PDA

View Full Version : Third baby, having a shower...what do I need to register for?

sarahsthreads
06-24-2013, 09:42 AM
I didn't think I was going to get a shower, but turns out I am! This one's a boy after two girls, and a five year gap since DD2. It was suggested that I register for some things to make it easier for people to know what we need. (And for various reasons it will have to be BRU, which I know is not a favorite around here, though I have to admit I like their bedding selection and their store-brand clothes better than Target's at the moment.)

I have the big stuff left from the girls - a crib, dresser/changing table, rocking chair, pack & play, bouncy seat, plastic tub, a Maclaren umbrella stroller (not for a newborn, it doesn't recline all the way). Some toys, 2 boppy pillows (with very girly covers), pink & purple crib sheets (the baby won't care, but they will probably clash with the room I'm decorating in blues, greens & browns). I've already got the quilt (not for in the crib!) made and the fabric for curtains, so we're fairly well set on decor. I'm planning to nurse and have a breast pump already. I have a mei tai style baby carrier, though the beco gemini looks tempting... I have a really nice JuJuBe BeTween that's ridiculously girly. Contemplating a new blue/green bag, although they don't make the BeTween anymore and I'm not sure I'd register for it anyway.

For various reasons, I feel weird registering for anything as big as a stroller & carseat. We're borrowing a swing, and we did get rid of the high chair, but I don't need anything like the space saver high chair for several months, so it seems silly to bother getting it now.

I won't register for specific clothing items. I love seeing what people come up with, and I do have some basic newborn & 0-3 month clothes that I already bought, so I'm sure we'll manage with whatever else people pick out. (And I still have the receipts in the bags with the things I've purchased, so duplicates are a non-issue.)

So, here's my list of things I think I could put on a registry, what am I missing?

- 2-3 crib sheets (honestly, we could probably get away with 2, and if we have a huge bedding emergency just use the girly ones that are still in DD2's closet)
- 1 new waterproof mattress pad (our two are very well worn. again, though, they're still usable.)
- changing pad for the dresser
- 2 changing pad covers
- changing pad liners (because I found these super useful with DD2)
- 2 baby towels (our large collection of these have all been given away, girly or not, but I never used more than two before they went through the wash anyway)
- a pack of baby washcloths (can *never* have enough of these, and most of ours are really worn.)
- 8-10 cloth diaper/burp cloths (DD2 will never ever give hers up, they're her snuggly thing when she's not feeling well.)
- 4-6 receiving blankets (again, all but the ones in each girl's memory box have been given away)

- baby monitor (I'm so sad, we gave away a perfectly wonderful one not that long ago, and the reviews of the newer version of the same monitor are TERRIBLE.)

- pacifiers (just a package each of a couple different kinds, until we see if/what the baby likes?)
- a small package (4?) of bottles (probably just the little medela ones, unless someone has another recommendation?) that work with my pump (we have some bottles, but I'd need to at least replace the nipples, right?)
- milk storage bags
- 4-6 infant bibs
- boppy cover (or 2?)

- a small package of newborn diapers and a larger package of size 1's
- a box of wipes
- I guess I probably need some diaper creams/lotions/etc. too? what should I register for/buy? (I feel like a brand new mom, here, because I can't remember what's useful and what's just stuff that takes up space!)

Any suggestions for things to add? Recommendations for brands/types of things? Are the amounts reasonable? I'm trying to be somewhat minimalistic here, but I also don't want to have to run out to the store on day 3 to buy something obvious I've missed...

Sarah :)

emily
06-24-2013, 12:05 PM
A mobile? Our kids really liked the Tiny Love ones.
A couple of sleep sacks for after the swaddle stage?
I swear by Triple Paste for diaper rash and use Cetaphil for body wash, shampoo. Use the Cetaphil cream too.
I probably would get a new diaper bag.

Congratulations!!

bostonsmama
06-24-2013, 12:56 PM
That looks pretty good. I hardly got anything off my registry even for the first child, so good luck with that, but it is always nice to spend 2 hours in an air conditioned store dreaming about what you'll get with all the giftcards people give. LOL

If we have a boy this time, I don't even think I'll bother registering. I'll just have the word spread that boy clothes and boy linens are welcomed and appreciated.

sarahsthreads
06-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Oh, I forgot that we still have a mobile. It's just a wind-up one, so I'm certain it will still work. Both girls loved that little aquarium that strapped to the crib side, but I think we might have gotten rid of it because the liquid inside eventually evaporated.

