PDA

View Full Version : Another double question

rachelndil
07-02-2013, 10:29 PM
I've searched through all the old posts about doubles, and still not sure what to do.

I have a 14 month old DD and expecting a baby in December. They will be 19 months apart. I have the Vista, which I LOVE. It has been perfect for my needs...I used the carrycot 2/3 of the time and her car seat 1/3 of the time as a newborn, love the parent-facing seat, need the adjustable, high handlebar (DH and I are both very tall), love the high seat with my bad back, and the wheels/suspension are great for our urban neighborhood with bumpy sidewalks and some brick streets. I manage to fill the enormous basket, and like the feeling of security I get not having to pack light.

I also have a G-Luxe that is great for leaving in the car for quick shopping trips and Dr. appointments. I don't like the basket on it...can't reach anything when the seat is occupied.

My DD is at the top of the growth charts for height, and 80-85% for weight. I had assumed we would use the Vista rumble seat when we added a new baby, but looks like that is not very well-liked. I also notice it has a weight limit of 35 lbs, so DD will outgrow it before 3. Is anyone happy using it as a double?

What double would meet our needs best? I'm considering the City Mini GT double for the wheels, height for children, and recline/ability to use with newborn. Although the Bob sounds great in a lot of ways, from what I understand, it doesn't last well for tall children, and not great for tall parents. Is this correct? Are city Mini GT doubles ever on sale, or turning up used yet? I've been checking my CL for a couple weeks, and none ther, although a bunch of Bobs.

Any help is appreciated.

PZMommy
07-02-2013, 11:12 PM
I don't know that I'd want to use my Vista as a full time double. The rumble seat doesn't recline, which is a deal breaker for me.

Of the BOB and City Mini GT, I'd go with the GT, as I think the BOB is really big for shopping, or anything indoors. However, neither one would allow you to parent face after the baby is out of the carseat.

Have you ruled out the Britax B Ready and the Baby Jogger City Select?? I had a City Select, and I loved all of the different configurations I could use. Yes it is long, but I never found it too difficult to manage. I have not tried the B Ready, but it would be at the top of my list to try out if we have a third.

sherezada
07-03-2013, 10:11 AM
I love my B-Ready double stroller. However, I would urge you to try it out at the store first, if possible. My 3-year-old is not on the tall side, and he has to hunch a bit in order to be able to sleep in the second seat. I'll try to take some pics later today.

AngB
07-03-2013, 10:12 AM
My kids are 18 months apart and DS1 is 98%ile for height and about 80%ile weight. We have a B-Ready and I LOVE it, DS1 sits in either the top or bottom seat comfortably (regularly falls asleep in it), I like having DS2 on top facing me most of the time still but also use it facing out or with him on bottom. Huge easy to access basket. The only downside is it really is a beast to load and unload in and out of the car. It doesn't take a ton of room but man it is not light. It is definitely worth the hassle though and we use it daily.

AngB
07-03-2013, 10:23 AM
I love my B-Ready double stroller. However, I would urge you to try it out at the store first, if possible. My 3-year-old is not on the tall side, and he has to hunch a bit in order to be able to sleep in the second seat. I'll try to take some pics later today.

I just lean it back all the way and DS1 sleeps with the canopy folded. He's never seen uncomfortable in it but you are right that the 2nd seat is a bit short for taller or older kids with the canopy in use. Our DS2 is more avg sized so I expect I will have him on bottom more in the future. I don't like DS1 messing with the stuff in the basket when he's on bottom anyway. With a 14 month old, I wouldn't worry about it too much yet, by the time their height will be an issue, you can always put the new baby on bottom and the bigger kid on top.

That said, if I could pick again, I would be looking at the City Select carefully too.

ebp913
07-03-2013, 10:33 AM
I just wanted to add that I would get a stroller and plan to keep it for 2-3 years. Don't try to buy something to get you to age 5 right now. Focus on what you need now and then you can always try something new in a couple years when you know how tall your kids are, etc. I used to think that I needed something perfect to get me from birth to 5 but I realize now that that is really difficult and it's not really a big deal to sell a stroller and look for something new.

That said, I would look into the Bumbleride Indie Twin. You can use a bassinet with it which I have loved for my newborn. Like you, I had a Vista which I adored with DD but I sold it when DS came along because the rumble seat wasn't going to cut it. There is a complaint that the Indie Twin is not great for tall kids but by the time your kids are tall enough to outgrow it, you can move on to something else. It's plenty tall enough to get a few years out of it while your kids are young.

I do want to say that I kinda wish I hadn't sold my Vista. I use a single quite often when DD wants to walk but I just got a Bee so that will be my reversible single. I would plan to have a good double and a single for kids who are close in age.

legaleagle
07-03-2013, 11:11 AM
I just wanted to add that I would get a stroller and plan to keep it for 2-3 years. Don't try to buy something to get you to age 5 right now. Focus on what you need now and then you can always try something new in a couple years when you know how tall your kids are, etc. I used to think that I needed something perfect to get me from birth to 5 but I realize now that that is really difficult and it's not really a big deal to sell a stroller and look for something new.

:yeahthat:

Just another suggestion of the stroll air my duo. You can get optional rear air wheels to improve the ride. I'd also look at the valco trimode and zee, valcos have very tall seats. I think you can get a carrycot for both as well, and you can get optional air tires for the zee. The 2013 zee two has an adjustable handlebar, per valco's fb page.

rachelndil
07-03-2013, 10:11 PM
I had really been considering side by side doubles only. From the research I have done (mostly here and in the Baby Bargains book), side by sides tends to be liked better by their owners. I will check out the B Ready and City select, though. Although from what I can see online, it doesnt look like the second seat on either of these reclines, either? How are either of these an improvement over the Vista with Rumble seat?

I don't plan to get rid of my Vista. My parents bought it for us as their "big" baby gift, and it was a significant expense for them, plus I am attached to it. The valcos and Stroll Air weren't on my radar, but I will check those out as well.

The bumbleride Indy was off the list because of child height. DD is already quite taller, and with our family height, I can't see her slowing down to be a more average size. I haven't seen one on our Craigslist, and I would not buy a stroller I expected to outgrow quickly new.

I guess I need to try some of these out at BuyBuyBaby and see how they feel.

PZMommy
07-03-2013, 10:57 PM
Both seats on the City Select recline. They are both full sized seats. Also both seats could face out, the kids can face each other, one face you and one face out. Lots of choices! On the B Ready, the second seat is smaller, but it does recline too.