PDA

View Full Version : Facial skincare regimen for acne-prone skin?

indigo99
06-20-2013, 11:14 PM
I tried looking up old threads but didn't have much luck. I'm turning 36 this year and really thought that I'd be over acne by now but no such luck. I didn't break out while pregnant (or BFing much), but now I'm back to having acne regularly. My pores have also gotten bigger, and I'm having more blackheads than ever before. Help! I need product recommendations: cleanser, toner, spot treatment, moisturizer, sunscreen etc. What works, scores well on skin deep, and doesn't break you out? I have a light to medium complexion with combination skin (I must avoid oil in products but do need moisturizer).

jerseygirl07067
06-21-2013, 01:26 AM
Two good resources...acne.org and also facerealityskincare.com I actually became a long distance client and love their mandelic acid. It's a type of glycolic acid that is fat soluble, so it help get rid of the congestion and breakouts! Good luck!

Ilovegelato
06-21-2013, 04:20 AM
Is your skin dry or oily? I've always had acne, but I'm finding my skin needs have changed over the years. As a teen my skin was oily and acne prone and now I am really dry and acne prone. As a result, not moisturizing enough at the moment has got my skin into messes too.

georgiegirl
06-21-2013, 07:34 AM
Unfortunately, I think it's mostly hormonal. I have has horrible acne during various phases on my life (I was even on accutane as a teenager, which fixed the problem short term, but I had acne later in life too.). I'm the opposite from you. My skin is clear when pregnant.

I like organic argan oil as a moisturizer.

mom2khj
06-21-2013, 07:44 AM
I posted here about Paula's Choice. Has been a lifesaver for me.

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?460916-Skincare-help

Reyadawnbringer
06-21-2013, 08:12 AM
I am really digging the way my skin looks and feels with the organic agran oil. I have really oily terrible skin. I get weird patches of eczema and dry flakies on top of heavy oil and the best thing I have tried for my erratic skin is the oil.

AnnieW625
06-21-2013, 08:33 AM
When my acne is really bad I swear by Kiehl's Blue Herbal Gel Cleanser and toner. Moisturizer will be a tough one to figure out. For the longest time I have used one with SPF 15 from Avon, but it is now discontinued so I need to find other options. I would go to a dermatologist as well. Tazorac, and Benzaclin are amazing. There might be a lot of trial and error (ie: I can't do any topical BHA products like Paula's Choice because they make me break out, and an all natural line called Boscia breaks me out as well) but I wish you lots of luck finding a regimen that works.

alirebco
06-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Eating paleo - especially no sugar, no grains and no dairy - has done wonders for my skin. I also did OCM for a year and used a homemade ACV toner and jojoba to moisturizer and tamanu at night. I'm now using the Infiniti line from Primal Life Organics and loving it.

Binkandabee
06-21-2013, 11:38 AM
I've started breaking out again in my mid 30's after a 10 year reprieve. But, now I'm dry and breaking out as opposed to being oily and breaking out. I've been using Cetaphil gentle cleanser with my clarisonic (I've found exfoliating is a must for me these days). For moisture in the morning, I've been using cerave am because it has sunscreen. At night, I've been using Oil of Olay regenerist microscuplting cream. This combination has been working well for me.

I especially LOVE the Cetaphil. It's so gentle on my skin.

lovin2shop
06-21-2013, 11:41 AM
My deem says that women suffering with acne in their late 30's to mid 40's is usually a result of hormones. I use a topical retin A detivative and take an antibiotic when necessary, but the best results come when I take Spirinolactone. It is an androgenic hormone blocker. My acne was cystic (especially on the chin area and also on my back and chest) and was causing scarring. I would rather avoid all of these medications, but it is the only thing that had worked for me. I do have times where I can go without all but the topical, but with summer starting, I'm back to the full regimen.

wendibird22
06-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Going GF gave me the best skin of my life. I had red, inflamed, cystic acne monthly except when I was pregnant. After going GF not a single cystic acne on my face in over 18mos. I get the rare small whitehead but that's it. I use Philosophy Purity to cleanse am and pm and Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner. I use Cerave am and pm for moisturizer. The toner really helped eliminate dry patches on my cheeks. I use the lightest coverage Mac face powder and that's all the make up I need. I could very easily go bare skin and not scare small children but almost 25+yrs of wearing make up is a hard habit to break.

3isEnough
06-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Two good resources...acne.org and also facerealityskincare.com I actually became a long distance client and love their mandelic acid. It's a type of glycolic acid that is fat soluble, so it help get rid of the congestion and breakouts! Good luck!

Thanks for posting this. I checked out facerealityskncare last night and am going to try it out. I've tried so many other things that haven't worked and am desperate for a solution. I'll report back in a few months with my results!

indigo99
06-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the recs. I just have too many things to research and too many projects going on right now so I can't go into checking out everything. I just need someone to say "use this and all your problems will be solved". I really need a good dermatologist probably, but finding one and making an apt and getting a babysitter etc... argh. I took Accutane in highschool and had clear skin for a few years, but I do know that hormones make it worse. However, I'll get new acne after a day of wearing makeup or sunscreen too. My skin is just looking so bad lately.

jellibeans
06-22-2013, 10:03 PM
I also used accutane years ago. I was good for awhile but after having a few kids, I've started breaking out again. I use Rodan and Fields Unblemish line and I love it! It's expensive but worth it to me.

theriviera
06-22-2013, 10:11 PM
I was having monthly breakouts and dry (+aging) skin. I use epiduo daily and that had really helped.
My deem prescribed it. I use cetaphil pm moisturizer over it and elta md SPF 46 sunscreen. That specific SPF is for acne prone skin.