I forgot about sleep sacks!

I bet it will be hard to get DH on board with the new diaper bag...for some strange reason he thinks I have a bag "habit"... :ROTFLMAO:

BabyBearsMom
06-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Fisher Price Rock N' Play sleeper. It is a must have. I had it for DD2 and it was a life saver.

sarahsthreads
06-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I'm not expecting to get everything on that list by far, but it was all stuff I had thought about needing to buy myself, so if even some of it is a gift that's a bonus, right?

And honestly, I'm dreading going to BRU and doing the official registry thing. I'll probably do it with the girls during the day, because DH is so incredibly uninterested in picking this stuff out - he's happy to help paint the nursery and get things ready, but could not possibly care less about what sheets or bibs we get. (Actually, truly, neither do I - I kind of wish I didn't need to register for specific brands/colors of items and could just have a running list somewhere of what items we need, just like the above.) At least the girls will be excited to pick stuff out!

acmom
06-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Fisher Price Rock N' Play sleeper. It is a must have. I had it for DD2 and it was a life saver.

:yeahthat: loved the rock n play with my 2nd. Maybe a playmat? My kids used those a lot. And I would recommend a video monitor...we recently got one and were surprised how much we like it and use it! Made us wish we had gotten one way sooner!

Tondi G
06-24-2013, 02:19 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with putting the space saver high chair on there... you will need it! I would put some muslin baby blankets on there .... they are SO nice... wish I had them when I had babies! They have the Aden and Anais brand on the website http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?categoryId=2256249&searchURL=false&f=PAD%2FBrand+Name+Secondary%2Faden+%26+anais&fbc=1&fbn=Brand+Name+Secondary%7Caden+%26+anais
I really like the Burts Bees bubble bath (still use it for DS2 if he wants a bubble bath, it smells yummy).
Do they have good nipple butter and those soothies breast cooling things at BRU?
Do you still have one of those Gymini play met things? How about a Bumbo seat thing? Exersaucer or jumparoo?
I would put the infant car seat on there .... some people might want to get together and get you one bigger thing together.
My DS2 loved the little aquarium in the crib too.... they make a lot of different options now I think ... Aquarium, rainforest etc.
I don't know if you need something like this .... but I loved the little nail clippers like they have in this set. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3349463
Do you need a new thermometer?
Maybe some of those little link things to attach toys to the infant seat/stroller. Do you still have baby toys? stacking rings? teething toys? sophie the giraffe?

I was just over on the Babies R Us site and they have a banner that says if you register with them you will be entered to win a $5000 gift card!

If you wanted to make a registry and not have to limit yourself to Babies R Us you could do something like this http://www.wishpot.com/

niccig
06-24-2013, 03:39 PM
I I have a really nice JuJuBe BeTween that's ridiculously girly. Contemplating a new blue/green bag, although they don't make the BeTween anymore and I'm not sure I'd register for it anyway.

I was in a playgroup with moms of boys, and everyone had girly diaper bags. We were all sick and tired of the color boy and nothing girly, so we all at some point bought a pretty diaper bag. I'd keep using the BeTween, then reassess later.

bostonsmama
06-24-2013, 05:46 PM
I don't mean to steal your joy, perhaps I just don't know the right people. Only BFFs and wealthier friends got me anything off the registry. It is nice to get a completer discount, though.

We loved sleep sacks and swaddle pods!

megs4413
06-24-2013, 05:54 PM
I don't have much to add....the stuff on my registry (and no, I don't think I'm having a shower. I'm using it to keep track of what I want to purchase and I'm sure my Mom will want to give us a gift) has the basics and then the few things that are new since I had kids last that people say are indispensable..those are:
rock n play sleeper
muslin swaddle blankets
a video monitor

I also wanted to say that I think it's awesome that your friends/family are doing this for you! So nice of them!

sarahsthreads
06-24-2013, 10:08 PM
I don't mean to steal your joy, perhaps I just don't know the right people. Only BFFs and wealthier friends got me anything off the registry. It is nice to get a completer discount, though.

We loved sleep sacks and swaddle pods!

Oh my goodness, I didn't take you the wrong way! :) If I sound sort of reluctant about registering it's really because I feel awkward doing it and because it's a lot of decisions to make that I already had to make once a long time ago when the options were all different, and I kind of don't actually want to do it again. But I mentioned to DD1 the possibility of her coming with me, and she is so, so excited to pick stuff out - I'm sure her enthusiasm will be catching once we're in the store!

