PDA

View Full Version : IEP response timelines

Sweetum
07-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Ours is a long convoluted story. But to describe the present situation, we had an IEP meeting recently and were offered the same set of services and placement for DS that they offered 6 months ago and that we had rejected and told them they were inappropriate and that we would be starting him in private placement. It was a 10 day notice. After that they are tried to engage with us through this IEP meeting, and we complied by attending. But my question now is, do we need to respond to them within a time period after the IEP meeting even if we don't agree with their services/placement/goals? DS does not go to public school at this time. thanks.

sariana
07-01-2013, 03:11 PM
I do think you need to respond within a certain period of time (15 days??) or else the plan will go into effect as if you approved it. But that's for public schools, AFAIK. And I'm not even sure about that. I'm not on my computer; otherwise I would try to look it up.

Gena
07-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Ours is a long convoluted story. But to describe the present situation, we had an IEP meeting recently and were offered the same set of services and placement for DS that they offered 6 months ago and that we had rejected and told them they were inappropriate and that we would be starting him in private placement. It was a 10 day notice. After that they are tried to engage with us through this IEP meeting, and we complied by attending. But my question now is, do we need to respond to them within a time period after the IEP meeting even if we don't agree with their services/placement/goals? DS does not go to public school at this time. thanks.

It sounds like you are rejecting the proposed IEP and you are requesting the district to pay for private placement. Is that correct?

According to this: http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/safgd.index.htm
you need to EITHER give written notice 10 business days before enrolling your child at private school at public expense OR at the most recent IEP meeting advise the IEP team that you are rejecting the proposed IEP and you plan to enroll your child in private school at public expense.

So it does not look like having an additional IEP meeting resets the 10 day count. Did you formally reject the IEP again at the latest meeting?

Sometimes there are rules/procedures that are state-specific. The school district should have given you a document that spells out your rights and responsibilities according to federal and state law. If you did not get it from the district, you should be able to find it on your State's Department of Education website. I would double check that just to be clear.

Sweetum
07-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Yes, your understanding is correct that we will be seeking reimbursement. And we did give them a 10 say notice prior, about a few months ago. This IEp was bd annual. So, it sounds like we so not need to so anything since we continue to disagree about their offer and think our placements and services are more appropriate.

Gena
07-03-2013, 12:50 PM
It sounds like you've done what you need. to. It wouldn't hurt to double check with a local special ed advocate if there is one in your area (maybe through your local autism group), just to make sure you have all the bases covered.

My State has a unique program that allows parents to opt out of the public school system and use public funds for private providers, so I'm not familiar with how the 10 day written notice actually works in practice.

Sweetum
07-04-2013, 01:09 AM
Thanks, Gena. I'll probably do that - that's a great idea. Some of the laws are unclear or sometimes our own situation is so unique you wonder which one would apply.
Your state's program sounds great! I like it because it is so difficult to find a good therapist match and if the only person the district has is not a good match, then you are stuck - either go there and supplement, or not go and fight over things like we are - not fun :(