PDA

View Full Version : Prometrium during pregnancy

Zukini
06-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Does anyone have any experience with taking Prometrium (progesterone) during early pregnancy? I found some older threads here on it being used to help prevent miscarriage. My HCG is rising, albeit slowly, but my progesterone has dropped from 27 at 3w6d to 16 at 5w5d. I am not spotting or cramping like my previous failed pregnancy but the sac was measuring smaller than expected at u/s this week which made it hard for them to date based on size. My OB wants me to start taking the oral pill 100mg twice daily through the end of the first trimester. We had a m/c earlier this year at 7w due to blighted ovum, and it was really rough (been doing this TTC thing for over a year, quit my job to reduce stress, had major fibroid surgery, saw RE for full workup, etc even before m/c).

So I will be taking the progesterone to help as much as possible. If you've taken it, what side effects did you experience? Extreme fatigue and sleepiness, nausea, constipation, weight gain? I'm trying to prepare myself and DH for what to reasonably expect. Thank you so much.

kaharris83
06-13-2013, 04:23 PM
No side effects for me when I've taken it. I've taken it orally and vaginally. I've taken it during 3 pregnancies. I don't usually have side effects with fertility meds though that others commonly do. I hope the progesterone helps you.

specialp
06-13-2013, 04:26 PM
I think I had hot flashes. I can't remember which side effects I had with which things, but I do think I ran hot with prometrium.

vludmilla
06-13-2013, 04:29 PM
The only side effect that I experienced was severe constipation. I am taking progesterone intramuscular shots now and I much prefer them to the suppositories.

brittone2
06-13-2013, 05:33 PM
I supplemented with crinone after conceiving DS1 via iui/injectables. My RE at the time used it prophylactically (this was almost 10 years ago though).

My levels with DD were horrible. I think like a 6? I begged for them to call in some progesterone to get me through until my order for crinone came in. They told me to take it orally, but I opted on my own to take it vaginally. I then moved to crinone once my pharmacy got it ordered.

With DS2 my levels were fine so they tested but I never supplemented.

I remember being a little more tired at night. I also used prometrium a bit while going through IF (orally to induce cycles as mine were very long at the time due to PCOS) and it had the same effect. Just sort of a more mellow and tired feeling for me at night. That was preferable for me, because on Provera (synthetic progresterone) I was an absolute b*tch of epic proportions. Prometrium and I get along much better ;)

megs4413
06-13-2013, 05:47 PM
I took it with my last two pregnancies. I find it makes me dizzy, but that could also be just early pregnancy dizziness.

crayonblue
06-14-2013, 12:21 AM
Yes, I did with both of my girls. No side effects at all.

KpbS
06-14-2013, 12:28 AM
I took it with my 3rd pregnancy (DD) and had no side effects.

Zukini
06-14-2013, 12:50 AM
Thank you all for sharing. I picked up my rx tonight so will start taking it and report back on how it goes!

bostonsmama
06-14-2013, 01:16 PM
I would definitely ask for another u/s in 2 weeks. Progesterone supplementation can mask an early m/c or blighted ovum, so you wouldn't bleed or spot or start resolving until you stopped the medication (well, I never did). I think u/s at 5w any days is very early. With my DD, they saw nothing in the sac around that time when they "should have," leading me to great worry and an initial diagnosis of ectopic (since an empty gestational sac can also be a pseudo sac of an ectopic). A week later there was a heartbeat, yolk sac, whole 9!

I didn't like inserting the tablets vaginally. It caused spotting for me. I did do PIO shots for 2 of my IVF pregnancies. My hips were sore, but there was zero spotting or side effects. It certainly can't hurt.

Zukini
06-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Day #7 of Promethium supplement, and just wanted to update that I don't have any noticeable side effects besides extra-extra fatigue and a little wooziness. So I'm taking the pill orally around 3pm and then again close to midnight so that when the sleepiness kicks in, I'm close to home. No bleeding or cramping -- yaay! And our next u/s is still scheduled for next week at 7w 5d. Hoping and praying to see all developing well with the baby then!

megs4413
06-20-2013, 05:50 PM
thanks for the update. I hope the scan goes well!