PDA

View Full Version : Is it crazy to try for baby # 2 at age 44?

Pilotbaby
06-24-2013, 10:34 AM
Does anyone know any websites for statistics or reliable research on this? We have a 15 month old and would love to give her a sibling. Just moved so we don't have a doctor we fully trust yet to get facts from and would love to do some research on our own first.

hillview
06-24-2013, 10:57 AM
No I don't think it is crazy. DH was 44 when we had DS2. As you have a 15 month old you know what it is like :)

123LuckyMom
06-24-2013, 11:09 AM
We keep thinking about baby #3, and I'm 42. Our DC are 4.5, and 15 months. DH is 46. My last pregnancy was very, very hard on my body, though, and we're worried more about my health than the prospective baby's. It's true that there are increased potentials for problems with the mom and baby at an older age, but the increases are not drastic as many make them out to be. Remember, in the days when families had many children, mothers were often pregnant at 44 and older. It's just that it was with their 20th child!

Hemlock
06-24-2013, 01:28 PM
I had #3 at age 42 and am thinking of trying for #4. I have decided to not look at the statistics. I realize that my age increases the risk certain health conditions (for me and baby). I have discussed it with my doctor and he is on board with my decision. In fact, his own mother was 44 when he was born. In a perfect world, I would have had my babies closer together (suffered from secondary infertility in my early thirties), but I feel very blessed to have my DS2 and would love for him to have a sibling closer to his age.

psimpson3-5
06-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Have you seen this thread? http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?461522-How-long-can-you-wait-to-have-a-baby-article

I read the article last week. Pretty interesting.