PDA

View Full Version : Main stroller: Uppababy Cruz, Bumbleride Indie, [insert suggestion here]?

mandapear
06-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Hi All,

I'm a FTM with a 5-month-old. We've been using our Chicco Keyfit 30 with the Keyfit Caddy until now since I am supremely indecisive when it comes to strollers. The time has come to decide, and I need your expert advice!

We live in a walkup apartment in the 'burbs. Will likely leave the stroller downstairs most of the time but I'd like the option to carry it up myself if necessary, so weight is a limiting factor- don't really want to exceed 22 lbs, since baby boy is a chunker. The stroller will mostly be used for neighborhood walks over uneven sidewalks + a few hard-packed dirt paths in the local park. I'll likely keep the caddy in my car for store trips, but would like the stroller to fit in my small trunk for longer trips. We're going to have more kids, and probably pretty soon, but I'm not a fan of the BJCS as a single and the Vista/B-Ready has mixed reviews as a double. Trying to focus on a fab single for now, and will worry about a double when the time comes. Will likely store it folded, so a simple fold (doesn't need to be super compact so long as it can fit in my trunk) is key.

Do I get the Indie, which seems to fit what I need except for the non-reversible seat? I LOVE seeing baby boy when we're out and about, but he may soon want to face the world instead of me. Or the Cruz, which seems to have most of my desired features but has iffy reviews about handling on bumpier terrain? I'd hate to spend $500 on an indoor stroller. Am I missing a comparably lightweight full-featured single? The BJCV, at 26 lbs, is too heavy.

TIA!

KonzaPrairie
06-14-2013, 03:30 PM
I have a Cruz and have used it a LOT outside. No, it doesn't have a stellar push on uneven terrain but I'm sure that it's not the worst there is (I think the Bumbleride Flyer is a reversible that is known for also having a less than great push). My neighborhood has extremely bumpy streets/sidewalks and while it's certainly not great, it's never made my wrists sore or anything. The BJ Versa absolutely has a better push for outdoors but IMO (and I don't own one) the weight is a definite sacrifice. I also found it a little more awkward to fold than the Cruz when I was trying it in the store, even though you can fold it with the seat RF. In your situation the standing fold of the Cruz would be great. I don't know if the Versa has a standing fold.

FWIW, I pushed DD almost exclusively RF until she was around 1, and then left her facing out sometimes because it was easier, but she really didn't seem to care. Now it seems that she enjoys riding facing me more even though she's 19 months. I LOVE the interaction of a reversible stroller and I don't think you would regret that feature at all.

kaharris83
06-14-2013, 04:03 PM
The Versa doesn't have a standing fold, it is compact when folded though, absolutely put it on your list to check out. The push is great indoors and out. One handed with my 31lb 3yo. My DS1 went through phases where he anted to face me and phases where he wanted to face out. Now at 3 if I can convince him to ride he still wants to face me. So reversible is a great feature to have. I totally agree with picking a great single now and worrying about a double when the time comes. New things come out and your needs may be different.

ebp913
06-14-2013, 04:12 PM
Yea I was going to say the Versa maybe. I'm not sure that you'll be that thrilled with the Cruz over that kind of terrain. You could do the Vista though. I love the Indie if you can give up on the reversible thing. I loved my Vista and it handled a good amount of terrain.

Still-in-Shock
06-14-2013, 04:54 PM
I saw that you were concerned about the weight of the Versa. I'm glad you pointed that out, since I had never considered how heavy it was. Have you looked at the Valco Snap or Snap4? The Snap is 13 pounds and easy to fold, but I know nothing about how it will do on uneven pavement, etc.

Kaylee31
06-14-2013, 11:10 PM
I love my Versa & indie and it would be difficult to choose between them. Either could be my one and only stroller though. I'd go for the indie for primary use outdoors, and versa if it was more of a mix of indoor & outdoor use. Both fit in the back of my pilot with the 3rd row up (teeny space!). I was not impressed with the Vista for walks on uneven sidewalks so I think the Cruz would be even worse, since it has smaller wheels and no suspension.

legaleagle
06-15-2013, 07:50 AM
Agreed on the indie, maybe also look at the mountain buggy swift. Another option would be a valco zee with the optional. air tires.

