PDA

View Full Version : Family drama

AngB
06-13-2013, 11:37 PM
If you are called and told that your brother (who has many health problems and is severely physically handicapped) is in the ICU on a ventilator, do you respond with...
A) Oh no! What can I do?
B) When can I go visit him?
C) Oh. Well I'm going to Ohio on Monday for the week. [for fun]

UM, NOT C! My grandmother called my aunt with that news and C was her only response. She only lives a half hour away, her kids are both independent adults, their parents are in their 80's and my mom is the legal guardian for my uncle and is constantly visiting him, staying on top of the workers at his crappy nursing home type place, taking off work to go to his medical appointments, etc., etc., etc.

Her older sister cannot be bothered to even go visit their brother, EVER, and now I see she's on FB playing that fricking candy crush game.
I am so disgusted on my mom's behalf. Please tell me I can FB unfriend her? She will probably notice but I don't care.

(My uncle is doing better, off the vent and no longer in critical care but still in the icu, he will need surgery on his kidneys. He has a lot of health issues that stem from a brain tumor as a child, and though he's only in his 40's, it would not be shocking if he doesn't survive this, his quality of life is so poor that it is really complicated.)

crl
06-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Oh, I am so sorry. I hope your uncle continues to improve. I think unfriending her is totally reasonable, although I might just block to avoid adding to the drama.

Catherine

KpbS
06-14-2013, 12:45 AM
Sending :hug:

fedoragirl
06-14-2013, 08:12 AM
That is very, very selfish. But it sounds typical of someone who is used to someone else doing all the work for them. I have several such outstanding members in my extended family.
I hope your uncle recovers and knows that he is loved by someone in his family.

liz
06-14-2013, 08:38 AM
I am so sorry OP. Totally understanable why you are upset with your aunt. Thank goodness for your mom, she sounds wonderful :hug: Sending P&PT.

BabyBearsMom
06-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Unfriend her

I'm so sorry for your uncle.

OKKiddo
06-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Yep, time to drop and block. Just because you're joined by DNA doesn't mean that you're forced to keep them on social media, telephone, or even email. In fact, I think in some families, good ole snail mail is the best thing.

hellokitty
06-14-2013, 01:44 PM
:hug: Unfortunately, I understand the type of family member you are dealing with. My dad is that family member and did something very similar when someone in our immediate family was in a very serious car accident. Thank goodness your uncle has your mom. I would block your aunt, she doesn't sound like a nice person.