PDA

View Full Version : pregnant after ectopic--WWYD?

petesgirl
06-16-2013, 11:11 PM
I'm looking for a little advice here...I had an ectopic pregnancy a little over a year ago. I had my period about 2 weeks before it happened and had no idea I was even pregnant but by the time I got to the ER I had a lot of internal bleeding and the surgeon said she drained about 2 liters of blood from my internal cavity. MY OB/GYN said that next time I got pregnant, it would be important to see him right away so that he could determine if it was ectopic again (I guess there is an increased risk of recurrence?).

So..I got a positive pregnancy test on Friday. I called the OB's office and explained my history and the triage nurse said not to come in until 6 weeks. But I am going back an forth because my OB made it sound like I should get in as soon as I knew I was expecting. Would you wait? Would you insist on an appt? I have my OB's cell phone so I could contact him directly but I don't want to be annoying. And the nurse should know what she is talking about, right?

I just would rather not bleed to death, ya know....

abh5e8
06-16-2013, 11:38 PM
oh mama, i'd call your ob. a quick phone call is all it would take to clarify the instructions to "see him right away," and not only will it make you feel better, it sounds like it could be really important for your health! (although i would not call tonight...tomorrow morning at 8 would be fine.)

ArizonaGirl
06-17-2013, 12:23 AM
oh mama, i'd call your ob. a quick phone call is all it would take to clarify the instructions to "see him right away," and not only will it make you feel better, it sounds like it could be really important for your health! (although i would not call tonight...tomorrow morning at 8 would be fine.)

:yeahthat: and I am totally not the type to call after hours or anything, but in this case, I would tomorrow morning that is.

MamaMolly
06-17-2013, 06:57 AM
No one is perfect (meaning the nurse). Go ahead and call your OB's cell during business hours.

momm
06-17-2013, 07:00 AM
Congratulations on your pregnancy and P&PT that it all goes well this time!!

I would definitely definitely call the practice back and get an appointment ASAP, as per the Doctor's orders. Failing that, I would call the OB to make sure.

Good luck!!

specialp
06-17-2013, 07:08 AM
I would call, too.

They cannot see if the pregnancy is in the uterus until 5 weeks via ultrasound. Sometimes that is a little iffy and at 6 weeks, it should be really clear. However, earlier than that, they can do 2 blood draws 48 hours apart to see if your hcg betas are doubling. If they are increasing well, then it is a good sign. Doesn't rule anything out, but gives some peace of mind during the wait. So, Dr. may be wanting you to do that sooner.

I can only imagine how nervous this makes you. My sister had an ectopic. She had a healthy and uneventful pregnancy a few months later and was very nervous, too.

mom3boys
06-17-2013, 09:12 AM
I'd call this morning if you have not already. Call the practice back first and insist on being seen, if they still give you the "6 weeks" thing than you can call your OB directly.

elektra
06-17-2013, 09:57 AM
I would keep calling, and request a call back from the OB if possible. I think you should really try and get in for the blood draws.
I had two ectopics before DD, including one with the 2 liters of internal bleeding, emergency surgery, and A LOT of pain.

Right after I had DD, my OB retired and when I got pregnant with DS, I had not yet decided on an OB (as the one my retired doc recommended, I did not like). When I found a new one, the front staff was not kind or understanding at all when I was begging them to please let me in asap because of my ectopics. I think I had to wait until 6 weeks too (although I was only just over 4 weeks when I called). Basically they refused to fit me in in the next week, I had to wait a full 10 days.
It was torture (and I should have paid attention to the writing on the wall there but that is for a different post).
Your OB who knows your history should definitely get you in asap for a blood draw. Maybe if they can't see you for an appt, you can at least get a request for the lab work?
Good luck!

petesgirl
06-17-2013, 10:39 PM
So I got a hold of my doctor directly and he said the same thing, wait until 6 weeks. I'm still surprised though because both DH and I were under the impression that he wanted us to come back right away. I am thinking of seeing my family dr. and asking her to order the HCG levels.

Rainbows&Roses
06-17-2013, 10:48 PM
I would definitely see your family practice dr and get early blood draws. By the time you get to 6 weeks, you are already getting into the danger zone for ectopics and they can be very difficult to diagnose (or undiagnosable as mine was till they started surgery) so get all the data you can.

megs4413
06-17-2013, 11:21 PM
my doc wanted to see me earlier and I don't even have that history! I had betas done with both of my last pregnancies...I think i'd look for another opinion. Prayers for a healthy pregnancy for you!