Valco at one point said they would have optional air tires for the snap 4, not sure if they're still planning on doing that.

mandapear
06-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Thanks, all. Will give the Versa another look. The Snap doesn't have as many features as I'd like. Has anyone seen the Valco Spark in person?

Still-in-Shock
06-16-2013, 03:04 PM
It's hard to find a lot of reviews of the Spark, let alone people who have seen it. The only reviews I have found so far are about the Spark duo. The single is 23.8 pounds, so it is right outside your upper limit.

Update: It looks like the seat has to be FF or you need to remove it to fold the Spark. So you could be holding a DC and need to lift 2 pieces into a car to be stowed or carrying them upstairs.

I had great hopes for this for me. Oh well.

Kissmark
06-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Update: It looks like the seat has to be FF or you need to remove it to fold the Spark. So you could be holding a DC and need to lift 2 pieces into a car to be stowed or carrying them upstairs.

I had great hopes for this for me. Oh well.

Don't most strollers need to be forward facing to fold? The only one that can be folded with parent facing seat that I know is Bee.

moll73
06-16-2013, 09:07 PM
Don't most strollers need to be forward facing to fold? The only one that can be folded with parent facing seat that I know is Bee.

The Versa can also fold parent facing!

kep
06-16-2013, 09:57 PM
The Versa can also fold parent facing!

And the Cruz!

Kissmark
06-17-2013, 08:40 AM
And the Cruz!

Oh geez, silly me didn't know that!!

For those who chose the Versa over the Cruz or even uppababy vista, what's the reason? Coz it's not a really lightweight, same as Vista and heavier than Cruz.

kep
06-17-2013, 08:50 AM
I wanted to add, the Cruz fold when parent-facing is quite a bit bulkier than it's normal fold. I usually quickly flip the seat before folding, mainly so that it doesn't take up as much space in my car.

mandapear
06-20-2013, 09:59 AM
So I couldn't decide, and since DH is a medical resident and rarely sees the light of day, much less can make it to a baby store, I bought all 3- Versa, Cruz, Indie- from Amazon Prime. They're currently taking up my entire living room.

So it turns out that I love the Indie. The ride is super smooth, turns on a dime, seat seems nice and comfy and like it will last baby boy through his teenage years. My only hesitation? I love having him face me in our snap'n'go. Will I miss the ability to interact with him during our walks/shopping? Does that outweigh the positives? In an ideal world, I'd keep both Cruz and Indie- Cruz for parent-facing and the huge basket for indoors, and Indie for outdoors.

The Versa. Well, it has all the features I want- better tires than the Cruz, reversible, easy fold, and yet... something is just lacking for me. Like they threw together a stroller from a list without thinking about the form. It seems clunkier than sleek, the basket is almost stupidly large, and the fabric just doesn't measure up (definitely not to the Indie, which is soft/bright/sturdy).

So my question is: how important has a reversible seat been to you? Baby boy is almost 5 months, so may want to face only out soon, but he will not be our only child, and I've heard from friends that their 15+ month olds sometimes like to face in (for naps, easier snacking while out and about). Those with non-reversible seats, do you miss interacting with your child when you're out?

ebp913
06-20-2013, 11:24 AM
I had a Vista and I used it parent facing with my DD who is now 20 months probably until she was about 9 months. I found I didn't use it parent facing as much because I hated to take the seat off and fold it so that could have been part of it. She was fine not facing me for awhile. I have a B-Ready right now (on loan, not permanent) and she does like to face me in it now so I really want to get a Bee to add a reversible. However, that said, I have an Indie Twin that we use primarily since I walk with the kids most days and she doesn't seem to mind facing out. Basically what I am saying is that when she was 12 months old I didn't think the reversible was that big a deal and now I think she prefers to face me again. For our walks it's just too bad for her but for errands and stuff, I really want a reversible. I wish I hadn't sold my Vista...

KonzaPrairie
06-20-2013, 11:39 AM
So I couldn't decide, and since DH is a medical resident and rarely sees the light of day, much less can make it to a baby store, I bought all 3- Versa, Cruz, Indie- from Amazon Prime. They're currently taking up my entire living room.

