PDA

View Full Version : *DEAD* Foscam webcam $69 shipped -- baby video monitor option

jam224
06-24-2013, 04:41 PM
UPDATE: Looks like the deal is dead.

Adorama has the Foscam 8910 on sale for $68.99. Shipping is free and tax is only charged for NY & NJ.
White: http://www.adorama.com/FOFI8910WWT.html?EmailPrice=T
Black: http://www.adorama.com/FOFI8910WBK.html?EmailPrice=T
(If you view the links on your mobile device, the sale price won't show up, just FYI.)

You can go through Ebates for 1% back. Click through the first link titled, "Street Fair Extravaganza Sale," and that will take you to the sale page. The Foscam cameras are in the "Network/Storage" section.

I finally bit the bullet and bought this. I'm looking to set this up as a video monitor option for my toddler's bedroom. There are apps for the iPad and Android phone, which are the devices I'm planning to use as the monitors.

ETA: The sale should be good through the end of the week. I got the email on Sunday 6/23 and it says it's good for "one week only."

♥ms.pacman♥
06-24-2013, 05:00 PM
this is a GREAT price. i have two of these foscams and i've been using them for the past 2 years as dual video monitor for thekids rooms. i researched and this was the best and cheapest option for video monitoring two different rooms. i think i paid $95 or so (each) for mine so this is a great deal.

the great thing is that with the app you can monitor the camera from ipad, iphone etc so it can also be used as sort of a nanny cam as well when you are out of the house. there was one amazon reviewer (not sure it is still there) that put one for his front yard as a security cam, and was able catch video of their neighbor's dog making poop in their yard (the resolution was good enough you could see the dog making his business, LOL)..which they used as evidence to convince neighbor it WAS their dog who kept pooping on their lawn.

if anyone has any questions i'd be happy to answer. i'm at work but i can post pics of screenshots etc later.

KonzaPrairie
06-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Thank you so much for posting! I had been wanting to buy but this (also for my toddler's room!) but was procrastinating feeling like I didn't really know what I was getting into here. So the only other thing we'll need to do to set it up is download the app on our ipad/android?

♥ms.pacman♥
06-24-2013, 06:01 PM
Thank you so much for posting! I had been wanting to buy but this (also for my toddler's room!) but was procrastinating feeling like I didn't really know what I was getting into here. So the only other thing we'll need to do to set it up is download the app on our ipad/android?

well it's a bit more complicated than that. since it's over the network there are a few things you have to do to get it setup. that's probably the one reason (IMO) more people don't use these. IIRC the instructions that come with this camera aren't the greatest (from China, poorly translated, hard to understand). but if you are a bit tech savvy and know how to set up the wireless in your home you can figure it out.

dont' know if it's changed but i think was designed to use internet explorer as the browser for the video. if u dont' use IE there may be some limitations (e.g. no sound). i hate IE so we only used it for video and used Sony BabyCall we already had for audio.

KonzaPrairie
06-24-2013, 09:22 PM
I think we should be able to handle that, or at least DH should! Order placed :) Thanks for all the info!

jam224
06-25-2013, 12:42 AM
well it's a bit more complicated than that. since it's over the network there are a few things you have to do to get it setup. that's probably the one reason (IMO) more people don't use these. IIRC the instructions that come with this camera aren't the greatest (from China, poorly translated, hard to understand). but if you are a bit tech savvy and know how to set up the wireless in your home you can figure it out.

A friend of mine said that he found a tutorial on YouTube and used that to help him set up his camera. It might be this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xKu4uZtt3M.

Thanks, ms.pacman, for offering your expertise! :)

specialp
06-25-2013, 06:18 AM
if anyone has any questions i'd be happy to answer. i'm at work but i can post pics of screenshots etc later.

I have a different brand and we do not use it as a baby video, but I wondered if the foscam would be better. Ours does not give a continuous video stream, but is a series of frames. Takes a frame, then a second later, another frame, etc. Does foscam give you a continuous video stream?

♥ms.pacman♥
06-25-2013, 10:02 AM
I have a different brand and we do not use it as a baby video, but I wondered if the foscam would be better. Ours does not give a continuous video stream, but is a series of frames. Takes a frame, then a second later, another frame, etc. Does foscam give you a continuous video stream?

oh yeah, the foscam gives you a continuous video stream. if you search for the foscam on amazon, and search the reviews, i know some folks have linked to youtube videos they have taken with it (the dog doing his business on their lawn is a famous one, but i'm sure they may be others )

ShanaMama
06-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Can you use the fiscal without wifi?

barkley1
06-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Can you watch it in real time, or do you hVe to go back to recordings it took? I'm interested in the mobile app, not computer.

♥ms.pacman♥
06-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Can you watch it in real time, or do you hVe to go back to recordings it took? I'm interested in the mobile app, not computer.
you can watch it in realtime.you can also record snippets or capture snapshots.

tho not sure i'd recommend monitoring the video overnight on a mobile device (i tried that once on the itouch)..it really drains the battery as its constant video stream.

barkley1
06-25-2013, 09:17 PM
you can watch it in realtime.you can also record snippets or capture snapshots.

tho not sure i'd recommend monitoring the video overnight on a mobile device (i tried that once on the itouch)..it really drains the battery as its constant video stream.

Oh, I didn't think of that....so you'd have to have the laptop next to the bed to see them at night?

twowhat?
06-25-2013, 10:07 PM
I'm curious how it stores recorded video? Like can you really use it as a security camera and maybe store a week's worth of overnight video at a time?

♥ms.pacman♥
06-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Oh, I didn't think of that....so you'd have to have the laptop next to the bed to see them at night?
well i don't do that..we have an iMac on a desk in our room and the video feed is in one of the browser tabs. when dd was really little and they were both in cribs we would also have our ipods on our nightstand;..we'd check it every now and then before going to bed, then if we heard something over the audio monitor (Sony Babycall) we'd quickly check the video feed thru the ipod. nowadays we don't even do that, and we just have the video feed on the iMac and then check it if we hear crying or something which is really rare.

jam224
06-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Update: Looks like today is the last day of the sale! I got my Foscam Wednesday, but haven't gotten the chance to set it up yet. I will look more into apps and other software programs once I know what the stock software can do.

ETA: Oh, well, nevermind -- looks like they're OOS! Sorry! :oops:

kaharris83
06-28-2013, 05:44 PM
If anyone else is looking Nobetterdeal.com has quite a few Foscams. I ordered a white 8910W from them earlier this week for $47 shipped with their 10% off code. It was brand new and the box hadn't been opened, even though it was listed as open box. The 10% off code is SUMMER13.

nfceagles
07-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Amazon has a Foscam on as a lightning deal right now. $69.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

Blue Hydrangea
07-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Amazon has a Foscam on as a lightning deal right now. $69.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

THANK YOU! Missed out on the first sale, just grabbed a white one with prime. :yay:

maybeebaby08
08-08-2013, 07:08 AM
Just saw on SD that the Foscam is on sale for $64.97. I called to use a Harbor Freight coupon, the SA said no but came me 10% off my order. So $58.47 with free shipping.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Foscam-FI8910-Wireless-480-TVL-Dome-Shaped-IP-Surveillance-Camera-White-FI8910W/203512647/