I don't know whether to register for specific swaddling things - neither of my girls tolerated being swaddled much past the first few days. Honestly, the nurses in the hospital kept accusing us of un-swaddling DD2, but the reality was that she was so invested in sucking on her hands that she just broke out of every swaddle anyone put her in from day one! (We have ultrasound pictures of her sucking on her fingers, and joke that she was born with them in her mouth. To this day she still sleeps that way. I cringe at the thought of future orthodontia bills.) But who knows? This little guy may want to be tucked in tight to sleep...?

mskitty
06-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Add a few bigger sized sleepers and sleep sacks. Say 6 month, 9 month, 12 months. It was great to have a few on hand when a child seems to have an overnight growth spurt and nothing fits any more.

The ladies at my office love to do themed baby shower baskets. A bath basket with wash clothes, towels, baby soap and lotion. An eating basket with bibs, teething rings, binkies, infant spoons, toddler spoons, snack traps, dishwasher basket for bottle parts, bottle brushes, etc. A bedtime basket with a few books, blankets, binkies and a soother (Cloud B gentle giraffe, Playskool gloworm or Fisher Price Ocean seahorse). A stroller basket with a bundle me, nice blanket, Freddy the Firefly, links, toy bar, etc. Hopefully that gives you a few ideas.

mskitty

sarahsthreads
06-24-2013, 10:15 PM
I don't have much to add....the stuff on my registry (and no, I don't think I'm having a shower. I'm using it to keep track of what I want to purchase and I'm sure my Mom will want to give us a gift) has the basics and then the few things that are new since I had kids last that people say are indispensable..those are:
rock n play sleeper
muslin swaddle blankets
a video monitor

I also wanted to say that I think it's awesome that your friends/family are doing this for you! So nice of them!

Yes, I agree! I'm very touched that they are doing this.

I hear a ton about that rock n play, but DH was unimpressed when we saw one at Target. He can't see how it's different than the wooden cradle or pack & play we already have. I personally wouldn't mind trying it, so maybe I'll stick one on the registry and see if someone gets it. :)

sarahsthreads
06-24-2013, 10:22 PM
Ooh, those themed baskets are great ideas - I'll have to keep them in mind for the next shower I'm invited to! :)

I guess I hadn't really thought too much past the first few months. After all, Santa will have to bring the baby *something* when he's about 4 months old, so stuff like infant spoons and bowls and toys that are a bit more interactive can really wait until then, kwim? That's what we did with DD2, so DD1 wouldn't wonder why the baby had been "bad" and didn't get presents for Christmas!

Maybe I'll put some bigger sleep sacks on there, but since I'm not registering for clothes in general hopefully not all of them will be the tiny sizes. (I tend to buy 12 month clothes for showers because they seem to get to that size much sooner than you expect - I think both of mine, as tiny as they were, were barely in 6-9 month clothes for a couple of weeks before they were all too small.)

KpbS
06-24-2013, 11:24 PM
Definitely new bottles and nipples/caps etc. but not a ton if you don't plan on needing many, several different varieties of pacifiers, Aquaphor, Halo sleepsacks (cotton newborn size) and fleece small, medium, large, changing pad/cover, and a couple of things your DDs pick out just for fun--maybe bath toys? :)

candaceb
06-25-2013, 09:28 PM
One thing that I don't think that was around when your DD's were born is the puj tub. I absolutely loved it for the first 6 months, and it took up so much less room in the bathroom than the big plastic tub.

Philly Mom
06-25-2013, 09:42 PM
I typed a whole response and it was lost. I am Jewish and therefore no shower and gifts came when DD was born. I received a lot off my registry and had to register for extra. I love the halo sleep sacks. Still using them at 23 months. We call it her cape. We only use the cotton ones year round. My mom's friends split some big gifts including a convertible car seat. I returned it for the credit and used the credit for other things and got a great deal from amazon for one. I also loved our bouncy seat. For my next baby, I know I want the rock and play and a double. I may register for both just to get the discount even if no one will buy it.

sarahsthreads
06-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Bath toys! Forgot about those...

And the Puj Tub looks really cool, but we have really low bathroom sink faucets (I hate them, but it's never gotten high enough on the honey-do list to actually get done) so I don't think it would work in our sinks.