PDA

View Full Version : ISO Books on CD for 5.5 yo DS1

jgenie
07-02-2013, 09:48 AM
DS1 has finally dropped his nap in prep of going to K next year. He's still doing quiet time in his room for an hour and seems to enjoy listening to books on CD. Does anyone have any favorites to recommend? Our library book on CD section is lacking but I can request books from a huge online inventory for area libraries. TIA

brittone2
07-02-2013, 10:02 AM
A.A Milne
Magic Treehouse
My kids like some of the Greathall stuff, but YMMV on how you feel about Jim Weiss

ett
07-02-2013, 10:05 AM
DS2 was 5.5 last year and enjoyed listing to Mercy Watson, Ramona, Henry Higgins, and Calendar Mysteries (same author as A to Z Mysteries - books are slightly shorter.)

ray7694
07-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Check to see if any of the libraries have Playaways. Very cool mini tv devices that hold a collection of stories.

Simon
07-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Check to see if any of the libraries have Playaways. Very cool mini tv devices that hold a collection of stories.

It depends on what his level of interest/attention span right now. Most of the following are series we listened to during K and the fall of 1st grade. We listen primarily in the car.
Frog and Toad
The Gruffalo books
Anything from author Cynthia Rylant: Henry and Mudge; Mr Putter and Tabby
American Tall Tales (http://www.amazon.com/American-Tall-Tales-Jim-Weiss/dp/1882513819) read by Jim Weiss: Pecos Bill (another version read by Robin Williams is hilarious), Johnny Appleseed, Rip van Winkle, etc. There are others in this series too.
James Herriot Animal Stories
The World According to Humphry
Clementine
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (I don't recommend the sequel, Charlie...Glass Elevator)
The Big Friendly Giant
Shel Silverstein or Jack Prelutsky poems are fun to listen to.
Wind in the Willows
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
The Secret Garden

maestramommy
07-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Our kids really love Mouse and Mole books by Wong Herbert Yee. There is another Mouse and Mole series, but they really like this one.
Henry and Mudge, Annie and Snowball are also favorites. The latter two were recommended practice books for 1st grade this year, as well as Frog and Toad, so you might see if those are available on CD. Magic Treehouse is a little hit or miss, and that's with my 7.5 yo.

jgenie
07-02-2013, 05:29 PM
A lot of these seem to be chapter books. Should we read the books aloud before I get him the CDs? TIA

maestramommy
07-02-2013, 05:56 PM
A lot of these seem to be chapter books. Should we read the books aloud before I get him the CDs? TIA

I don't think so. We got the Mouse and Mole, Henry and Mudge and Annie and Snowball books on CD for a road trip, and they were our first exposure to the books. DD1 was reading chapter books by then, but not the other two. We didn't read chapter books to them either. They are so short, they are a perfect entree to chapter books. In fact, the first time I heard them I started chuckling because I couldn't believe it WAS a chapter book. Each chapter was so short. Mouse and Mole are a little longer, so if you're concerned start with the other books.

jgenie
07-02-2013, 08:54 PM
I don't think so. We got the Mouse and Mole, Henry and Mudge and Annie and Snowball books on CD for a road trip, and they were our first exposure to the books. DD1 was reading chapter books by then, but not the other two. We didn't read chapter books to them either. They are so short, they are a perfect entree to chapter books. In fact, the first time I heard them I started chuckling because I couldn't believe it WAS a chapter book. Each chapter was so short. Mouse and Mole are a little longer, so if you're concerned start with the other books.

Thanks so much!!!