PDA

View Full Version : Which train table: Nilo, PBK, or LON? Or feel free to rec another...

geminimagk
06-14-2013, 05:36 PM
I see there hasn't been a train table thread in a while. I am looking for a train table for my almost 3-year-old, but I don't need something with all the pieces because I've amassed quite a collection of Thomas toys. I want something without brands all over it and a table that could be repurposed for something else later on. I'd like to keep it in the range of $200. The 3 tables I've come up with are:

1. Nilo: http://www.nilotoys.com/at.htm
Disadvantage: The top is white and this will always look like a kids' play table. But, do I really care? Not sure if I plan to use it for anything non-child related in the future, like a coffee table.

2. PBK Carolina activity table: http://www.potterybarnkids.com/produ...able-espresso/
Disadvantage: I despise PBK. (Hate their 30-day return policy and their overall ****ty customer service)

3. LON activity table: http://www.landofnod.com/lt.-honey-l...roller/s520950
Disadvantage: No lips around the edges to keep things from falling off.

Thoughts?

ETA: I live in the Detroit area and if anyone has one for sale, please let me know!

AngB
06-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Craigslist!

geminimagk
06-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Craigslist!

Searched....no luck :( I always have the worst luck with CL!

YouAreTheFocus
06-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Sorry, CL was my call, too. I basically stalked Craigslist for all of these tables for several months. I wanted one that came with the underneath bins. I missed a lot of times! I ended up with an older style PB one, and I love it. You can fit a ton in the bins (the new ones are much much smaller).

The lip issue is a tough one, you want the lip for trains and other play, but then if you want to use it for drawing/writing later on the lip will be in the way.

Sorry, Idk if I am any help!

ETA: This is the one we have :)

http://toledo.craigslist.org/bab/3840500171.html

AngB
06-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Searched....no luck :( I always have the worst luck with CL!

Oh man! Ours has like 3 posted a day, easily. Make sure to check the "baby and kids stuff" section and "toys and games" (sorry if that's obvious, I didn't even realize there was a toys and games section till recently and I have been using it for a couple years now.)

geminimagk
06-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Oh man! Ours has like 3 posted a day, easily. Make sure to check the "baby and kids stuff" section and "toys and games" (sorry if that's obvious, I didn't even realize there was a toys and games section till recently and I have been using it for a couple years now.)

Thanks! I've just been doing a search for "train table"

Bryan mom
06-14-2013, 06:37 PM
If you can wait until Oct/Nov, Costco usually sells a KidKraft Train table with 2 large bins on casters and lots of accessories. It was about $125 plus tax.

ahisma
06-14-2013, 07:58 PM
The Target Circo one worked for us. It's cheap enough that you don't feel bad just passing it on when you're done. It's sturdy enough to hold up for years of play, we passed ours on to a preschool after 2 years of use.

FWIW, we have the LON one and it's too small for trains. The curves don't turn tight enough to get anything but a very bare bones track on it. I like the table, but IMO it's useless as a train table.

jgenie
06-14-2013, 09:50 PM
We went with a Nilo - N50 - Woodworker Table - $169, including shipping & handling (scroll down toward the bottom on the page you listed). You have to go to Home Depot or Lowe's and purchase the top but it took DH less than an hour including driving time. The top we purchased is tan not white.

From the website:
You must go to your local Home Depot or lumber yard and have a melamine or plywood 1/2" thick piece cut to size for this table, 32 7/8" X 49".

almostamom
06-14-2013, 10:24 PM
Does Brio still make train tables? I just sold ours today. It's 17 years old (went through 2 nephews before it came to our house and has been played with nearly daily in those 17 years.) It is still solid as a rock. The train track, tunnels, bridges are glued on, but that piece is removable and can be flipped for a blank flat surface to create your own track creations. I hated to sell it because it's so sturdy and still in excellent shape, but we have no room. I am so impressed with the quality of this train table, but I don't know if they're even made any longer.

crayonblue
06-14-2013, 11:56 PM
We got the Nilo. I think I paid $65 on C'List. I found it under "activity table" not train table.

lhafer
06-15-2013, 09:45 AM
WE have the Nilo train table and love it. It is in the playroom. I have girls and had trains when they were little (2-3yrs old). Now they are 7 and 3, and it has the doll house on it...so it's a good height for them to play. It's held up really well.

westwoodmom04
06-15-2013, 10:05 AM
Definitely hold out for craig's list, you'll pay a quarter of the price. That's where we got ours, six years ago now and still going strong (I think its kidcraft)

arivecchi
06-15-2013, 10:22 AM
We got a Nilo one from a local toy store which assembled it for us. It is so strong and well made. Definitely worth the $$$ IMO. Just does not even compare to the kidkraft/target/imaginarium stuff we have had. It's heavy solid wood. The boys use it for magnatiles and trains. They even jump off it at times. :bag It's that strong. When we are done I know I will get good money for it in my CL.

P.S. We actually had the Imaginarium one from BRU. It was a nightmare to put together and Imaginarium CS never answered calls.

purple
07-05-2013, 09:51 PM
I looked at the exact 3 tables earlier this year. I settled on the Nilo or PBK one because i finally decided i wanted a lip. And then thr PB was on backorder and the Nilo one was in stock near me so we got the Nilo. Have been very happy with the purchase. Pro - it feels very solid and well made, and does not seem like the paint may chip at any moment like some PB furniture. Con - not as "furniture" looking as the PB one, but i figured that didnt really bother me since it was going to have trains on it and we were unlikely to repurpose it.

azzeps
07-07-2013, 01:00 AM
We just got a PBK table from Craigslist, the one with the big bins on casters. So far we love it! Paid only $100 for it, too! It's in good shape despite the two previous kids who used it for, I'd say probably 7-8 years.

hillview
07-07-2013, 07:05 AM
We got a Nilo one from a local toy store which assembled it for us. It is so strong and well made. Definitely worth the $$$ IMO. Just does not even compare to the kidkraft/target/imaginarium stuff we have had. It's heavy solid wood. The boys use it for magnatiles and trains. They even jump off it at times. :bag It's that strong. When we are done I know I will get good money for it in my CL.

we had out Nilo table (thanks to BBB) for years. Held up super well never looked like it had been used and abused (PBK stuff does after a while IMO).