PDA

View Full Version : How do you "label" your DC clothes for school?

SoCalMommy
06-28-2013, 05:37 PM
DD will be starting pre-school in the fall and the school requires each child to have a full change of clothes for the emergency/earthquake kit (including underwear and socks). They need to be tagged with her name in some way.

These clothes will most likely sit the entire year and will not be used for daily accidents or spills, however I am not sure I want to use a marker on them since some of her clothes (including socks, etc) don't have actual clothing tags/labels.

How do you mark your child's clothes? I have heard about labels and permanent markers but I want to be able to remove her name if I resell or pass them on to friends.

What works best? What caused you problems and will never do again?

Plus, are there other non-clothing items that you would recommend labeling (other than her backpack) for everyday use?

SnuggleBuggles
06-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Sharpie- add last name for hand me down sake.

123LuckyMom
06-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Well, I use an ink embosser from One Step Ahead. It's great! I have given clothes away with DS's name still in them. I just use a sharpie to block the name. This wouldn't work for resale, though.

I don't label ALL his clothes, though, just the ones that we leave at school in case of accidents, temp changes, etc. I tend to buy these "spare clothes" from Walmart on sale. I send him with two pairs of charcoal sweat pants and a sweatshirt in winter and two pairs of khaki shorts and navy blue t-shirts in summer. These clothes stay in his cubby except on rare occasions, and I got tired of sacrificing sets of nice clothes to the cubby, so I started getting him super cheap sets solely for that purpose.

As well as the cubby clothing, I mark all outerwear, snow boots, swim clothes, towels, and swim shoes. Anything that might get confused with some other child's stuff, I label.

rolypoly27
06-28-2013, 07:05 PM
We use Name Bubbles and love them. They can go in the laundry or dishwasher and can be removed if needed. We label clothes, jacket, hat, blanket, sheet (for nap time), shoes, lunchbox, containers, and anything else that goes to daycare/preschool. Socks are labeled with a sharpie on the bottom. Socks get so dirty and worn out that I don't plan on handing them down anyway.

marymoo86
06-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Can you not just put in a ziploc bag with name?

lizzywednesday
06-28-2013, 08:21 PM

:yeahthat:

I get spare clothes on sale at either Target or Old Navy, and stick them in a gallon-size freezer bag.

The only clothes I tag are her coats, hats, and mittens.

AnnieW625
06-28-2013, 08:45 PM
We put Name Bubbles (I like the original mini circle labels) on the tags of the clothes if they need to be labeled. If I ever to re sell or hand me down they remove pretty easily, but not easily in the washer/dryer.

citymama
06-28-2013, 09:01 PM
I label the "good" clothes, especially outwear, with Name Bubbles. The clothes I leave at school are usually Target or Old Navy items that I couldn't care much about - I put them in a shoebox with her name, per the school's request. We also leave a couple of changes of clothes in her cubby in case of accidents, and again, it's usually something I don't care about. I've used Sharpie in the label on occasion, but def Name Bubbles for anything I care about.

PZMommy
06-28-2013, 09:33 PM
For daycare I buy cheap clothes at Target, and I do label them with a sharpie. They are cheap clothes that I don't plan to hand down or sell, so I don't mind labeling them.

SoCalMommy
06-29-2013, 02:27 AM

That is an excellent idea! I never thought of that. I would hope that would be acceptable. I also like the idea of just including clothes that we don't feel strongly about. We need to include a sweatshirt, undergarments and a few other things so I might just use hand me downs or stained clothes. Definitely won't leave anything we would be sad if we lost or that might be worthy of resale.

I will also check out the Name Bubbles for other things. Thanks!

hillview
07-01-2013, 11:34 AM
we pick cheap/play clothes for the extra in school. We label everything with the Mabel's labels which come off. They all go in a ziploc bag with a name on it as well.

BabyBearsMom
07-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Mabels Labels

Kindra178
07-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Mabel's Labels. We use them on everything including backpacks, water bottles, jackets, clothes, etc.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Mabel's Labels. We use them on everything including backpacks, water bottles, jackets, clothes, etc.
:yeahthat: love mabel's labels. we've never had them come off.

we put spare clothing & shoes in ziplock with name but i dn't think that's enough bc then when the time comes to use them, they still may get mixed up somewhere. my dd takes her shoes off all the time. i use a mabels label on the tag. and i use the big circle ones on the inside of the sole for shoes.

SoCalMommy
07-01-2013, 08:15 PM

Are these different in any way to Name Bubbles?

ett
07-01-2013, 09:28 PM
we pick cheap/play clothes for the extra in school. We label everything with the Mabel's labels which come off. They all go in a ziploc bag with a name on it as well.

:yeahthat: I also label jackets, hats, gloves, shoes, boots, lunchbox, water bottle, and backpack.

KpbS
07-04-2013, 01:07 AM
I use Label Daddy labels. Great customer service and great labels. I don't label every shirt (their spare clothes go into a large ziploc that is labeled with a sharpie) but every jacket, gym shoe, hat, notebook, backpack, lunch bag, etc. gets labeled.

Nooknookmom
07-04-2013, 02:49 AM
I always used a black laundry marker. Never came off. Backpacks, lunch pails, etc get the sharpie treatment.

SoCalMommy
07-22-2013, 02:08 AM
Two questions-
1) how do you label gloves/mittens or socks? If you have labels, where do you put them so they don't fall off or irritate your LO, or do you use a sharpie and mark them on the toes or something?

2) for those who use labels, do you really need various different kinds for different items (I.e., clothing labels for tags vs. tag less clothes, shoes, gear) or can one type be universally used?
Thanks!

Andi98989
07-24-2013, 11:17 AM
We use Oliver's Labels - similar to Mabelts, etc... Went with them because they had a better set of patterns etc... for us. We use the Stick-eez (http://www.oliverslabels.com/products/product.aspx?productid=16&productname=stick-eez-clothing-labels) labels on all our clothing pieces (with or without a tag). Mittens we do inside the cuff; shoes they are on the back of the tongue; unders and clothes they are by where the tag is or would be.

We use Waterproof Original Labels (http://www.oliverslabels.com/products/product.aspx?productid=1&productname=original-labels) on lunch containers, thermos, etc....

We use mini bag tags (http://www.oliverslabels.com/products/product.aspx?productid=6&productname=mini-bag-tag) on backpack and lunchbox.

Kindra178
07-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Are these different in any way to Name Bubbles?

Just saw this. I don't think so. I actually ordered Name Bubbles last night because I have been extremely annoyed with Mabel's packaging. The labels (we usually buy the school pack) are stuck together in a little booklet. Seems like a great idea, but there are dividers between the labels that make them way harder to get off. We will actually lose some labels because of it. I have been buying Mabel's for 5 years too.