PDA

View Full Version : Ride on Boards for Versa vs Cruz

KonzaPrairie
06-13-2013, 06:58 AM
You've probably seen me lamenting about whether to keep my Cruz or get something else before DD2 is born. I keep going back and forth. After driving all over the city, I finally was able to test a Versa with a ride-on board but the store did not have an Uppababy board to test with my Cruz.

While the Versa has an awesome push, I think I like everything else about my Cruz better. Maybe it would just take some getting used to, but I found the Versa fold to be cumbersome and the stroller is HEAVY! I'm small framed and have weak arms so the weight difference felt pretty huge to me. HOWEVER--it's obvious the board would work just fine on the Versa because the handle swings out. On the Cruz, I'm really afraid DD would hit her head with the handle on the lowest setting based on a pic I saw in an amazon review. I was really frustrated I couldn't find one to try out in person. I'm 5'0" and cannot comfortably push the stroller with the handle any higher.

Does anyone have the Cruz ride on board for their two year old? Can they fit with the handle down all the way? If so how long do you think they can ride that way?

Unfortunately I do need to make a decision soon because we are moving internationally next month and I don't anticipate being able to easily buy stuff after DD is born.

FWIW, I'm also getting a snap double (should arrive next week! Yay!) and I have both infant and toddler carriers so the ride-on board isn't an absolute necessity. I was just thinking it would be nice to have and eventually DD1 would have fun with it. At 18 months there is NO WAY I could contain her on a board, but I'm thinking at two years and with a baby in the stroller it might work better.

PZMommy
06-13-2013, 09:59 AM
I don't have experience with the board, but I will say my son couldn't handle a board until he was well past three years old. He was 25 months old when I had my second and not much of a stroller rider at that point. However, once he saw the baby riding in the stroller he wanted to ride in a stroller again. A double stroller is what we needed until my oldest was around 3 1/2.

kaharris83
06-13-2013, 10:20 AM
I very much love my Versa with glider board. I barely weigh 100lbs and I'm a big wimp but I find it nice and compact and easy to toss in my truck. It took a few days to get used to folding and hefting it. DS1 started riding the board a few months ago. He's not compliant but he does awesome on the board surprisingly. He loves it. The way the handle adjusts and having the seat parent facing is perfect for the board on the Versa. He has plenty of room and it's fun to watch him and the baby interact while he's on the board. It is also a great one handed push even with the board. I was hoping he'd be a kid who wanted to ride when he saw the baby riding but that wasn't the case for us.

ebp913
06-13-2013, 10:36 AM
I don't have experience with the board, but I will say my son couldn't handle a board until he was well past three years old. He was 25 months old when I had my second and not much of a stroller rider at that point. However, once he saw the baby riding in the stroller he wanted to ride in a stroller again. A double stroller is what we needed until my oldest was around 3 1/2.

My DD will not stay on a board and she is almost 20 months. I like the Junior X Rider better since it offers a seat and I can belt her in.

Tenasparkl
06-13-2013, 02:02 PM
We have a cruz and added the Valco Hitchhiker and it has worked out great. We have the handlebar all the way our for my DD to fit in between, but it works and we use it all the time.

KonzaPrairie
06-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Tenasparkl, are you saying that it won't work with the handle if it's in?

Also is the Valco Hitchhiker a universal ride on board? Will it work with any stroller? If so I may look closer at that because I could also use it on my jogging stroller!

Ok the Junior X Rider looks really cool, I'd never seen that before! So much to think about!

kaharris you really make me want a Versa! It just seems SO much bigger than my Cruz!

ebp913
06-14-2013, 03:45 PM

Also is the Valco Hitchhiker a universal ride on board? Will it work with any stroller? If so I may look closer at that because I could also use it on my jogging stroller!

Ok the Junior X Rider looks really cool, I'd never seen that before! So much to think about!

kaharris you really make me want a Versa! It just seems SO much bigger than my Cruz!

The Valco HH is pretty universal. I'm not sure exactly what strollers it works with but I hear it talked about a lot on all different types.

kaharris is a terrible influence! She's making me want to sell my Indie Twin for a Duallie AND now I want a Versa!

kaharris83
06-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Sorry ladies. :) I just have to share my Versa(and Duallie) love. It really is a great stroller. And I think the Jr X-Rider looks so cool and if it fits the Versa similar to the BJ board would be an awesome combo.

Tenasparkl
06-14-2013, 05:12 PM

The handle needs to be out for my DD's head to have somewhere to go. It might be OK in with a shorter child.

legaleagle
06-15-2013, 07:51 AM
Tenasparkl - nothing to add to your comment but you have an awesome screen name!

edurnemk
06-15-2013, 08:28 AM

I have a Vista, not a Cruz, and the handle definitely needs to be further out for 2 reasons:
- make room for the child
- so you won't kick the board.

I also have a Bee with a board, and I also have to pull the handle farther out when I use the board. I think this would hold true for all strollers, particullarly if they have a sinlge handle bar vs. Umbrella handles.