PDA

View Full Version : I'm dying with the heat and humidity

georgiegirl
06-25-2013, 08:00 PM
It's about 7pm and in the high 80s with a heat index in the mid-90s. I just cannot handle being outside. This afternoon, I had to walk DS half way across the zoo in this weather to get him to his classroom for zoo camp. Between dropping him off and picking him up, I pretty much walked about a mile in this dreadful weather...half of it was uphill. I feel like absolute crap and I just cannot cool off. It's sad because DS skinned his elbow and all I could think was "I don't want to have to hug your sweaty body." Only 7 more weeks of this...

When I was pregnant with DS (mid-July baby), I totally lucked out since it was the coolest summer ever.

TxCat
06-25-2013, 09:26 PM
I feel you. Every day this week, highs in the 90s, with heat indexes approaching 100 or above. This weekend is supposed to be the hottest so far. :( Since we don't have a pool, and the community pool with DD just doesn't cut it (hard to relax and cool off when you're chasing after a toddler the whole time. I asked DH for a "getaway" this weekend - for one night we're going to a posh hotel in town that has 3 great resort pools and an amazing fitness club, while the ILs watch DD. I feel bad leaving DD, but I need the break for lots of reasons. I plan to just float my incredibly large self in the pool the whole time.

sarahsthreads
06-25-2013, 09:43 PM
So there with you. I am so regretting letting the kids play soccer this summer, because sitting out in this heat for an hour to watch a practice or game - after hauling camp chairs and bottles of ice water and everything else from the car - is killing me. High 80's/low 90's, and I swear the humidity is about 1000% at this point. I actually had to sit down on DD1's soccer ball when we were hiking back to the car the other day, because I got that buzzing in my ears and suddenly realized it was sit down or pass out.

I don't remember feeling this awful with my mid-July baby either. I don't think it was a particularly cool summer, but I only had the one to run after and we spent a lot more time with friends who helped me run after her. I don't really have that kind of support network this time around. (Those same friends all were done having kids by the time I had my oldest, so we're kind of at vastly different points in our lives now and don't get together much. :( )

I am so thankful for the pool in my backyard, though the work involved (getting the girls in their suits, getting my own huge belly in a suit, slathering sunscreen on, dragging towels and phone down the steps, and then having to stand in the sun and bake while skimming all the bugs out) almost does me in. But it's worth it to sink down in my chair/lounger thing into 78 degree water and just float for an hour while the girls splash and play around me.

Sarah :)

georgiegirl
06-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Sorry you ladies are also suffering. I just realized with my last pregnancy I was working full time in an over-air conditioned building. I think it made a difference.

TXcat, have fun on your getaway. Sounds Devine!

scrooks
06-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Add me to the list. My feet are starting to swell and I am so uncomfortable! It's been in the upper 80s-90 for the past few DHs. The worst is taking the kids to swim lessons. It's at an indoor pool and its seriously like a million degrees and 100% humidity in there. It's an hour total twice a week. I am so so glad Thursday is the last one!

it was similar weather when I had dd in July but it was 100xs worse because I had PUPS...I am praying that doesn't happen again! Being hot and itchy was the worst!

marymoo86
06-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Sorry you ladies are also suffering. I just realized with my last pregnancy I was working full time in an over-air conditioned building. I think it made a difference.

TXcat, have fun on your getaway. Sounds Devine!

This is me. First time I'm not wearing fleece from the AC!

DrSally
06-25-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm not preggo, and I think I almost had a heat stroke from all day at the beach. The kids were in and out of the water, drinking lots, etc. i was out in the sun all day and apparently not drinking enough. Got home and threw up several times, felt dizzy, nauseous, and headachy, and weak!

ArizonaGirl
06-25-2013, 10:55 PM
Oh honey I could have written your post last year (DD was born August 20). I live in AZ, enough said.

I was swollen the size of Mt. Vesuvius and was on modified bed rest due to the preterm labor. I actually had Dr. orders to go in the pool at least once a day and it was DIVINE. Find a pool, anywhere and use it.

Major :hug: