PDA

View Full Version : Mommy drive by

dream135
06-16-2013, 02:30 PM
At the checkout line, seeing my sons diaper peeking out of the back of his shorts... This lady comments "young man, aren't you too old for diapers?", then my DS sticks his fingers in his mouth, and the lady goes - "two bad habits". I felt compelled to point out that he's not that old and that he's only 1 and half years old.

Really... If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything!

Dont know why it annoyed me so much. This happened yesterday and I'm still thinking about it. Thought I'd vent here and move on...

Thanks for listening.

LMPC
06-16-2013, 02:32 PM
WTH is wrong with her?! Don't give it a second thought...she's obviously strange!

JustMe
06-16-2013, 02:42 PM
WOW, I hate when people do things like that. I always want to reply 'would you please get some boundaries", but usually can't bring myself to be so blunt.

georgiegirl
06-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Seriously? That's insane.

nrp
06-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Not that I can ever think of a witty response when these situations arise, but she deserves: "Well, at 18 months he is very likely to outgrow his "bad habits" as you call them, but I have serious doubts that you will ever outgrow your rudeness."

What a nut job!

mommylamb
06-16-2013, 02:52 PM
What a jerk.

Sweetum
06-16-2013, 03:11 PM
I have only one response to these types of situations - give them a look as if to say "do you know what you are talking about?" and then ignore it.
st*pid woman.

gatorsmom
06-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Ugh, those comments stay with me too. I hate when people do that.

When Gator was 9mo (yes, I still remember this!) I was holding him on my hip while waiting in line. Some grumpy old guy i didnt know said, "when you going to get that kid some shoes?" I said, "when he starts to walk!" Really made me mad.

Try to forget that grumpy old woman. She's not worth the energy.

Still-in-Shock
06-16-2013, 03:39 PM
:yeahthat:
Not that I can ever think of a witty response when these situations arise, but she deserves: "Well, at 18 months he is very likely to outgrow his "bad habits" as you call them, but I have serious doubts that you will ever outgrow your rudeness."

What a nut job!

Beth24
06-16-2013, 04:35 PM
How about replying, aren't you too old to have such bad manners? What a nosy b$&@h.

BunnyBee
06-16-2013, 06:04 PM
WTF? What a cranky old bag!

hbridge
06-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Yep, unfortunately there will probably be more comments in your future. I'm always try to be very careful to protect DC's self-esteem when these things happen.

DC is VERY tall and articulate so strangers often assume an age that is much older than reality. We were in a restaurant when she wasn't even 3 and the woman behind the counter started yelling at me that she should be in school and that she knew that town had school today! Why wasn't she in Kindergarten... She went on and on. Poor DC just looked at me thinking we were doing something wrong. I was flabbergasted and told the woman her real age, I don't think she believed me...

People say the weirdest things...

momm
06-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Dont know why it annoyed me so much. This happened yesterday and I'm still thinking about it.

Um, You dont know? I have a very fair idea.

How old does she think kids are, when they potty train? How old was she? All I can think is that she is too old to remember her kids.

MamaMolly
06-17-2013, 07:28 AM

What a nut job!

:yeahthat: Time to sharpen your tongue, OP. I don't know why some people feel the need to comment on little kids, but I know that both my girls pay attention to, and would be upset by something like this. It sticks with the kids too. :( It's ok to defend your children.

A long time ago someone else posted something similar to NRP's comment above and it was very helpful to me when Lula was three. We were at the beach and Lula was being a typical 3 yo and testing boundaries (I wasn't even annoyed, she wasn't being a PITA, she was actually being sweet about it) and some random guy CAME UP TO ME and made a mouthy comment about how he preferred dogs to kids, at least they came when you called. I mustered my inner BBB mama and said 'well she's only 3 years old and is still learning how to behave. What's your excuse?'

He looked really surprised and apologized but I sent him stink eye for the rest of the afternoon. The nerve of some people!

I also saw a great Tshirt on Pinterest. It said: My mom doesn't want your opinion.

123LuckyMom
06-17-2013, 09:03 AM
:yeahthat: Time to sharpen your tongue, OP. I don't know why some people feel the need to comment on little kids, but I know that both my girls pay attention to, and would be upset by something like this. It sticks with the kids too. :( It's ok to defend your children.

A long time ago someone else posted something similar to NRP's comment above and it was very helpful to me when Lula was three. We were at the beach and Lula was being a typical 3 yo and testing boundaries (I wasn't even annoyed, she wasn't being a PITA, she was actually being sweet about it) and some random guy CAME UP TO ME and made a mouthy comment about how he preferred dogs to kids, at least they came when you called. I mustered my inner BBB mama and said 'well she's only 3 years old and is still learning how to behave. What's your excuse?'

He looked really surprised and apologized but I sent him stink eye for the rest of the afternoon. The nerve of some people!

I also saw a great Tshirt on Pinterest. It said: My mom doesn't want your opinion.

That's fantastic! Good for you!

OP, I'm sorry that happened. People can be seriously rude!

dream135
06-17-2013, 10:20 AM

:bighand:
That's a great response! I'm at work and laughing out loud.

BabyBearsMom
06-17-2013, 10:28 AM
I think I would have said "And do you have other bad habits besides being incredibly rude and a nosy busy body?"

bigpassport
06-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Sorry to hear you experienced such a rude person, OP. When I am shocked, I am usually speechless too.

Giantbear
06-17-2013, 10:43 AM
At the checkout line, seeing my sons diaper peeking out of the back of his shorts... This lady comments "young man, aren't you too old for diapers?", then my DS sticks his fingers in his mouth, and the lady goes - "two bad habits". I felt compelled to point out that he's not that old and that he's only 1 and half years old.

Really... If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything!

Dont know why it annoyed me so much. This happened yesterday and I'm still thinking about it. Thought I'd vent here and move on...

Thanks for listening.see, this is why i want to teach dd how to flip someone the bird

janine
06-17-2013, 11:26 AM
People just love to make comments in the supermarket!

I had both kids yesterday and it was a packed store. By the end both wanted out of the cart (you know how that goes).
So there I was with screaming baby in cart and #2 (4yrs) following me (told her to stay right behind and I was constantly looking at her for the 2mins this took). But I'm sure I looked like a clueless mom with unattended child. Everything HAD been neatly under control up that moment. I got some lovely dirty looks and then a snide know it all comment too. I did feel like a failure yesterday.
Whatever. I feel your pain :hug5:

Corie
06-17-2013, 05:56 PM
I had an old lady make a nasty comment to me about my kids
while we were shopping in a department store.

I was tired and grouchy and I yelled at her,

"MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS, OLD LADY!!"

Not my finest moment...