around 4,850 which includes poly room, airfare, dining meal plan...does not include park tickets as DH can get them through his corporate discounts.

Personally, I think the best way to book it is through a Disney-only travel agent. Other people feel differently, but I prefer using a Disney TA because they are so knowledgable and they can find discounts for your travel dates at any point and apply them to your trip. I have booked through Disney directly (when I had a PIN code) and through a Disney TA. Booking through the TA was better because it was less work for me.

Does that sound about right? this is for 5 nights/6 days? i have no clue on what's reasonable, expensive etc with disney since i'm really a novice ;)
Which level of meal plan does it include?

BayGirl2
06-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Good answers from PP's so I'll just comment on a couple of things:

- For us the dining plan wasn't worth it and we did a lot of sit down meals and character meals. I gave my reasons in another post a bit further down, but basically we just didn't eat exactly the way we would have to to maximize it. I was worried since we couldn't get it and we scheduled so many ADRs. But after the trip I did my analysis and we still came out ahead and would have had to change what we wanted to do to make it work.

- I stayed at the Grand Floridian because I was at a conference, not because it would have been my first choice. We ended up really enjoying. They just added a Mad Hatter themed splash pad that's really fun and the service and being on the monorail cannot be beat. I agree with what others said about the location for the Poly and I think it may win by a smidge because of that. But I do think GF is a great option too.

DualvansMommy
07-01-2013, 09:35 PM
They're easy to rent at Disney, but they're pretty expensive and then you can only use them in-park and there's a LOT of walking around resorts. You can rent offsite for a more reasonable price. All the info you need is in this thread (post #2) on the disboards:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=595713

Thanks Megs! sorry it took me this long to get back to you...but we were away down the shore for our vacation.

It really depends on *how* you eat. if you prefer to order a la carte at a counter service place, then you will probably not benefit from the meal plan unless it's a free promo. If you (like me) prefer to eat at table service restaurants and have an appetizer/drink/dessert with your meal, then the meal plan might be worth it for you.

Personally, I think the best way to book it is through a Disney-only travel agent. Other people feel differently, but I prefer using a Disney TA because they are so knowledgable and they can find discounts for your travel dates at any point and apply them to your trip. I have booked through Disney directly (when I had a PIN code) and through a Disney TA. Booking through the TA was better because it was less work for me.

Which level of meal plan does it include?

The level of meal plan that i was priced included the next tier above the basic dining plan. The more i think about it, as our family eating style doesn't really warrant a dining plan.

while we were down the shore recently, we spend a lot of time on the boardwalk....and DS was terrified of the rides that were age appropriate for him. He had no interest in riding any of them, even if either myself or DH went in with DS. so now i'm rethinking on the whole disney vacation....is it really worth going with DS who has shown no interest at all in the rides???

i was slightly surprised as he was into it last summer as a 15-16 month old toddler. tips??

megs4413
07-01-2013, 09:51 PM
The level of meal plan that i was priced included the next tier above the basic dining plan. The more i think about it, as our family eating style doesn't really warrant a dining plan.

while we were down the shore recently, we spend a lot of time on the boardwalk....and DS was terrified of the rides that were age appropriate for him. He had no interest in riding any of them, even if either myself or DH went in with DS. so now i'm rethinking on the whole disney vacation....is it really worth going with DS who has shown no interest at all in the rides???

i was slightly surprised as he was into it last summer as a 15-16 month old toddler. tips??

you know it's hard to say how he will feel about Disney rides...I've never been to the Jersey Shore so I don't know how it compares. I will say that Disney is a LOT more than just rides. For health reasons, I have to limit what rides I do and I still totally love Disney. Also at that age, he may have just been having an off day. You never know. Does he watch Disney shows or movies? Has he ever seen characters dressed up and if so, did he enjoy it? Could he sit through a short musical show and be entertained?

Also, are there things about Disney that you feel you and your husband would enjoy? Lots to think about...

In terms of the price you got...I would expect that to go down with a discount in one way or another. It seems high to me, personally, especially considering your son is young enough not to need a park ticket or meal plan (he'll be under 3, right?)

DualvansMommy
08-05-2013, 04:03 PM
So, i'm resurreting this thread again as now it seems Oct/Nov this year may be just too hard to swing for us. We're now thinking about going last week of March (24th through 29th) for 5 nights. We got a very reasonable quote that includes 5 nights, meals included (but i could get rid of that to further save costs though) and admissions to 4 disney parks (MK, Epcot, Hollywood studios and AK) although i question the hollywood studios as DS would be way too young for that park?

we'll be going on this trip as 5 adults (my parents in laws, my mum, ourselves) and my 2.5 half year old DS and a 2 month old infant as he/she is due mid jan.

are we crazy>>