PDA

View Full Version : Vitamix Recipe Master Thread

Kindra178
06-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Can everyone post their fav Vitamix recipe? Looking for breakfast, lunch and dinner ideas. Thanks!

Melaine
06-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Based on my experience at Tropical smoothie, I suggest starting with the strawberry banana smoothie and adding other fruits and veggies for nearly all flavors. The banana really gives a creamy sweetness not to mention it is a cheap way to add volume to a smoothie; I've had several people say they don't like bananas but when they taste my smoothies they don't taste bananas at all and it also helps temper the tartness of some fruits like kiwi or raspberries. Raw sugar works better than regular sugar, the texture tends to blend better although I don't use sugar often.
My personal fav. smoothie is 2 bananas, 3 tbls of Peanut Butter, ice and chocolate almond milk to taste.
I use the hummus and pesto recipes from the Vitamix book.
I've made a couple soups just winging it mostly.
Other than that, we just mostly make smoothies and blended drinks (margaritas).

Binkandabee
06-24-2013, 03:50 PM
This is my personal favorite, a smoothie
(adapted from the Vitamix Lady's Emerald Ecstasy recipe)

Large handful of green grapes
1 banana
1 red apple, cored
1/3 of a fresh pineapple
1/3 bag of baby spinach (only for convenience because I try to make a bag last for three days)...use as much or little spinach as you wish
Top off with a cup of ice

rin
06-24-2013, 03:53 PM
Like Melaine said, it's nice to make sure there's something for creaminess. We add either a banana, some kefir/yogurt, or some silken tofu to pretty much all our smoothies. For all of the smoothies below, I put down tofu, but we freely sub in kefir for the tofu.

Our current favorite smoothies are:

Orange-carrot Smoothie

8 oz silken tofu
1 ripe banana
1/2 cup frozen pineapple
2-3 raw carrots, roughly chopped
2 medium oranges, peeled
ice cubes/water to consistency/taste

Green Strawberry

8 oz silken tofu
1 ripe banana
4-5 frozen strawberries
1 cup or so greens (e.g. spinach or kale)
1/4 lemon, peel & all
2 oranges, peeled
water/ice cubes to taste

Blueberry Beet Smoothie

8 oz tofu
1 ripe banana
2 oranges, peeled
1/2-1 cup frozen blueberries
1 raw beet, scrubbed & coarsely chopped
1/4 lemon, peel & all
water/ice cubes to taste

Chocolate Banana

1 ripe banana
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 oz silken tofu
6 ice cubes

I've found that lemon slices or pineapple are really good at cutting the bitterness of dark leafy greens.

As far as dinners go, we don't do much with it, but I've found that we really like tomato soup made in the vitamix. I sautee up a bunch of onions & garlic in olive oil, chop up a bunch of Roma tomatoes, then add some carrots, basil, milk & flour, and blend it all up until creamy, then salt/pepper to taste.

lovebebes
06-25-2013, 03:48 AM
This is my tried and true yummy green smoothie-it is creamy thanks to the banana which makes it palatable, and the sweetness of pineapple makes it yummy. Proportions of everything vary according to how much of what I have on hand:
A lot of spinach
A bit less of kale
One orange
One banana
Frozen pineapple chunks (perfect because they make it cold with no need for ice)
Optional: http://www.amazon.com/Healthforce-Spirulina-Azteca-Powder-500-Grams/dp/B001KQBHBO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372146450&sr=8-2&keywords=healthforce+spirulina

lovebebes
06-25-2013, 03:51 AM
As far as dinners go, we don't do much with it, but I've found that we really like tomato soup made in the vitamix. I sautee up a bunch of onions & garlic in olive oil, chop up a bunch of Roma tomatoes, then add some carrots, basil, milk & flour, and blend it all up until creamy, then salt/pepper to taste.

this sounds very yummy, thanks, will be trying it for sure. I also like tomato soup in my blendtec but was doing it a VERY lazy way-just throwing in fresh tomatoes, garlic and basil and then heating up on stove.

Beth24
06-25-2013, 10:33 AM
My favorite green smoothie--
Spinach and/or kale, cucumber, apple, lemon, ginger and ice (start with a little water to get things going).

