PDA

View Full Version : Advice of PBK wall storage system?

soupmom
06-16-2013, 03:14 PM
I'm looking at purchasing a PB Kids Cameron wall storage system in a dark wood. Does anyone have any advice on how/ when to get the best price or a anywhere else I should look for a similiar unit? thanks

azzeps
06-16-2013, 03:40 PM
I always like the looks of that. I think when I looked at it last there were a lot of negative reviews, though, saying they scratched easily. Anyway, we didn't end up with one because our ceilings slope and it wouldn't fit. We got a couple Expedit shelves from ikea that work well so far. If you want the PBK setup, i know sometimes they run sales on "storage" so maybe then? or create a registry and get the completion code? not sur if its good on furniture though. Good luck!

Pennylane
06-16-2013, 08:37 PM
I waited to get mine when they went on sale, which they do every now and then. I have to say though it does scratch very easily! I loved the system and the way it looked, but after a few years it looked so bad. If I had to do it all over again I would have looked for a less expensive option.

Ann

llama8
06-16-2013, 08:41 PM
We got the expedit from Ikea to store toys in our playroom and we have used it for 2 years and it looks brand new. I don't love Ikea furniture too much, but this storage unit is amazing.

army_mom
06-16-2013, 08:48 PM
I think we got ours during the 20% storage sale, which was in the spring if I remember right. We got the dark wood and the stain has scratched off very easily. The construction has held up well and we like the versatility since we can change it up every time we move if we need to. If I had to rebuy, I would either look for a cheaper unit (maybe something Kidkraft?) or look for the painted furniture. Our painted pink chairs and bookcases have held up really well, i just think it is something with their stain that rubs off and looks bad after awhile. My brother has tons of PBK stuff that has held up and looks great after years but it is ALL painted white and not stained. That is our experience anyway.
Good luck in your search!

just checked PBK and we have the cameron system cubbies with lower storage system. They are on sale now for 15% off.

hlt0903
06-16-2013, 09:14 PM
They have something similar at Costco but I'm not sure how it compares. I got the pottery barn ones used from Craig's list and they do scratch very easily so I'm glad I didn't buy them new !

soupmom
06-17-2013, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the feedback. We've been back and forth between PBK and Ikea. I love the look of PBK, but you've convinced me to look for an Ikea solution. I'd be really frustrated if they didn't hold up. Thanks so much.

Mommy2Abby
06-17-2013, 09:42 AM
We have it painted in white, and it has held up wonderfully after several years. (We also have a PBK white table and chairs set.)

We got it with a 10% Registry completion coupon - you can set up a registry for any occasion and then get the discount after the date has passed.