PDA

View Full Version : I am not ready for this baby! I need a take home baby!

todzwife
06-21-2013, 11:31 PM
My appointment today was disappointing. 32+1 today. Cervix is dilated to a 1, soft and very thin. Sent to L&D for steroids and monitoring. Procardia is doing its job though and I didn't register enough contractions to concern them so they sent me home but I have to go back tomorrow for steroid shot #2. Baby girls head is "right there". The nurse and on call OB didn't sound too hopeful that I'd make it much further than 34 weeks. I'm scared spitless. My 35 weeker did awesome but she was very hard to nurse. I am not looking forward to that struggle. Hospital is an our away. I worry for my older kids...what do I do with them while I spend time in the NICU with a preemie? I don't have anyone here! Ugh.

Stay in baby! The logistics of you coming to early are stressing me out!

sariana
06-22-2013, 12:13 AM
Sending sticky vibes! FWIW my DD was born just shy of 36 weeks, and she did not need any time in the NICU. She was a champion nurser, too.

Tondi G
06-22-2013, 12:56 AM
Is there anyone who could come stay with you to help out? Do you have a regular baby sitter? Maybe you could talk to them about the possibility of needing them a little more frequently if the baby comes early. Hope your little one stays put for a while longer.

georgiegirl
06-22-2013, 06:57 AM
Hugs! Hopefully she will say put longer. Aren't all moms who've delivered vaginally pretty much at a 1 already? If you can keep her in a little longer, I bet she won't need much NICU time. My thoughts are with you.

megs4413
06-22-2013, 12:53 PM
My appointment today was disappointing. 32+1 today. Cervix is dilated to a 1, soft and very thin. Sent to L&D for steroids and monitoring. Procardia is doing its job though and I didn't register enough contractions to concern them so they sent me home but I have to go back tomorrow for steroid shot #2. Baby girls head is "right there". The nurse and on call OB didn't sound too hopeful that I'd make it much further than 34 weeks. I'm scared spitless. My 35 weeker did awesome but she was very hard to nurse. I am not looking forward to that struggle. Hospital is an our away. I worry for my older kids...what do I do with them while I spend time in the NICU with a preemie? I don't have anyone here! Ugh.

Stay in baby! The logistics of you coming to early are stressing me out!

Lots of stay put baby thought! Just as an encouraging story...

I went into PTL with DS at 31 weeks...I was 3cm and he was a +2 station! I went on bedrest and the ctx stopped. he wasn't born until 38+5! I was already 4cm by the time they started labor up (yes, I had to be induced with that little stinker.)

I was dilated 1 with DD at 0 station at 33 weeks. she was born at 38+0 due to spontaneous rupture of membranes (because her head was *right there* putting pressure on the bag.)

my uterus is "irritable" and I carry wicked low with baby engaging in the pelvis really early for some reason. both of mine dropped around 30 weeks.

Did they do the AFP test? are you going to try 17P shots?

Liziz
06-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Stick, stick, stick baby! ....Just for a positive perspective -- I was in the hospital on Christmas Eve at 30 weeks getting steroid shots, baby was already incredibly low (doc was surprised how low her head was). OB had a long talk w/ me to prepare me for a preemie, said she'd be really surprised if we made it to 35 weeks. I also had an "irritable" uterus. Well, we went well past that by far, DD was born only 3 days before her due date. P&PT for you and little one.

acmom
06-22-2013, 02:00 PM
I have a similar positive story to Megs4413 and Liziz...I went into preterm labor and was 3+ cm dilated with both kids at 28 weeks with a thin cervix and head down very low. With my 1st, I was in a L&D room for a a day with an isolette all set up waiting - one nurse came back in the am and said she was shocked to see I was still there and pregnant! I went on bed rest w/ procardia after a hospital stay w/ mag and steroid shots. I ended being induced with my 1st at weeks and my 2nd was born just short of 36 weeks - both did great, no NICU stays.

