PDA

View Full Version : What to pack - trip to mid-west and Niagara Falls

niccig
06-22-2013, 04:03 PM
We have an upcoming trip to Detroit and are driving to Niagara Falls. I'm trying to work out what to pack. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

KrisM
06-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Well, it's about 90 deg. today and will be for a few days in Detroit. So, hot weather stuff!

Passports.

What will you be doing? Mostly just visiting family or will you do activities around town?

larig
06-22-2013, 05:21 PM
hot and rainy is what it has been here this summer (in Illinois). When it rains, it POURS.

niccig
06-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Well, it's about 90 deg. today and will be for a few days in Detroit. So, hot weather stuff!

Passports.

What will you be doing? Mostly just visiting family or will you do activities around town?

Just visiting family I think. DH is in charge of this trip, but don't think he has anything else planned. It's not for a few weeks, but assuming weather will be similar.
You're hotter than us today, we're high 80s.

Is it too hot to wear capris? I was going to get another pair, but will get shorts (I hate wearing shorts!). I have a couple of dresses, skirt/short/capris with t-shirt/tank top OK? I might put in a pair of jeans + jacket for Niagara Falls, looks like it could get colder (this week they have some low 70's and for me, that's cold!)

Thanks.

KrisM
06-22-2013, 06:01 PM
It's too hot for me to wear capris. But, while 90+ is not uncommon, it's not typical, either. Just last week, we had highs in the lower 70s. I'm wearing shorts or skirts lately. I wear capris to mow the lawn, just because they're grungy already.

There are some fun outdoor waterparks that your DS might enjoy if it's hot.

niccig
06-22-2013, 06:05 PM
It's too hot for me to wear capris. But, while 90+ is not uncommon, it's not typical, either. Just last week, we had highs in the lower 70s. I'm wearing shorts or skirts lately. I wear capris to mow the lawn, just because they're grungy already.

There are some fun outdoor waterparks that your DS might enjoy if it's hot.

Thanks. I always have trouble working out what to pack as try to cover all weather possibilities, but I like to pack light as well.

We did go to one waterpark in Detroit area a few years back, can't remember which one. Because of our road trip, we're going to have less time in Detroit, so pretty sure it'll be catching up with family.

o_mom
06-22-2013, 06:31 PM
I would mainly do shorts. If you are doing inside stuff (museums, etc.) where there is A/C, then capris would be fine. I would make sure to have a pair of long pants and a lightweight jacket because it can be unpredictable. If you get an overcast/rainy day it can cool down pretty quick and evenings as well.

Also, for Niagra, pack footwear that can get wet if you are going to the falls. There is a fabulous, free, garden right around there as well.

niccig
06-23-2013, 11:38 PM
I would mainly do shorts. If you are doing inside stuff (museums, etc.) where there is A/C, then capris would be fine. I would make sure to have a pair of long pants and a lightweight jacket because it can be unpredictable. If you get an overcast/rainy day it can cool down pretty quick and evenings as well.

Also, for Niagra, pack footwear that can get wet if you are going to the falls. There is a fabulous, free, garden right around there as well.

I'll bring one long pants and a jacket. Thanks for rec. for Niagara Falls. I'm looking forward to this trip, as I've always wanted to go there.