PDA

View Full Version : Feel like I suck at most things!

janine
06-17-2013, 10:21 AM
I am a WOHM. I'm getting close to accepting the fact that I basically have mommy track job. And I don't even seem so good at that some days. I've been at the same company 7+ years and becoming cynical/disgruntled. But it's a mommy track (fair hours, low stress) with decent pay so I deal with it. Could be worse.

At home I'm always running, stressed, yelling at kids to do a,b, or c. My dinners are lame....take out fills in the gaps. I'm no Suzy homemaker, not by a long shot. I do laundry, shopping, baths, but this is just the basic. There is no cute craft time, or just hanging out in the back yard because otherwise there is no time for me to just get the basics done.

I've talked about it with DH...he doesn't say it but I think he thinks I'm always complaining...what the hell else do I want now. He will say, just quit then. But I have fears over that...less $, stability,..and worst of all it may be revealed I suck at SAHM even without the pressures of WOHM.

No point to this post, Just had to get it out.

BabyBearsMom
06-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Cut yourself some slack, momma. It's hard to be a mom and WOH FT is tough business. Turn off the pinterest and forget about the crafts. I don't think a single child has ever grown up lamenting that their mom didn't do enough crafts with them. I also don't think that there is a single child who grew up wishing their mom had made more gourmet meals. Heck, even when I try to make something special, all DD1 wants to eat is a sandwich! You aren't sucking at everything.

boltfam
06-17-2013, 12:03 PM
Cut yourself some slack, momma. It's hard to be a mom and WOH FT is tough business. Turn off the pinterest and forget about the crafts. I don't think a single child has ever grown up lamenting that their mom didn't do enough crafts with them. I also don't think that there is a single child who grew up wishing their mom had made more gourmet meals. Heck, even when I try to make something special, all DD1 wants to eat is a sandwich! You aren't sucking at everything.

:yeahthat: I think back to my childhood, and my mom never did those things with me, but she was an AWESOME mom, and I always knew I was loved (and still do). I don't know where all these notions that we have to make crafts and gourmet meals to be a good mom. But I totally get what you mean, b/c I feel the same was as a SAHM.

marymoo86
06-17-2013, 12:14 PM
:yeahthat: I think back to my childhood, and my mom never did those things with me, but she was an AWESOME mom, and I always knew I was loved (and still do). I don't know where all these notions that we have to make crafts and gourmet meals to be a good mom. But I totally get what you mean, b/c I feel the same was as a SAHM.

:yeahthat:

No crafts at home here either and I didn't miss it. Totally feel the same that I should be making better meals, doing more crafty things, but there's only so much time in the day! I never missed those things growing up and what has stuck with me was my mom's presence - not terrific meals, clean house, or crafts. She was there and wanted to be with me.

BDKmom
06-17-2013, 12:54 PM
I think most of us feel like this at one time or another. As moms, we are spread way too thin. I have gone through those times as a working mom when I feel I am no good when I am at work because I am worn out from home things, and no good at home because I am worn out from work. I'm sure SAHMs have those times, too, when they feel like just when they get one thing handled, another thing falls apart.

You are not alone, so feel free to vent. We all get it. :hug:

lizzywednesday
06-17-2013, 12:55 PM
We are in survival mode 'round these parts, too.

My job pays the bills and I carry our health insurance. It's not particularly exciting or creative, but I feel like I would be giving up a lot of independence if I opted to SAH, so I've opted to work.

For the record, if we do a craft, I have to plan it WEEKS in advance. Like last year's Mother's Day egg-carton flowerpots and this year's styrofoam golf-tee hedgehogs - ~$10 in supplies, but WEEKS of planning to carve out the time to get it done. And we still finished them up the day of!

I rarely feel like cooking more than pasta with jarred sauce and nuking some frozen broccoli (because my DD loves broccoli.)

We eat takeout and pizza more days than I'd like to admit.

If I compared myself to my DH's SIL when she was doing the SAHM thing, I would be depressed and frustrated.

But, you know what? It doesn't do anyone any good to compare themselves to "other" people. I am me; I do what I do, not what "everyone else" does.

Cut yourself some slack, OP. You're doing fine.

AnnieW625
06-17-2013, 12:58 PM
I miss my craft time too. Big hugs to you. I feel like you do a lot of time. I feel like a million bucks because I made tonight's dinner the crock pot yesterday.

janine
06-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Thanks all, I know I'm not alone. I wasn't meaning to sound like I'm feeling sorry for myself either, we are all going through this to some degree.

It's just that some days work is feeling like a dead end, and I tell myself, look you took this job for the hours and pay and focus is HOME in the end.

Then I'm home and it's like pizza on the table and me telling the kids to let mommy have some time. I tell myself it's because I work/commute and that I can't do it sometimes and I'm tired.

SO I guess I'm calling myself out a bit..what is it that I'm actually focused on then or am I getting right?

Hopefully it was just a bad weekend in terms of being a bit of a fail all around!

Thanks for the support, big help! :)

mommylamb
06-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Honestly, if I were a SAHM, I wouldn't do crafts anyway. Not a fan, and not at all crafty.

It's just really hard to juggle it all. I've been struggling with a desire to start looking for a new job that is more challenging than my current one, and balancing that against the fact that my current job can be challenging at times and is a great flexible mommy gig. It's hard because I really feel like I'd like to advance in my field, but to do so would require more extensive travel and work hours.

There just aren't enough hours in the day.