PDA

View Full Version : ISO deal on educational material:globe and world map

daisyd
06-23-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm looking for a plain old globe and world map to teach DS soon to start K. I looked at and liked the Repogle on Amazon but it seemed expensive. Please recommend a good brand. It would be great if you could point me to a deal or let me know what time of year to buy (After back to school? /Thanksgiving?)- I'm in no hurry. Thanks!

inmypjs
06-23-2013, 05:43 PM
I was looking for the same thing a few months ago, and I ended up buying the Intelliglobe by Replogle. My kids 6 & 8 love it. I really can't say enough good things about it. I bought it from an ebay seller. It was described as a new Intelliglobe with a damaged box, and that's exactly what it was. I paid around $65. I think you'll pay half that for a decent regular globe. IMO the Intelliglobe is totally worth it. You can updated the pen too so there is no worries about the information going out of date.

IansMom
06-23-2013, 06:24 PM
I am considering this one for my preschooler. Lakeshore Learning has coupons sometimes. Not sure at isout now.

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/product/productDet.jsp?productItemID=1%2C689%2C949%2C371%2 C896%2C754&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181113&bmUID=1372026001447

Right now, he has this which we purchased at a science museum gift shop:

http://caly-toys.fr/produits/maxi-globe.html

azzeps
06-23-2013, 09:08 PM
We have an inflatable beach ball "globe"..... Probably not what you had in mind though!!

If your child has a tag reader, they have a US and a World map. Both are on my daughter's wish list so I can't comment too much on them except to say she has something similar that's the Solar System and she likes it a lot.

katydid1971
06-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Costco has really nice USA and world maps every late summer/fall. Last year they came boxed together for less than $15. I found DS's globe at B&N and was able to get is for 40 or 50% off two years ago. I think with the coupon it was bout $20 IIRC.

Gracemom
06-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Costco has really nice USA and world maps every late summer/fall. Last year they came boxed together for less than $15. I found DS's globe at B&N and was able to get is for 40 or 50% off two years ago. I think with the coupon it was bout $20 IIRC.

We have the Costco 2 map set and we love it! You can write on it and wipe off, which my kids love. I use it all the time too when I watch the news and want some context for where a country is.

ahisma
06-23-2013, 09:48 PM
My 6 yo DS loves his hugg-a-globe: http://www.amazon.com/Hugg-A-Planet-HAP-Hugg-a-Planet/dp/B0006IYLMO

He sleeps with it every night, brings it on vacation and uses it to find various countries often.

kristac
06-24-2013, 03:25 PM
We have the Tag maps which I really like. They have a lot of fun information.

We also have:
a globe I bought at a yard sale- the kids don't pay much attention to that.
A placemat sized map with one side US and one side World. The kids look at it quite a bit in the car and we use it sometimes as a quick reference. It got a ton of use during the Olympics. We bought it locally at "The Map Store".
A non laminated World map- It was hung on the wall by DS1's bed. He loved it and looked at it all the time. There were flags at the bottom and he would match them with the countries. However being non laminated eventually he accidentally ripped it a bit and them figited with the rip until it was unusable. So I highly recommend laminated. Again from "The Map Store" locally.
http://www.amazon.com/Rand-McNally-Kids-Illustrated-Wall/dp/0528852620/ref=pd_sim_b_1 - this is on the wall in the boys room as well but not right by the bed. It has lasted well but didn't get as much love as the world map. Not sure if its the style or what. Map Store as well.

I plan to go back to The Map Store soon and get a children's almanac as well as a new LAMINATED World map.

daisyd
06-27-2013, 06:32 AM
Thanks guys, I'll check out Costco. Sorry its taken me so long to get back- I've been slammed at work and home :(

maybeebaby08
06-27-2013, 07:38 AM
Tag Map was on clearance at my Target last night. $13.98 with $4 off coupon attached.

WatchingThemGrow
06-27-2013, 08:10 AM
We love those Tag maps! Also, Sam's has the US and World map rugs for $19.xx. We got one at Costco last summer. They're thin but fun.