PDA

View Full Version : Belize with kids over Christmas

sntm
06-27-2013, 03:21 PM
I looked up some previous recs about Belize but wanted to see if anyone had any additional recommendations. We ar thinking about this as a Christmas holiday vacation with the 10 year old and the toddler who will be 1 1/2. Any places you would/would not recommend? Are the areas different enough that we should stay in more than one location or just take day trip or two for special activities? great hotels or restaurants?

SnuggleBuggles
06-27-2013, 04:30 PM
I looked up some previous recs about Belize but wanted to see if anyone had any additional recommendations. We ar thinking about this as a Christmas holiday vacation with the 10 year old and the toddler who will be 1 1/2. Any places you would/would not recommend? Are the areas different enough that we should stay in more than one location or just take day trip or two for special activities? great hotels or restaurants?

You probably already saw my posts about Belize but just in case, here's a summary. We went without kids and did 4 days inland (San Ignacio and a night in Tikal) followed by 4 days in Ambergis Cayes. I got lots of compliments from locals on my itinerary. :). I liked it too bc we really got to see a lot. Fwiw, hated Belize City; couldn't get out of their fast enough. Though the zoo was nice (except our darned driver/ guide was like a hyper 3yo at the zoo banging on enclosures and being annoying!).

Inland we stayed at the Maya Mountain Lodge. Great food onsite. Nice staff. We toured the AMT (?) caves- awesome but not sure your big kid could do it (little one very unlikely!). Took a trip to Tikal but an overnight was honestly too long for me. Admittedly I'm not a history buff.

The beach was nice but crazy windy. They said its either windy or buggy. The resort was lovely with great food, casitas and service- Matachica. If you like to snorkel or scuba, its a great destination. We took a snorkel trip to shark/ ray alley. Very cool.

One thing I was unprepared for on our trip was daylight hours- we were there in May and it got light by 5am and dark by 6pm. We were all off kilter!

Happy planning!

eta- Rojo beach bar in Ambergis Cayes was a great spot to hang out and eat.

ZeeBaby
06-27-2013, 07:35 PM
We went to Belize last year on a cruise. Belize city might not be the best place with the little one. We left them on the ship with my sister. You would need to go to the outer islands like Ambergeris Cayes. I would definitely recommend the cave tubing. It was awesome. Another option is Roatan, Honduras. We stopped there as well and loved it.