PDA

View Full Version : Is this how bunk beds are usually stacked?!

AnimalBabe
07-03-2013, 11:55 AM
So we bought a bunk bed used for our toddler and my husband finally finished putting them back together, and reinforcing the slats beneath the mattresses, etc. The beds are not stacked yet, just put together side by side at the moment. I admit I never had bunk beds and never saw how they were supposed to be assembled, so I was rather shocked when he told me that the top bunk sits only on the posts of the bottom bunk, with what looks like one wooden rod on each corner holding the beds together. I think my heart skipped a beat honestly. Is that the way the top and bottom bunks on these things are usually held together?? I couldn't believe there wasn't more screws or something to be used to stabilize it. Just wanted to check b/c I know I'll be having nightmares about the top bed collapsing on him if I don't get some confirmation that this is normal. Thanks!!

TwoBees
07-03-2013, 12:54 PM
I do not know about kids' bunk beds, but that was how the wooden bunks in my college dorms were stacked.

hellokitty
07-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Yes, I have seen bunk beds with that type of set up before.

AnimalBabe
07-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Yes, I have seen bunk beds with that type of set up before.

Awesome! Thanks for your responses. I know I'm sure I'm just being paranoid here. My mind was starting to think up all sort of scenarios in which the furniture would be bumped or shifted, etc.

bostonsmama
07-24-2013, 11:50 AM
You can go to your local hardware store (like HD or Lowes) and find a double sided screw/bolt that is the same diameter as the wooden dowel. That would make me feel a tad safer...esp with BOYS or rough & tumble children.

jerigirl
07-24-2013, 03:02 PM
I do not know about kids' bunk beds, but that was how the wooden bunks in my college dorms were stacked.

:yeahthat:

Liziz
07-24-2013, 10:15 PM

:yeahthat: