PDA

View Full Version : We're going to DL! airport? groceries? advice?

winklet
07-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Hi all,
We're SO excited for our first trip to DL this August. We're staying at Disneyland hotel for 5 nights and just trying to work out the rest of the logistics now that accommodations are taken care of. Two questions for now...

1) How to get from airport to hotel? (and then back again?)
the obvious choice would be taxi, but we are 3 adults (grandma's coming!) and 2 DD (3.5 years and 5 months). Will we fit? What about car seats? I've been going back and forth about bringing car seats (safety! but hassle... ugh), and would love to hear about transport options that include "rental" car seats or something similar... WWYD?

2) Are there any stores that would deliver some groceries to the hotel for us? I'm thinking along the lines of bottled water, diapers, milk+cereal, snacks, etc to help keep our suitcases small and manageable. Probably about $50 -70 worth. Any recommendations? I was hoping to make an order online and then have it arrive the same evening we get there. Does such a service exist close to DL?

I'm also wondering if we should be making dining reservations now, or just keep things flexible given the young ages of my DDs.
Aaaaaannd also still agonizing over whether to bring two single strollers or one double.
Any advice on these questions (or random wisdom on other DL issues too) would be most appreciated.

TIA!

winklet
07-02-2013, 07:24 PM
forgot to clarify that we fly into John Wayne airport (SNA) in Orange County, not LAX

PZMommy
07-02-2013, 10:16 PM
I can't help you with much, but we are going to Disneyland next week. After much debating, we are bringing a double stroller for our just turned 4 yr old (we are going for his birthday present), and my almost 2 yr old. I was afraid if my DH or I wanted to go and get something the other would be left with 2 strollers and no way to push both at the same time. I see you have 3 adults going, so that may make a difference.

lalasmama
07-03-2013, 12:36 AM
Hi all,
We're SO excited for our first trip to DL this August. We're staying at Disneyland hotel for 5 nights and just trying to work out the rest of the logistics now that accommodations are taken care of. Two questions for now...

1) How to get from airport to hotel? (and then back again?)
the obvious choice would be taxi, but we are 3 adults (grandma's coming!) and 2 DD (3.5 years and 5 months). Will we fit? What about car seats? I've been going back and forth about bringing car seats (safety! but hassle... ugh), and would love to hear about transport options that include "rental" car seats or something similar... WWYD?

2) Are there any stores that would deliver some groceries to the hotel for us? I'm thinking along the lines of bottled water, diapers, milk+cereal, snacks, etc to help keep our suitcases small and manageable. Probably about $50 -70 worth. Any recommendations? I was hoping to make an order online and then have it arrive the same evening we get there. Does such a service exist close to DL?

I'm also wondering if we should be making dining reservations now, or just keep things flexible given the young ages of my DDs.
Aaaaaannd also still agonizing over whether to bring two single strollers or one double.
Any advice on these questions (or random wisdom on other DL issues too) would be most appreciated.

TIA!

:bag: I'm writing a book on Disneyland, so I'll try to keep this on the shorter end of things.

For the airport/hotel transportation, my top preference is always the Disneyland Resort Express: http://graylineanaheim.com/docs/DRE%20Brochure.pdf .... Its a big Greyhound-style bus, so no carseats are needed. I've taken them 3 times now, and have nothing to complain about with them! They run about $25/pp, a little less for kids, for a round trip. They run every half hour or so during daytime hours. Renting carseats scare me--you don't know if it's clean, expired, been in a car accident, or will fit your child right... or if it will even fit the rental car right! I stress more about renting a carseat than I do about riding on a Greyhound-style bus. In that bus, we're going to run over anything in our way, ya know? Another option would be a taxi, which would need carseats, and is about $45 each way. (SNA to the DL area hotels has an agreed-upon flat rate.)

Vons.com (also known as Safeway, depending on where you live) will deliver to your hotel. Your first order, if over $50, gets free delivery.

Dining reservations are nice, but not necessary to plan way in advance. Last year, I was able to call and get a character meal at the time I wanted, about an hour later. With young kids, I'm guessing you'll probably do more counter/quick service meals than any table dining, and, of course, you don't need reservations for those!

Stroller-wise, I'd bring the double. I imagine with the ages of your children, it's unlikely that you and your DH and mom will be heading in different directions. It's not like your older one is going to be going on rides that the baby can't go on (unless your older DD is over 40").

What hotel are you staying at?

pomegranate
07-03-2013, 12:53 AM
Another vote for the Disneyland Express shuttle bus. I think there's a family rate for up to 5 people. It's the big bus with Disneyland photos on the side. Don't get fooled by imitation small shuttles that also call themselves "Disneyland Express."

winklet
07-03-2013, 01:27 AM
Thanks so much for all the replies so far! Wonderful info everyone, and very much appreciated.
I'm very glad to hear about the disneyland resort express bus, sounds like a nice easy option that would allow us to leave the car seats behind. Phew!
Great news about the groceries too... perfect.
We're staying at the disneyland hotel. We're actually attending a conference being held at the hotel, so we got a great group rate and we're looking forward to meeting some other conference families there as well.
I hope you guys won't mind if I pick your brain again later when more questions come up... Thanks again!