I remember how scary it was though worrying and not knowing what would happen if they came early. The NICU came to talk with us about having a 28 weeker both times and it was so overwhelming. I am so sorry you are going through all that! It is great that you got the steroids on board and that the procardia is helping keep the contractions at bay. Sending you positive thoughts!

123LuckyMom
06-22-2013, 02:15 PM
Sticky baby thoughts to you!!! Hugs, too!

todzwife
06-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Thank you so much for the positive stories ladies, I truly appreciate it. I know we are in good hands, were at a good place, she will be ok...

I've been on the 17p shots since 19 weeks. They were helping until about a week ago.

sarahsthreads
06-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Stay in there, baby! It's so much more comfy to grow inside your mommy!

Definitely reach out now looking for potential help. I don't know if you belong to a church or synagogue, but that could be a good resource. Or are your kids in boy scouts or girl scouts, or similar? I know our girl scout troop would organize extended playdates for a family with a baby in the NICU. (Meals, too!)

But in the meantime, lots of P&PT that your little one stays in long enough to be a take home baby! :hug:

Sarah :)

TxCat
06-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Lots of sticky thoughts coming your way!

Any chance you could be on bedrest for the next few weeks, just to get you to 35+? Would that be any easier on your kids at home? Also, how much rest are you getting at home to begin with? Even if you don't go on total bedrest, can you get a mother's helper or part-time nanny (if you don't already have one) for the next few weeks so that you don't have to run around after your kids as much? That would be much cheaper than a possible NICU stay for baby#4.

todzwife
06-22-2013, 08:13 PM
I've been on modified bed rest on and off for about a month. I plan to take it as easy as possible the next few weeks. The procardia is extremely helpful as long as I take it every 4 hours. She seems to have changed positions so I don't have the pressure today I had yesterday which is very comforting!

daisymommy
06-23-2013, 08:38 PM
If it makes you feel any better, with all 4 of my babies--at 28 weeks-- I was already 4 cm. dilated and baby was very low, and I was having intermittent contractions. I did modified bed rest with each one of them, and they stayed in till 40+ weeks! I actually had my water broken to jump start labor at 41 weeks with two of them because they didn't want to come out, and I was d.o.n.e

So hugs and sticky vibes to you!

Sent from my iPad

Simon
06-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Here's sending you some stay in there baby vibes! Ds1 and Ds2 were 34 and 35 weeks, and the Midwives and OBs were certain that Ds3 was coming when I had a bout of bad PTL around 31/32 weeks. We even called Dh back from out of state. Then, oh happy day, Ds3 stayed in until 39+ weeks. Woot! No one could believe it but we beat the odds and had a full term baby after 2 preemies. Here is hoping you make it all the way, too!

megs4413
06-26-2013, 05:35 PM
how are you and baby doing? any updates?

todzwife
06-29-2013, 11:02 PM
Still pregnant! I'm miserable today though. Everything hurts. If I was 37 weeks I'd be doing everything possible to get her out! 33+2 today. Just hurting so much!

ArizonaGirl
06-29-2013, 11:07 PM
Oh honey, I remember that.

I remember thinking at about 32 weeks in a hormonal, sleep induced haze, that a 32 weeker wouldn't be so bad, right. :rolleye0014:

Then I would snap out of it and begin counting down the days again.

:hug:, it will be over soon

MamaMolly
06-30-2013, 10:30 PM
Glad to read your update. Stick baby!

bostonsmama
07-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Hugs, Shandelle. That must be so hard. Bedrest is the devil and makes everything atrophy and hurt. :( Praying the sweet bean comes in her perfect time.

todzwife
07-02-2013, 01:10 AM
Thanks ladies! Still cooking! I told hubby a 36 weeker doesn't sound so bad, but my Inlaws will be on an Alaskan cruise until I hit 36+4, so I'm hoping I can hold off 3 more weeks!