PDA

View Full Version : Struggling to buy something for baby. can anyone relate?

megs4413
06-20-2013, 02:22 PM
So, I'm hoping to buy as much used for this baby as is reasonable. I am looking for a very specific swing (because of features) and didn't think I'd be able to find it used, but someone posted it on a local garage sale group today. It looks to be in great shape and the price is great.

So, I'm totally interested, but I'm really struggling with making our first purchase for baby. I had a hard time biting the bullet and getting maternity clothes even. I never experienced this with my other kids and I don't know what's causing it. Does anyone else struggle with this? I'm midway through this pregnancy and have had TONS of checkups. There's no reason to hold back from preparing for baby, but I'm feeling a lot of anxiety about just getting one thing. :(

Philly Mom
06-20-2013, 02:46 PM
I am the same way though part of that is my Jewish background. Bad luck. We have our 20 week US tomorrow and I know if it is a boy, DH will want to do lots of shopping and I will have to pretend to be ready to do the same even though I would prefer waiting. I wish I could snap my fingers when the baby is born and have what is needed done but not before then.

TxCat
06-20-2013, 03:01 PM
You're not alone. :hug: I had the same problem too. I think it wasn't until I was 24 weeks or a little later that I was finally ready to buy something - I took the plunge and got a nursing pillow and the FP RnP sleeper off of Amazon. And then around 28 or 29 weeks I was finally able to buy a new little Carter's one-piece for the baby. I'm still finding it hard to get the nursery ready, wash old clothes and organize them, etc. It's not so much lack of time, but something else... nerves, fear, silly worries, etc. Part of the problem is that this is a more high-risk pregnancy than the first time around - all the extra monitoring has been fine so far and I start twice-weekly NSTs/AFIs next week, but still... I feel like in some ways, I was more blissfully unaware and ignorant of potentially bad outcomes the first time around!

sarahsthreads
06-20-2013, 03:03 PM
I feel a little weird buying things for this baby too. We haven't even bought a carseat yet, or even decided which one to get, and if my history holds I only have maybe eight weeks left. I walk into places like Babies R Us and walk out...overwhelmed? I'm not sure. There's so much to replace, and so much to get ready, and I feel like it's all too much to think about. Clearly, though, we need a carseat, so I can't justify why I don't just make a decision and buy the thing already!

I think if I were you and there was something very specific I knew I wanted and I could get it at a great price, I'd just do it. You'll feel better if you do, and you'll regret it if you miss it, right?

Sarah :)

BDKmom
06-20-2013, 04:25 PM
I sort of felt that way with both my DC. And they were very smooth, no complications pregnancies. It got easier after I bought the first thing. Then, especially with DD, I got on a roll and went a bit overboard. I say get the swing and see how you feel. If it still doesn't feel right, just get a car seat to bring her home in and get the rest later. Most everything you won't need immediately anyway.

pb&j
06-20-2013, 04:43 PM
I hear you. After we lost our first, even though everything was fine, totally fine, with DS, I bought almost nothing before he was born. I didn't have a baby shower. My mom bought us a crib, which actually I was pretty upset about. I had a pack n play, some blankets, a couple of gifts (bouncy, clothes), one nursing bra, and ONE pack of diapers. His room was (and still is, lol) builder's beige.

Your DS's health problems and this baby's cleft have understandably put you in not the same kind of place most people are when they are expecting. I totally get it. :hug5:

georgiegirl
06-20-2013, 05:19 PM
I'm 32 weeks and the car seat just arrived today. The other day I just ordered newborn diapers and wipes from amazon. (I try not to go to Target anymore because DS just begs me to buy him toys.) I didn't buy anything forever with this pregnancy. I have more than enough clothes with hand me downs from DS and my nephew (who is 4 months old.). I'm trying to be minimalistic this time around. Boobs, diapers, clothing, a car seat...that's really all baby needs, right?

megs4413
06-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Well I went ahead and bought it. I do feel good about it. Maybe I can stop expecting disaster and just enjoy this as much as possible. I need to try to change my thinking. Nothing I do is going to change the outcome of this thing, right? I just need to embrace the lack of control...it's hard, but I'm just going to be miserable all the time if I don't.

abh5e8
06-20-2013, 07:49 PM
i was that way this time around too. my mom bought our carseat and dh wanted to go ahead and install it, to make sure it fit and all. I was 35 weeks, but still it felt weird. (and i kept the box and receipt, just in case. we finally threw it out yesterday and dd is 3 weeks old). i bought a package of newborn diapers at target and thats it. i had clothes given to use by my sister and a friend. i actually shopped more for my HB supplies then for the baby. but, she is DC#4, so we have a stroller, pump, bouncy seat and swing.