PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater Canvas Whale Bag $19.99 - 2 for $29.99?!?!

brianaw
06-29-2013, 12:38 PM
I've been wanting to get a Saltwater Creek Canvas whale bag for a long time, however, the price is never what I'm willing to spend and it seems like I keep missing the deals.

This morning I started to look around for other bags and I swear this bag looks JUST LIKE the SW Canvas Whale Bag and it's $19.99 or 2 for $29.99. Is this an imitation or the real deal? Has anyone ever bought one? Is it good quality if not a real Saltwater Canvas.

It sure is a great price! So tempting... I think I can pay using paypal so it will be a secure transaction (just in case it's a scam).

Any feedback would be great! Thanks.

OH!! BTW!! I went to Dick's Sporting Goods last night and purchased a Sport Brella for $15 and a Sport Brella XL for $29. I used my $10 off of $50 from my Entertainment Book. Scored! They are having their clearance specials so if you are in the need... run! Great price.

Here was the bag link:

https://secure.beachmall.com/c=3jl4T09b5n3Wk8HLVuWkRM1s1/s=www.beachmall.com/product/WBMB12/Quick-Dry-Beach-Bags-with-exterior-pockets.html

brianaw
06-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Just googled it. Looks like Saltwater has mentioned them on their Twitter page. Not their bags. Someone is using a very similar design. Stinks because it truly is a great price if it's the same bag. :(

brianaw
06-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Just googled it. Looks like Saltwater has mentioned them on their Twitter page. Not their bags. Someone is using a very similar design. Stinks because it truly is a great price if it's the same bag. :(

I looked on the Saltwater Canvas Facebook and the owner (who is VERY sweet) mentioned that she is selling some bags off her site (via email):

CLEAN MY CASTLE! I have gotten together all my home made bags. They are just like the ones out there, except different. If you see one you want, please email me at [email protected].

I emailed her and got a response right away. She was super sweet. Just thought I would share if any of you are looking for a deal on a Saltwater Canvas bag without buying from a fraud.

kristac
06-29-2013, 04:21 PM
Looks smaller then a whale to me.

TwinFoxes
06-29-2013, 06:02 PM
On the SWC facebook page she wrote this:

Absolutely horrible day. There is a bag copier out there, who has literally stolen the whale bag. Even their product code starts with WB. Shame on beachmall.com for stealing someone's livelihood.

I looked on the Saltwater Canvas Facebook and the owner (who is VERY sweet) mentioned that she is selling some bags off her site (via email):

CLEAN MY CASTLE! I have gotten together all my home made bags. They are just like the ones out there, except different. If you see one you want, please email me at [email protected].

I emailed her and got a response right away. She was super sweet. Just thought I would share if any of you are looking for a deal on a Saltwater Canvas bag without buying from a fraud.

I couldn't find this on her page. Maybe they're all gone?

ahisma
06-29-2013, 06:13 PM
I emailed her - she had a deluge of emails and set up a special code. She said it was okay to share.

Code: windsor
25% off through midnight Sunday.

Thanks OP! I'd much rather buy the real thing, especially since it's a small business.

wallawala
06-29-2013, 07:30 PM
I emailed her - she had a deluge of emails and set up a special code. She said it was okay to share.

Thanks OP! I'd much rather buy the real thing, especially since it's a small business.

Me too!! Support small businesses that provide an awesome product! I love my dolphin bag, might need to get a whale now just for solidarity!

gobadgers
06-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Gah, I lost my Whale bag sometime between last fall and this spring, and just ordered a new one earlier this week! I would have paid double for it, though, honestly. I loved it that much :)

TwinFoxes
06-30-2013, 10:36 AM

i will finally take the plunge! Thanks. :)

MommyofAmaya
06-30-2013, 11:44 AM
i will finally take the plunge! Thanks. :)

Me too! Got a whale and a dolphin. Will keep the one that works best for us and will gift the other to my Mom for her birthday. I've intended to get her one for years and always wait too long. Thanks!

Gracemom
06-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Yay! What a great company to give us a discount! I have wanted a whale bag for years and finally took the plunge. Perfect timing - we are at the pool every day this summer.