Butternut squash soup--roast a pan of butternut squash and onion cut in chunks for 20 or 30 minutes. Put in Vitamix with chicken broth and blend. YUM!

Chilled tomato soup--purée 2 lbs ripe tomatoes with salt and pepper. Refrigerator for an hour and top with basil and EVOO.

My kids favorite smoothie--1 banana, strawberries, milk, plain greek yogurt and ice.

Protein smoothie--1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, strawberries, protein powder and ice. You can add stevia if its not sweet enough or add a banana or a sweeter fruit.

pb&j
06-25-2013, 10:53 AM
I mostly just wing it and throw in whatever fruits we have. I often use kale as well, though the colors can turn gross in a hurry - blueberries are your friend here. I also almost always add a little fresh ginger, and a teaspoon or two of chia seeds.

Kindra178
06-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Last night I tried:

1 banana
1 cut up gala apple
half of container of super greens (swiss chard, spinach and kale)
cup of ice

It was awesome. I was starving when I got home from work, so I had that as my snack. I ran out of bananas so tonight's snack smoothie might be worse. Maybe I will scoop in some greek yogurt.

Beth24, what protein powder do you use?

Beth24
06-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Last night I tried:

1 banana
1 cut up gala apple
half of container of super greens (swiss chard, spinach and kale)
cup of ice

It was awesome. I was starving when I got home from work, so I had that as my snack. I ran out of bananas so tonight's snack smoothie might be worse. Maybe I will scoop in some greek yogurt.

Beth24, what protein powder do you use?

I use Designer Whey Plain & Simple. No sweeteners or flavors. I get it on Amazon.

Kindra178
07-01-2013, 07:00 PM
I made tomato sauce tonight. I followed Vitamix's recipe except no lemon juice and brown sugar. I also added red peppers. When I transferred it to the stove, I used some cream. Awesome!

hillview
07-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Kids eat this smoothie (I don't measure so I am guessing), serves one (I double it usually for both kids who both like smoothies)
2 large tbsp of fage greek yogurt 0
1/4 cup of apple or orange juice
handful of frozen blueberries
2-3 frozen strawberries

ArizonaGirl
07-03-2013, 11:35 PM
General question...

DS is allergic to strawberries and I noticed that it seems to be an ingredient in a large amount of the smoothies posted here, has anyone tried to sub with another fruit, berry, anything.

Thanks,

We are thinking of biting the bullet and getting one :yay:

hillview
07-04-2013, 01:17 PM
General question...

DS is allergic to strawberries and I noticed that it seems to be an ingredient in a large amount of the smoothies posted here, has anyone tried to sub with another fruit, berry, anything.

Thanks,

Sure I've done my recipe with peaches, mango and banana (any of them or all) instead of strawberries.

sophiesmom03
09-12-2013, 09:27 AM
DH gave me a Vitamix for my birthday this week! Yahoo!

So far I've made a few smoothies, banana/strawberry/yogurt/oJ/blueberry types. I put spinach in mine and DH's but they definitely looked green (mine) or gray (DH's with blueberries).

How do y'all hide greens and veggies in kid smoothies? I was thinking carrots in an orange-peach-banana smoothie might work...not sure how to hide greens though...

kboyle
10-10-2013, 11:50 AM
DH gave me a Vitamix for my birthday this week! Yahoo!

So far I've made a few smoothies, banana/strawberry/yogurt/oJ/blueberry types. I put spinach in mine and DH's but they definitely looked green (mine) or gray (DH's with blueberries).

How do y'all hide greens and veggies in kid smoothies? I was thinking carrots in an orange-peach-banana smoothie might work...not sure how to hide greens though...

i don't hide them, i lied for the first week and said it was a green apple, or lime, and then a week later i said it was spinach the whole time. now we use kale which does taste "greener" but they don't care. they think it's funny that theyre drinking a salad and fruit at the same time.

General question...

Thanks,

i don't like strawberries in my smoothies other than the sweet stuff from mcD or other "smoothie" places. we use mainly pineapple or cherries, kale, banana, and unsweetened almond milk.