PDA

View Full Version : I hate fireworks.

amom526
07-01-2013, 09:27 AM
We just moved to this house at the end of last summer. Someone very close was setting off fireworks last night around 930. Apparently we can expect this all week (says some other neighbors) even though all fireworks are illegal where I live. Police won't do anything before 10 pm, and even then they aren't much help.

Ds2 (ETA 7.5 months old) is SUCH a hard baby. He cries and fusses ALL DAY LONG. Our only saving grace is that he has recently started sleeping well between the hours of 7-midnight. Well not anymore. He was up screaming bloody murder from 930 when the fireworks went off until 1130 pm. I am so so angry. Not to mention that this baby has the loudest cry I have ever heard (been corroborated by a few people). I am way inclined to tape record his screams and blast them outside the offending house at 5 am - except that I'm not sure exactly which house it is.

I guess I have 4 more nights of this to look forward to, not to mention the many nights after that of re-teaching him not to be afraid of his crib.

Still-in-Shock
07-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Is taking him outside and letting him cry there an option? If you can see the fireworks, you can point out the pretty colors, and if not, the fresh air may calm him? If he doesn't calm down, his crying will probably sound less loud to you outside, and then if your neighbors complain, you can explain that the fireworks made him cry. Word will probably get to the right neighbor soon enough.

Back when I lived in a townhome, we had neighbors who blasted country western music out their window at night - late. We finally found a jazz station and turned the radio on in our place full blast, with the music pointed toward their place. Only had to do that twice before they got the hint, and afterward they only played music with their windows shut.

queenmama
07-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Ugh, I'm so sorry! I commiserate, though on another level.

Fireworks are for sale and legal to discharge in city limits from June 20-July 10 from 7am-10pm. Nearly three weeks!!! My dog needs anti-anxiety meds or earmuffs or something; he wakes the whole house with his howling.

Poor baby, and poor mama! Just a few more days! I hope his schedule will go back to normal when this madness is over!

Mikey0709
07-01-2013, 10:23 AM
I can understand.... we have a neighbor who illegally sets them off ALL SUMMER LONG - - pool party every weekend. And it's the 11-15 year old kids doing it. Scares me to death, yet cops will do nothing.

StantonHyde
07-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Fortunately for us, its an extreme fire hazard. If we call the cops, they actually come do something about it!!!

But.....we get TWO holiday for fireworks because the state "founders day" holiday is July 24 and that is a huge deal!!!!

With our first dog, I had to sit with him in the basement bathroom from 9-12 every night. ugh, ugh, ugh. I hate the danged things too!

Mommy_Mea
07-01-2013, 08:12 PM
ugh, that had to be so hard, DS2 was a terrible sleeper at that age, and I probably would have lost my &$+@ if fireworks woke him up during his longer stretches.

DS1 is terrified of fireworks. They are illegal here too, but you start to hear them the week before the 4th and for days afterwords. This isn't immediate neighbors setting them off, he can hear the far off noises, even with the noise machine cranked. He barely sleeps for that week, and even once the noises stop, he thinks he hears them for a week after. It is maddening.

I hope your little one goes right back to sleeping once the 4th passes!

SnuggleBuggles
07-01-2013, 08:14 PM
They just became legal in my state and I so wish they weren't! I think they should be in the hands of pros and only at certain times b

amom526
07-01-2013, 08:17 PM
I just don't get it. My block is full of kids, yet no one else seems phased by it. I guess a lot of babies are deeper sleepers? I can't even figure out where exactly it was, but it was VERY loud and sounded like they were exploding right over my house.

georgiegirl
07-01-2013, 08:34 PM
I don't like them for other reasons. It doesn't get dark enough for fireworks until nearly 10pm, and my kids want to see them, but it's way past their bedtime and I don't want to deal with two cranky kids the next day.

Still-in-Shock
07-02-2013, 11:33 AM
In case you are interested, here is a map showing Fireworks laws in different states. http://gizmodo.com/the-firework-laws-in-every-state-639187644
Apologies to those of you who live outside the US.