Minnifer
06-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Is the Whale really big enough for a family? I mean, there's only 3 of us, but once the towels are in would there really be enough space for everything else (sunscreen, water bottles, snacks, maybe some beach/pool toys, etc)? Also, what colors are people getting - I can't decide what I like, lol!

boolady
06-30-2013, 01:27 PM
Is the Whale really big enough for a family? I mean, there's only 3 of us, but once the towels are in would there really be enough space for everything else (sunscreen, water bottles, snacks, maybe some beach/pool toys, etc)? Also, what colors are people getting - I can't decide what I like, lol!

Yes, definitely. The pockets are great for sunscreen, water bottles, shovels, etc. I guess it depends how big your toys are whether they'll fit but it will surely hold 3 towels and just about everything else.

sidmand
06-30-2013, 01:39 PM

Yes! I am not a light packer at all. I have 3 or 4 towels, tons of pool toys, sunscreen, water bottle, phone, kindle, etc. and it fits it all! I have the salsa one because it was on sale at the time. Just bought two Dolphins but I'm not even sure what ill do with them. :)

TwoBees
06-30-2013, 02:52 PM
How do these compare to the OLD LLBean Adventure totes (with the 6 pockets on the outside). I have a medium adventure tote and wanted to buy a large, but LLBean changed the design. Is the Whale bag comparable in design to the Adventure tote? Does it have a top zipper?

daniele_ut
06-30-2013, 10:11 PM
How do these compare to the OLD LLBean Adventure totes (with the 6 pockets on the outside). I have a medium adventure tote and wanted to buy a large, but LLBean changed the design. Is the Whale bag comparable in design to the Adventure tote? Does it have a top zipper?

I haven't used the LL Bean bag, but I can tell you the Whale does not have a top zipper. It looks like a bucket with a large flat base. We are on a beach vacation right now and this is the 6th or 7th year of using my Whale bag and I still love it.

candaceb
06-30-2013, 10:36 PM

I have both bags. They are totally different. The Adventure Tote is something I use as a carry-on bag and I originally bought it to take to the beach before I had a kid. The Whale is something I would really only use at the beach or pool. It is great as a beach bag - I pile in all of the sand toys, towels, sunblock, waterbottles. etc. I love the interior zippered pocket - I put my iphone in there inside of a ziplock bag, and that is where I also put cash for the snack bar :D The carabiner at the top is nice for my keys too. I paid full price. I am cheap, rarely pay full price for anything, and I have no regrets.

ett
06-30-2013, 11:08 PM
I've been reading people rave about these bags for years here, so I finally decided to try them out. I got a whale bag, shower bag, and 2 bag straps. She's in MA so I did have to pay sales tax, but the discount code saved me way more.

tg_canada
07-01-2013, 12:28 AM
Can you not enter the discount code and pay via PayPal? I can't seem to find a place to put the code.

ETA: ah forget it, you can, you just can't use the PayPal icon to checkout, you need to go through regular checkout and then choose PayPal

Ordered a whale bag for the family and a couple large shower bags. I've been wanting to try these bags and with the discount there was no excuse. It covered my shipping to Canada and a bit more. Super nice of her to give us a discount!

JdrKuhnert
07-01-2013, 12:44 AM
Thank you for the code. I have heard about these bags and finally took the plunge. I ordered a whale bag for me and 2 pail bags for my eldest boys. I ordered in the am and they were ready for shipping later in the day. Even on Sunday - great customer service.

ckso
07-01-2013, 01:31 AM
Darn, I wish shipping was cheaper. I only want 1 whale buy

Gracemom
07-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Does anyone have the shower bag? My nephew is starting college in the fall and I thought that might be good for the dorms.

Madelyn
07-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Does anyone have the shower bag? My nephew is starting college in the fall and I thought that might be good for the dorms.

I have a whole bunch of shower bags. Think I bought an assorted lot (about 5?) of them years ago. I like that you can hang them on a doorknob and they stand up and it is easy to see everything inside. If something leaks you can just wipe it off and it is so easy to rinse off the entire bag or even throw it in the washing machine. I have to travel with 2 of them though. One for my stuff and one for my 3 kids. But not sure how it would work for a college dorm. Would think it should work great. A girl might want something more stylish.

Gracemom
07-01-2013, 10:03 AM
I have a whole bunch of shower bags. Think I bought an assorted lot (about 5?) of them years ago. I like that you can hang them on a doorknob and they stand up and it is easy to see everything inside. If something leaks you can just wipe it off and it is so easy to rinse off the entire bag or even throw it in the washing machine. I have to travel with 2 of them though. One for my stuff and one for my 3 kids. But not sure how it would work for a college dorm. Would think it should work great. A girl might want something more stylish.

