PDA

View Full Version : No food!!

niccig
06-21-2013, 09:54 PM
DS and I were out of country for 2 weeks. Get back today, DH picks us up at airport, but we dropped him off at work, then drive home. DS slept on the plane, so he watched TV while I tried to nap (with DS interrupting every 20 mins). I'm jet-lagged, exhausted, go to make DS a PB&J for lunch and there's NO FOOD. I went to grocery store day before I left so DH had food. He ate some and let rest go bad in fridge (milk has expiry date of June 7th, vegies are moldy, no bread). I scrounged up yogurt (that I bought before left and no opened but still good), cereal, granola bars, and 1/2 of vegemite sandwich leftover from lunch I packed for plane.

And DH is wondering why I'm pissed. There's no food for your jet-lagged family to eat. There's no milk for my coffee!! Guess who will be going to TJs tonight and guess who will not be going when she's jet-lagged!!!

trentsmom
06-21-2013, 11:05 PM
Welcome back! But it really stinks that there was no food when you got home. I hope DH gets lots of good food for you from TJs.

MamaMolly
06-22-2013, 10:06 AM
Ohhh that/s just wrong. :( Not nice, DH! I hope he brought you a lot of yummy things!

bisous
06-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Hope you are full of good Trader Joe's foods by now! :)

eagle
06-22-2013, 03:11 PM
just curious, but does he know how to shop for basic groceries? i know this is a bitching area but i was curious.

i know my husband doesnt know how to shop.

you can definitely use this experience to make sure he knows what to do for the next time!

rin
06-22-2013, 03:18 PM
That's so annoying.

FWIW my DH would do the exact same thing. When I'm not around to make meals, he lives off PB&Js, chips & salsa, quesadillas . . . he will ignore premade casseroles, soups, etc, and would not use up veggies or other things that required preparation.

He rarely goes grocery shopping, and when he does he does bizarre things like stock up on 15 lbs of oranges or 12 gallons of sparkling water (which we only ever serve at parties), but doesn't get eggs or toothpaste. It would not occur to him to stock up on food when people were getting back into town. If I complained, he would probably offer to call in takeout for everyone.

Is there anywhere that delivers around where you are? Can you ask him to pick up a gallon of milk on the way home from work?

niccig
06-22-2013, 06:20 PM
just curious, but does he know how to shop for basic groceries? i know this is a bitching area but i was curious.

i know my husband doesnt know how to shop.

you can definitely use this experience to make sure he knows what to do for the next time!

Oh yes, DS kept commenting on how Daddy needs to make sure there is bread and milk for when we get back from a trip. Don't think DH will forget again.

He can grocery shop, but didn't the 2 weeks I was gone. He just ate what we had. He was also working and went away both weekends, so he said he was too busy. We went out for dinner last night (I was too tired to cook anyway) and breakfast (nothing in house to eat) and then went to TJs together.

The house was clean though, so he did that.

hillview
06-22-2013, 06:45 PM
DH would do this AND it would piss me off to no end. My mom on the other hand brings groceries to our kitchen the day we arrive :)

fedoragirl
06-22-2013, 06:54 PM
I think men are just wired to think for themselves. I know I shouldn't generalize but we got back from vacation today and I asked DH about dinner and he said, "I'm not really hungry so we don't have to eat dinner." I wasn't hungry either but we do have kids who eat on schedule pretty much all the time. So I asked him if the whole family was supposed to go without dinner because he's not hungry? Get some take-out. He was apologetic and I realized that he's not used to feeding the kids everyday so it doesn't even occur to him to think ahead for them. Not an excuse but there it is.
I would be very, very upset if my fridge was empty after arriving from a 14+ hour plane trip. Yikes!

hellokitty
06-22-2013, 08:18 PM
I think that when given the chance, men will revert back to bachelor-like behavior. I would've been pissed too.

daisysmom
06-22-2013, 08:51 PM
he said, "I'm not really hungry so we don't have to eat ...." So I asked him if the whole family was supposed to go without dinner because he's not hungry?!

Your retort was great. My husband pulls this every weeks and I need to memorize this come back because I have never been able to show him how clueless he is to say this!!