So it turns out th at I love the Indie. The ride is super smooth, turns on a dime, seat seems nice and comfy and like it will last baby boy through his teenage years. My only hesitation? I love having him face me in our snap'n'go. Will I miss the ability to interact with him during our walks/shopping? Does that outweigh the positives? In an ideal world, I'd keep both Cruz and Indie- Cruz for parent-facing and the huge basket for ndoors, and Indie for outdoors.

The Versa. Well, it has all the features I want- better tires than the Cruz, reversible, easy fold, and yet... something is just lacking for me. Like they threw together a stroller from a list without thinking about the form. It seems clunkier than sleek, the basket is almost stupidly large, and the fabric just doesn't measure up (definitely not to the Indie, which is soft/bright/sturdy).

So my question is: how important has a reversible seat been to you? Baby boy is almost 5 months, so may want to face only out soon, but he will not be our only child, and I've heard from friends that their 15+ month olds sometimes like to face in (for naps, easier snacking while out and about). Those with non-reversible seats, do you miss interacting with your child when you're out?

I bought a cruz for my first baby. she's 20 months now and I still use the stroller parent facing atleast 60% of the time. I'm now trying to decide if I want to keep the cruz or get the versa for baby #2. reversible is non-negotiable for me, I used it almost exclusively for the first year with DD. I started using it forward facing when she was around a year, mostly because I started getting lazy about reversing the seat, even though it's super easy and would only take a second. I've realized she's a better stroller rider when she's facing me so now I take the extra second to switch the seat. I know there are a lot of people have non reversible strollers and it is a luxury, but to me it's worth it.

I played with a versa in the store and decided I really liked my cruz better, for a lot of the reasons you stated. it is definitely sleeker, lighter, and I like the fabric and canopy better. the fold might even be easier on the cruz despite not being able to fold it parent facing. However the cruz definitely does not have as nice a push, and then the deal breaker might be that I can't use the buggy board for my toddler with the handle all the way in. I'm short and the versa handle is in a significantly better position for short people. these things might not be as big a deal to you.

I've ordered a versa and I'm excited to test it out next to the cruz to see if I can live without the things I like on the cruz better. good luck with your decision!

mandapear
06-21-2013, 06:36 PM
OK. Returned the Cruz. It just seemed a bit too much like a fancy snap'n'go, and the more I pushed it around the apartment, the less I liked it. 1 down, 1 to go.

crl
06-21-2013, 07:28 PM
I have never had a parent facing stroller. I know many people love them, but if I were buying yet another stroller, I still wouldn't be looking for that feature. I guess I think of stroller time as a bit of a break for both me and my kid and I'm fine with not having a parent facing stroller. I loved my Indie. :)

Catherine

kaharris83
06-21-2013, 08:26 PM
My DS1 wanted to parent face until about 13 months. Then again at 2.5. Now he only rides when he can face me. When he was born I didn't think parent facing was important at all but spent a miserable 3 months until I finally bought a parent facing stroller. To me parent facing is a must have.

I had an Indie Twin. While gorgeous I didn't feel like the quality was there at all. It felt rickety and cheap. I haven't had a single so maybe those feel differently. Oh and my average size 2.5 year old didn't fit well in the Indie. He was squished.

crl
06-22-2013, 10:03 AM
I think the parent facing is a ymmv thing. Definitely get it if it is important for you! I completely understand that it is a great feature for a lot of people, even a must have. But I tried dd in a borrowed vista at one point when she wasn't very happy about riding in the stroller and it didn't help at all. And when I was posting about it, at least one other person posted that her kid did worse parent facing. I guess I have also had kids who tended to sleep on the stroller and I always think of the advice not to look at a kid who you want to go to sleep as it keeps them awake (I think I read that in the No Cry Sleep Solution.). I guess what I am trying to say is that I think whether parent facing is an important feature depends on the particular parent and child so while it can very legitimately be a must-have for some people, it can also legitimately be not all that important to others.

I kept my indie until dd was about two and she had plenty of room, as did my neighbor's average size three year old. It was not as sturdy as a Bob, for example, but I used it daily for long walks over rough sidewalks/packed dirt path and had zero issues with it. So I think it is definitely sturdy enough for typical use.

Catherine