Thank you! That's very helpful!

Binkandabee
07-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Thanks for posting this. I've been on the fence for months, the coupon was enough to convinve me that a whale, dolphin and shower bag were all items I can't live without :)

ckso
07-01-2013, 03:21 PM
The promotion is over right?

sntm
07-01-2013, 11:36 PM
It is but there is one for 15 percent off

TwoBees
07-02-2013, 08:32 AM
It is but there is one for 15 percent off

Are you able to share the code, or are they OTU codes?

elismummy
07-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Are you able to share the code, or are they OTU codes?

the code is "15", I just used it for the two purple whales (we have four kiddos) and it was about $65 shipped. . . not too bad I think, especially for how much I know we will use them!

Good luck!

MommyofAmaya
07-03-2013, 10:36 AM
My bags are out for delivery already! Totally excited b/c I didn't expect them before we went out of town tomorrow.

brianaw
07-03-2013, 10:56 PM
So glad people got in on the great offer Saltwater Canvas gave us!! I ordered a cute bag that is perfect. :) I think the customer service is amazing and would highly recommend.

On a side note, when I found this "knockoff" I mentioned it to a friend of mine. The friend went ahead and purchased the knockoff. I checked it out today when I went over to her pool. It is a pretty close knockoff with a few differences like no inside pocket (I believe Saltwater Canvas has a pocket in the whale) and the hook for your keys is different. The material seems the same. The pockets on the outside are the same. And the size seems to be the same too. Obviously the person who made the bag for this website had a Whale bag from Saltwater Canvas to use as a prototype. I'm not trying to recommend this bag, just thought I would give feedback from my original post.

Overall, if you have the money- buy from Saltwater Canvas and get an original that has a proven track record of great customer service and quality.

Gracemom
07-04-2013, 07:49 AM
I got my whale yesterday and I love it! I got the blue and green and the colors are just so vibrant. The bag did smell a bit when I first opened it, but after airing it out I don't smell it as much. Can't wait to use it this weekend!

pomegranate
07-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the code! I got the black whale bag, it came the other day, and I love it! The quality is fantastic. I didn't know mesh could be so nice.

tg_canada
07-06-2013, 12:00 AM
My order made it to Canada today! Amazing! I haven't had a chance to take a good look at anything yet, but did pull the bags out of the plastic and did not notice any smell. I did notice that the colours were very vibrant. And they look heavy duty.

tg_canada
08-02-2013, 02:34 PM
I went to use my bag for the first time about a week and a half ago and I noticed that the stitching on my Whale bag is detached on the seam of one of the side pockets for a couple inches. If I were to pull (which I won't), it will just keep coming undone. I contacted the company through their web site form a week or more ago and have not got a response yet about the issue. I have emailed again today.

daphne
08-02-2013, 02:52 PM
I went to use my bag for the first time about a week and a half ago and I noticed that the stitching on my Whale bag is detached on the seam of one of the side pockets for a couple inches. If I were to pull (which I won't), it will just keep coming undone. I contacted the company through their web site form a week or more ago and have not got a response yet about the issue. I have emailed again today.

My dolphin bag tore - an inch or so - down one seam pretty quickly after I bought it (years ago). I've just used a huge safety pin to hold it closed all these years. It's never been an issue, luckily.

billysmommy
08-03-2013, 12:19 AM

I had emailed the owner the other day with a question and heard back today. She just had surgery earlier this week so is a little behind with emails.

tg_canada
08-03-2013, 01:02 AM
I had emailed the owner the other day with a question and heard back today. She just had surgery earlier this week so is a little behind with emails.

Ah okay. That's fine then. Thanks for the info.

The unfortunate thing is I bought it specifically for our vacation next week. And I can't avoid using those pockets as we need the space. By the time I get a response, a replacement bag won't make it to me before we leave.

tg_canada
09-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Well I never did hear from the company. On one hand I feel horrible if she's ill, but someone should be looking after emails to communicate that. So to a customer that doesn't have this web sit, it just looks like super bad service to be stuck with a bag that has stitching coming undone. And she's opening up for custom orders soon...so apparently people can pick and choose fabrics to order but I can't get a reply on a defective bag. Grrrr.

Right now, I would not recommend the company as it doesn't matter how nice the bag *could* be if it comes defective and you can't get service after the fact.