PDA

View Full Version : Conflicted on which toddler sandal to buy?

avalonmom
06-21-2013, 01:04 AM
We used to get pedipeds grip n go (Piers) but they seem to run wide and we switched to Keen Newport last summer. They also seem a bit wide so we then switched to Keen Kupa this past spring which I got for a great deal at REI. Now we need to get the next size (toddler 7) and I can't seem to find them ANYWHERE online. I really liked them since they dry quickly (I'm not sure pedipeds would dry as fast) especially in the intense summer heat. I just saw the Timberlands mad river closed toe sandal but have never tried that brand or the SRT Riff but again I wonder if they are too enclosed. I really like the Keen Kupa as it has open back which it looks like Newports no longer do.
Any suggestions on favorite summer toddler boy's sandal for medium width? My son is now 2 1/2. Do Newports tend to run wide and do they stil have odor issue? Any owners of the SRT Riff or Timberland mad river sandals care to comment? Thanks!

Nooknookmom
06-23-2013, 01:46 AM
What about Stride Rites made to play? I have to say though I was a bit disappointed with the stores new return policy..30 days. So I would find them somewhere else where the ret policy is better.

Dd2 has skinny feet and we have bought the SR for years. They also dry quick and can be machine washed. I just returned Keen newports bc they were too wide.

AnnieW625
06-23-2013, 11:09 AM
We have the girl version of the Circo water shoe from Target and have been happy with it so far. I couldn't find a link for it online right now though.

SoCalMommy
06-28-2013, 02:29 AM
I got the Timberland Mad River closed toe sandals for my DD. so far they have held up well, but they haven't really gotten wet. We have only had them a few weeks. My DD is 2 1/2 and loves them.

tg_canada
06-28-2013, 11:45 AM
I don't think the Kupa is made in infant sizes this year (up to 7); they start at toddler it seems (size 8).

The Pediped Flex Adventure line are their shoes designed for water (no separate insole) and come in your son's size. They dry as quickly as Keen's in my opinion.

My 6 year old has worn the Pediped Amazon and the Nile (girls only style) and they've been usable on her narrow foot. They've also worn the best out of any of her Pediped shoes, still in awesome condition with extensive use. All of her others have the rubber peel off the toes (if they have it), holes in the toes, stitching coming undone, etc. sooner than I think should be happening. Could never pass them down or sell but the Adventure line I could.

I just bought size 6 Newports for the baby and they don't seem overly wide on her. Her foot doesn't look wide to me and my older two have very narrow feet so I'd lean to the baby having narrow feet too...but maybe not. ;) You said you didn't like the closed back on them though. I like that they are very flexible, not stiff like I remember the kid's Keen's 6 years ago.

avalonmom
06-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the helpful comments!
So I'm narrowed down to Stride Rite Riff or Keen Newport. Some reviews state the newports are wide which is why I've hesitated. Closed back may be good to keep out rocks. Riff is a little cheaper and may be more lightweight. I don't need a water shoe as I have a Target one that's closed all over but I need a sandal to last the rest of the season and hopefully a bit into fall.