PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Hershey Park/Dutch Wonderland

reneed
06-17-2013, 04:29 PM
We are planning on taking DS for the first time and I'm clueless on the hotels in the area. I'd love to stay at a Marriott brand hotel but I'm not opposed to staying elsewhere. I'm also clueless if we need 2 days in the park or if 1 is enough. Are there any other must do things in the area? Any advice is appreciated! Thank you

boolady
06-17-2013, 04:34 PM
We are very partial to the Best Western Premier Eden Resort that is very close to Dutch Wonderland and about 1/2 hour from Hershey. It has a zero entry pool, a spray/splash area, and a playground. It's just a really nice, clean, family-oriented place. We've been a few times. ETA: I don't know how old your kids are, but for us, one day at each place is plenty. One day is definitely plenty for Dutch Wonderland.

reneed
06-17-2013, 04:54 PM
DS is turning 7 in September. Thanks for the info!

minnie-zb
06-17-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm going to be watching this thread. We are talking about visiting Hershey Park this summer.

mmsmom
06-17-2013, 05:31 PM
Dutch Wonderland is definitely only 1 days worth. Hershey could be two... there is a large water park, zoo & "Chocolate World". You could do the dry stuff one day & water park the next. However we have only done day trips and that is plenty for us.

If your DS likes trains there is also the Strasbourg Railroad in the area... train museum & train rides.

maybeebaby08
06-17-2013, 05:54 PM
I agree one day is usually enough at each park. Hershey lets you go to the park for free for 2-3 hours the night before you plan to go if you show your ticket. So you could go up in the afternoon, go to Chocolate World then go to the park and go again the next day. Chocolate World is free. Eden Resort is nice, and they have a great Sunday morning Brunch. Lancaster has the outlets (Pottery Barn Kids) and the touristy Amish things. There are a lot of food factory tours pretzels, chips, etc around there. Sight & Sound does amazing live productions of Bible stories. Great vacation with kids!

Still-in-Shock
06-17-2013, 06:18 PM
The Hershey Hotel may have some specials when you are going, so take a look. And kids eat free there!

egoldber
06-17-2013, 07:37 PM
How old is he, how tall is he, and does he like thrill rides?

The coasters at Hershey are big and fast. Many have pretty tall height requirements. If he wants to do them all and do the water park, you'll need a LONG day. We went with older DD's Girl Scout troop a couple weekends ago and we spent all day and were worn out by 7. And we did not even go to the water park area.

But my younger DD would have found little to do there other than kiddie rides and the water play area. Be aware that they close the water rides and coasters if there is lightning, so do them before afternoon thunderstorms if you can.

ZeeBaby
06-17-2013, 07:38 PM
We are very partial to the Best Western Premier Eden Resort that is very close to Dutch Wonderland and about 1/2 hour from Hershey. It has a zero entry pool, a spray/splash area, and a playground. It's just a really nice, clean, family-oriented place. We've been a few times. ETA: I don't know how old your kids are, but for us, one day at each place is plenty. One day is definitely plenty for Dutch Wonderland.

We love the Eden. We have stayed there the past 3 years.

writermama
06-17-2013, 08:13 PM
While you're in the area, also consider a tour and lesson in hand-twisting a pretzel at the Julius Sturgis pretzel bakery (made pre-school famous by an episode of Mr. Rogers) and a look at the Wilbur Chocolate factory.

Wilbur doesn't let you on the actual factory floor, but they have a window where you can watch workers making hand-made chocolates for the shop, a collection of chocolate molds and pots, and delicious chocolate and cocoa to purchase. Try the Wilbur buds. You may never want a Hershey's kiss again.

http://www.juliussturgis.com/

http://www.wilburbuds.com/docs/visit.html

Seitvonzu
06-17-2013, 08:47 PM
oh my goodness- we just spent YESTERDAY at hershey park. we're going to dutch wonderland on wednesday (with visiting cousins)

i'm pooped just thinking about it :) hershey was a LONG day. my daughter is newly 5.5 and LOVES thrill rides, but she was limited in what she could ride due to height requirements...we went on 2 roller coasters (the sooper dooper looper and the comet) and she rode everything else she was allowed on ;) (this included little rides, even though she LOVES big coasters she is satisfied with other things, and insisted on riding the "balloon ride" two times) we got there around 10 and there until about 9, then we went to chocolate world ;) (we just did the "free" part...and bought expensive ice cream and chocolate we could get at the grocery store)

we DID go to the waterpark for a bit even though it never got out of the 70s yesterday. i was FREEZING! we did the slides (that we could), the wave pool, the lazy river and some of the splash areas. we did not go to zooamerica. we didn't go to ANY shows. i think that hershey has enough for two days if you're going to want to do any coasters. also-- you can't ride nearly anything if you have any "baggage"-- you have to leave purses and any loose articles with a non-rider. this eats up time in my opinion. this included the swings. everything. it was a bit ridiculous. another time suck? the fact that their maps are terrible and it's hard to get your bearings... prepare for TONS of walking.

we love dutch wonderland :) we can ride every ride and see everyshow and do the water park, if we are efficient :) (if short on time, SKIP THE BOAT RIDE- the wait is FOREVER...even if no one is there, DO NOT DO IT!) it's so lovely, but on the young side. my daughter loves it :) i love it. daddy loves it. it's always a dutch wonderful day!

no advice on where to stay- we always do day trips. i'm interested in the pretzel/chocolate town-- i love factory tours! my friend's brother is actually the city planner for that town (just found out) looks so cute :) (i've been to the town but not the factory tours- too cute!)

maydaymommy
06-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Yep - "everyone" stays at Eden!

I love DW, but pushing 7 is getting towards its age limit, unless your dc has little experience with rides.

Also look into The Hershey Lodge. More family friendly than Hotel Hershey.

reneed
06-17-2013, 09:34 PM
My son loves rides. He is 53" tall and I would be thrilled if he doesn't make the height requirement for the bigger coasters! I think we are going to plan on 2 days in Hershey and we can use any extra time to check out chocolate world and that sort of thing. I like the idea of 2-3 hours the night before!

reneed
06-17-2013, 09:35 PM
The hershey hotels are showing sold out the days we are planning on going. I'm going to check alternate dates and Eden

writermama
06-17-2013, 10:01 PM
i love factory tours!

Oh, then you'd also want to check out the Herr's factory tour. (A bit of a hike from Hershey/Lititz). Unlike just about everyone else, they actually take you through the working factory (provided you go during working hours).

Utz in Hanover has a walk-through above the factory floor where you can watch the machinery running. Call first to make sure the factory is operating (not just open for tours) before you go.