PDA

View Full Version : Update in #1: How do you teach your kid to wipe?

BabbyO
06-13-2013, 01:15 PM
UPDATE: I've figured out the answer - have daddy teach him!!! :D Seriously, I have no idea how DH did it, but he explained the # of squares, how to fold it, how to reach. He pretty much did it over 1 weekend. Stachio is doing great. We still "inspect" but really he's got it 99% of the time!

I know this is a bit of a strange question but Stachio is almost 4 and will be starting 4K this fall. He has to know how to take care of all bathroom needs for school. I went out and got (2nd hand) pants with elastic tops so that isn't a problem, but wiping has been problematic.

For starters - the kid will use up 1/2 a roll just trying and he really doesn't get much. Any tips for teaching a boy to wipe - books??

Please, hit me with your best!

123LuckyMom
06-13-2013, 01:19 PM
No advice here! We actually dissuade DS from wiping, because he makes a terrible mess! I feel bad about dissuading him, though, because he really wants to do it himself. I'm looking forward to reading the responses.

lizzywednesday
06-13-2013, 01:21 PM
If people could post tips for boys AND girls, I would appreciate it.

DD doesn't wipe, which is gross but I can deal with it for pee, but for poo I'm kind of sick of washing underpants with skidmarks, KWIM?

♥ms.pacman♥
06-13-2013, 01:27 PM
no advice here either, i am curious too...ds recrmtly pted. he can handle everything on his own except for wiping. luckily he doesn't poop at school so that's not avbig issue, but it would be nice if he could do it on his own. I'm thinking maybe flushable moist wipes would make things easier?

BabyBearsMom
06-13-2013, 01:33 PM
I'm not sure about boys but for DD1, I always took a couple of pieces of toilet paper and then gave her a few pieces. She wiped first and then I wiped. She still sometimes doesn't get it all and we get skidmarks, but it is getting better. At home, I let her use those kidoo flushable wipes if she has a poop and she does a much better job with that than with regular TP.

rin
06-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Bag over head time, but we have told DD she can't wipe herself, and we have her call us to come wipe her. We were letting her try, but she was getting poop all over the place. Maybe we should start trying again . . . Babybearsmom, thanks for your idea.

katydid1971
06-13-2013, 01:59 PM
I think the moist flushable wipe help plus I tell DD "Front to back" with each wipe so she always wipes in the correct direction.

YouAreTheFocus
06-13-2013, 02:04 PM
I agree, this is a tough one. DS is 3y8m. At his preschool the kids are totally responsible for their own toileting. The teachers do not help at all. This means he occasionally ends up with spots in his undies and an itchy bottom. Since I know he doesn't get a good wiping at school, at home we wipe him with the flushable toddler wipes.

wellyes
06-13-2013, 02:10 PM
My first response to this topic was "front to back" :).

Early on we told DD she can have up to 4 sheets of TP, so she doesn't use too much. If she needed to get 4 sheets twice that was OK. Since then we don't monitor it but it hasn't been a problem.

Sometimes she forgets (or gets lazy), so, whenever I see her in the bathroom I remind her to wipe and wash hands.

She doesn't wipe perfectly, but, I bet most kids her age don't. That will come with age and dexterity.

I haven't wiped her bum for her in a year, probably longer than that.

BabbyO
06-13-2013, 02:13 PM
I agree, this is a tough one. DS is 3y8m. At his preschool the kids are totally responsible for their own toileting. The teachers do not help at all. This means he occasionally ends up with spots in his undies and an itchy bottom. Since I know he doesn't get a good wiping at school, at home we wipe him with the flushable toddler wipes.

This is where Stachio will be this fall...no assistance from the teachers. We (DH, Sitter, and me) wipe him now, but even with us wiping sometimes he ends up with skidmarks (I'm guessing from gas??).

I've not seen the flushable toddler wipes. Are they something that kids can open themselves? Are they feasible in a school setting?

I'm also thinking...there are days when it seems like he doesn't know he has to poop until he's already sitting on the toilet...so would he think to bring wipes with him?

jgenie
06-13-2013, 02:23 PM
My first response to this topic was "front to back" :).

Early on we told DD she can have up to 4 sheets of TP, so she doesn't use too much. If she needed to get 4 sheets twice that was OK. Since then we don't monitor it but it hasn't been a problem.

Sometimes she forgets (or gets lazy), so, whenever I see her in the bathroom I remind her to wipe and wash hands.

She doesn't wipe perfectly, but, I bet most kids her age don't. That will come with age and dexterity.

I haven't wiped her bum for her in a year, probably longer than that.

Wow - great job!! DS1 is almost 5.5 and I haven't taught him to wipe himself yet. He goes to K in Sept and has to do it himself then so we're just going to start teaching him. I keep procrastinating but seeing this I'm going to start today.

lizzywednesday
06-14-2013, 02:52 PM

That's actually a good tip - DD is going through the "NO! I do it SELF! SELF!" phase with everything and she won't take TP if I hand it to her.

We're working on the front-to-back thing because she does however she wants right now. Ick.

I've not seen the flushable toddler wipes. Are they something that kids can open themselves? Are they feasible in a school setting?

They're usually next to the baby wipes. Target's come in an orange-and-white package; the Kandoo by Pampers ones are in a purple package with green and aqua lettering & a cartoon frog in baggy jeans.

If you get a dispenser, they're easier to use than if you just have the package, IMO.

Depending on the kid, they could open it themselves - it's a sticker like you'd have for a pack of baby wipes, for example, so if Stachio understands how to open baby wipes, he should be OK.

I'm not entirely sure about how easily they'd integrate into a school setting as they're best left in the bathroom, KWIM? Maybe you could ask his preschool teacher?

okinawama
06-14-2013, 03:42 PM
In regards to helping a child figure out how much TP to use, I saw this pin on pinterest and plan to use it in our bathroom to help out DS1.
http://pinterest.com/pin/3377768443476209/

Is everyone teaching their LO's to sit down when wiping them self? DS always wants to stand, but things are more accessible when sitting, so I'm encouraging that, but he fights me every time.

fedoragirl
06-14-2013, 06:38 PM
DD is 3 years and 5 months and she is doing a great job wiping herself. Her teachers do not help with bathroom needs at all. It is expected that you take care of yourself. I taught her how much TP to use (we use 2 sheets since the German TP is made of iron) and one flushable wipe (used very commonly here). Her school has them in the bathrooms.
Then, I showed her how to wipe (front to back) but also showed her to keep wiping till she can't see the poo anymore on the TP or wipe. She does miss occassionally but she has been doing very well with wiping. At home, I always check after she's done wiping. I get 2-3 skidmarks a month.
Now, I wish night training her were that easy.

georgiegirl
06-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Definitely get flushable wipes. We get the huggies brand. Eventually they can figure it out with regular toilet paper. DS tries to wipe himself often. Fortunately, his poops are harder so there really isn't anything (or much) to wipe.